24-hour Cup race?

Charlie Spencer

Road courses and short tracks.
Yeah, it's a bit of a click-bait title.

During the Rolex coverage, Dale Jr asked (Doug Yates?) whether NASCAR engine builders could put one together that would run 24 hours. Doug (or whoever it was Jr. asked; it was late and I was drowsing) said yes, that current engines were configured to get max power for a 501-mile distance, but that builders could emphasize endurance if that's what was asked for.

Should NASCAR put an endurance race on the Cup schedule? Not necessarily 24 hours, but 6 or 8? Would driver changes be involved? Where would they run it?

I was wondering the same thing while watching the 24 Hours of Daytona. But I don't think the NASCAR schedule allows it. A 24 hour race requires a lot of special preparation and the teams have already have full time job supporting the current schedule. As a fan I'd like to see it but it would really tax the team. It is not easy to work 40 hours in a row for a race.

Yes, should of kept the roval as a 500 miler call it the 6 hours of Charlotte
I like it, but let's be clear I'm talking about a timed race, not over a scheduled distance. Timed races make crew chiefs change their race strategies.

An endurance race would bring back those questions of equipment reliability. Despite what DW keeps saying during the Coke 600, nobody has seriously been in danger of equipment failure in a decade or more. Engineering has eliminated most problems for a 500-mile distance. For those who didn't watch the Rolex, two Mazdas stayed in the top five for the first eight hours, then both experienced the mechanical failures that have cost the manufacturer this and other endurance races for years.

One question is, will fans show up for it? Current NASCAR tracks pretty much assume you're going to sit in your seat when you're not at the bathroom or buying food. Sports car fans are used to extended races, but the facilities have plenty of other things for them to do and see during the race. They're used to moving from grandstands (if they even bought a seat) to the infield, to different corners, maybe checking out the various manufacturer and car club compounds, visiting a true carnival midway, etc.

I'm still not sure how to handle driver changes. I'd like to see a race long enough that a single driver couldn't tough it out himself. Maybe a dreaded competition caution at halfway, restarting in the same order as when the caution came out? On the other hand, it's not like teams aren't somewhat familiar with driver changes already, what with sick / injured drivers being replaced at the first caution.

The other question is where do the extra drivers come from? A 20-car / 40-driver field? A rule that one driver per car must come from Xfinity or Truck ranks?

I'm still not sure how to handle driver changes. I'd like to see a race long enough that a single driver couldn't tough it out himself. Maybe a dreaded competition caution at halfway, restarting in the same order as when the caution came out? On the other hand, it's not like teams aren't somewhat familiar with driver changes already, what with sick / injured drivers being replaced at the first caution.

The other question is where do the extra drivers come from? A 20-car / 40-driver field? A rule that one driver per car must come from Xfinity or Truck ranks?
I would say 3 driver teams, one Cup, one Xfinity, one truck

Another thing to think about if it's a road course and not an oval, you have to either bring in temporary lights or rig lights onto Cup cars.

Another thing to think about if it's a road course and not an oval, you have to either bring in temporary lights or rig lights onto Cup cars.
Slap an off-road light bar on the roof. Problem solved. :D

If you run for 6 or 8 hours, it can easily be accomplished during the day. Northern tracks in the summer get at least 15 hours of daylight. Start at 11:00 or noon and you're good to go. Since it's a timed race, overtime isn't an issue.

NASCAR won't like this part, but it's probably going to have to be streamed for free a la IMSA.tv. Fans changing locations will expect to follow the action while they're moving.

Working a broom handle and wrestling a Cup Car on a road course for 12 or 24 hours -- now that would be old school!

