3:00 start at Martinsville!

One of NASCAR's greatest tracks installs light. Moves the race to finish at night. And people bitch? Seriously? Really? Un-freakin'-real. Please just stop.

Night races are just fine, IF the are on Saturday. It's just plain stupid to be finishing in the dark on a Sunday. That and understanding that fewer people will watch TV, and the racing might not be what you expect it to be.

If most of the fans in the stands are nearly dead, what difference does it make?

Night racing is exciting from both sides of the catch fencing.

Races typically run about 3 hours 15 minutes to 3 hours 45 minutes @ Martinsville. That gives all the old folk 15-45 minutes to get ready for 60 minutes to come on. I think they'll survive.
That still is no help to a paying customer {like me} who has to work or has kids in school{not me} that would like to get home at a reasonable hour.There has been much talk about attendance IMO this is not a help. I may be old but could care less about 60 minutes Not near dead either
]

]

Always take Monday off work. Even if the race starts at noon on a Sunday.

I always plan ahead for every race that I go to and take the day after the race off in case of a rain delay or rained out race.

^^^This^^^

When we went to the 600 all those years in Charlotte, I planed (2) extra days for rain.

As a fan of Martinsville I've seen multitudes of races there I can tell you the track races best under the warmest conditions anyone who went to the valley star 300 probably noticed the racing was far-and-away better during the heats than the main event held under the lights. That concrete doesn't really rubber in unless the sun's beating down.

Night races are just fine