Not sure if I'd be up for it during the schedule. I'd try to find a big sponsor make it a million dollar race, add it at the end of the year (December during the racing doldrums. Before the College Football playoff but before the holidays take hold. Thinking first or second week of December would work. ) The catch is if a Cup team fields an entry... I'd try to make it organization specific so for instance if JGR fielded a team you'd have their Cup, Xfinity guys in a car before you could bring an outsider ( like an Indy Car driver or IMSA driver). Same with RCR and so on so forth with Penske. Where it gets interesting is open it anyone in the NASCAR world... Would Kyle race JGR or field an entry with KBM? Would Kez field his own entry or race for Penske? I'd like to see Jr Motorsports do this as well with Jr and his crew of drivers plus any development guys they want to bring on from their late model teams. There are so many possibilities to this on the team/ driver side that it would draw so much attention to stock car racing as a sport. And as for the venue.... UNTIL this special race takes hold there's only one place to do it...… Daytona Road Course. Then after say about 5 years move onto other places if you wish. But I'd keep it at Daytona as long as possible. The 24 Hour Endurance NASCAR Race. Gosh this gets me super excited, someone's gotta do this.

Not sure if I'd be up for it during the schedule. I'd try to find a big sponsor make it a million dollar race, add it at the end of the year (December during the racing doldrums. Before the College Football playoff but before the holidays take hold. Thinking first or second week of December would work. )
You'll run into the heart of the NFL season, when division championships and playoff berths are still in play. If you're going to run a full 24 hours as a non-points event outside the regular season, run it the weekend before the Rolex, on the same weekend as the NFL's conference championships. Start at noon Saturday and you'll be done hours before the first game starts. The track is already gearing up for a long week anyway.

Me, I'd prefer a 6-, 8-, or 12-hour points race at a northern track in the summer. Maybe even run North of the Border, eh? CTMP or Villeneuve.

Having participated in 24 hour athletic events -- the eerie glow of nighttime-to-early morning competition activity is one of the awesome feelings you get as a competitor and crew. Watching LeMans, Daytona, and seeing video of SCORE Baja 500 racing -- I'd be overjoyed if that came to NASCAR.

An endurance event (beyond the 600) would definitely help complete the NASCAR total driver test.

You'll run into the heart of the NFL season, when division championships and playoff berths are still in play. If you're going to run a full 24 hours as a non-points event outside the regular season, run it the weekend before the Rolex, on the same weekend as the NFL's conference championships. Start at noon Saturday and you'll be done hours before the first game starts. The track is already gearing up for a long week anyway.

Me, I'd prefer a 6-, 8-, or 12-hour points race at a northern track in the summer. Maybe even run North of the Border, eh? CTMP or Villeneuve.
I would love to see it at Villeneve, but it is a real hassle for teams going across the border, and it's huge and isn't lighted....and Nascar doesn't own it. :idunno: Sonoma during rainy season when it is green instead of brown?

IF they run an endurance race event --

the next week should be an "off week"

I'd like to see more NASCAR drivers in the 24 Hours of Daytona, there used to be more. NASCAR drivers have shown they can compete with some of the world's drivers in the race around the clock (some have won watches). The number has declined - probably due to sponsor and team restrictions.

Yeah, it's a bit of a click-bait title.

During the Rolex coverage, Dale Jr asked (Doug Yates?) whether NASCAR engine builders could put one together that would run 24 hours. Doug (or whoever it was Jr. asked; it was late and I was drowsing) said yes, that current engines were configured to get max power for a 501-mile distance, but that builders could emphasize endurance if that's what was asked for.

Should NASCAR put an endurance race on the Cup schedule? Not necessarily 24 hours, but 6 or 8? Would driver changes be involved? Where would they run it?

I think for the fans that like anything Nascar this could be an enjoyable event.

I like that idea of 3 drivers, one from each series ( running for points in that series) and all must drive a min time.
I think it would have to be a course like the Roval for it to be fair which would allow other tracks to reconfigure. I am sure you have something unique with this idea and would boost Nascar if run twice a year only.

I think if NASCAR got serious about doing it, Daytona circuit would be the easiest option available to them.

Option 1: At Daytona 24 hours, with all 3 series running, 48 car field, top 16 in standings get in from the year before, 6 playoff bonus points to the winner, 3 to 2nd, 1 to 3rd (no other points). IMO I would scrap the exhibition Clash (that's a really prime spot weekend after the Superbowl imo to be wasting it on a pretentious 20 car plate race that nobody cares about imo) The doubling tripling up on plate races Practice, Clash, Duels, then 500...knock it down to Practice, Qual, 500 imo. The Daytona 500 is still King, but really...they don't need 2 weeks to go plate racing imo. Something BIG and different like this would build much more interest by everyone alike going into the 500 imo. This would be a really cool added element to the start of the season.

Option 2: For those that don't want Daytona Speedweeks touched. They could request to add a class to Rolex 24 in only the Cup cars (8 to 10 cars max) and run with all of IMSA. Field size concerns probably got mentioned at that point, but who cares, people want to see it imo. I don't think 8 or 10 extra Cup cars out there will destroy the racing with a 57 car field vs 47. Rig the cars with lights needed for the night, and windshield wiper :eek:. This might be my favorite option. To see the variety of cars and top drivers on the same track. This would not be a points paying race, but a very cool competition for the Rolex watches and bragging rights.

Option 3: Dream scenario long shot. Go huge and take it INTERNATIONAL to France for the LeMans 24 hour Circuit De La Sarthe to combine with IMSA. Adjust the schedule as needed for Cup and take the top 10 cars in the points standings up until that point (added regular season reward). The 10 Cup driver's do a broadcast fantasy draft of 3 other driver's from any NASCAR series the week before. If more time is required to get the cars shipped over there and ready, then it's the top 10 in standings from last year, and they fantasy draft the driver's they want during Daytona Speedweeks. This would be a large stride to broaden the current reach of NASCAR and not the first time they've had International success.

The Rolex 24 really has a prime slot the weekend they occupy before the Superbowl, NASCAR could have the same for their own endurance race the weekend after Superbowl, or get in on the action with IMSA. I don't think it's an impossibility if they decided to pursue it. And, I hope they do! They seem willing to experiment at this point, so why not experiment with something like this?

NASCAR would need headlights (real ones) and likely more advanced rain tires for this.

Im a fan.

:D

They would be considerably slower for those who put speed above all else, they don't exactly have the suspension, non independent from the 70's pick up truck or the brakes, or the weight 3200lbs to make much of an endurance race car. That being said, lets do it Nascar.

I want to see a team race at the Daytona road course . Hendrick vs Stewart Hass vs Penske vs Ganassi, etc. But, they don't do driver changes, they do a car/driver/crew change. So, Logano pits in the 22 car after 300 miles and Blaney takes off in the 12 car for another 300 miles, with his own crew pitting him. First team to 1,000 miles wins!

IMO I would scrap the exhibition Clash (that's a really prime spot weekend after the Superbowl imo to be wasting it on a pretentious 20 car plate race that nobody cares about imo)
I can get behind this much, at least.
They could request to add a class to Rolex 24 in only the Cup cars (8 to 10 cars max) and run with all of IMSA.
I don't think anyone in IMSA wants Cup cars out their throwing their weight around, literally.
Go huge and take it INTERNATIONAL to France for the LeMans 24 hour Circuit De La Sarthe
Same problem.

I want to see a team race at the Daytona road course . Hendrick vs Stewart Hass vs Penske vs Ganassi, etc. But, they don't do driver changes, they do a car/driver/crew change. So, Logano pits in the 22 car after 300 miles and Blaney takes off in the 12 car for another 300 miles, with his own crew pitting him. First team to 1,000 miles wins!
I thought of suggesting that, and I like the idea overall, but that's a relay race, not a test of auto endurance.

Personally I would love it..

..but considering the amount of "fans" who already complain the races are too long I'm thinking it wouldn't go over well. They have issues turning in for a 500 mile race and you want them to pay attention for a whole day? Ha!

Back
Top Bottom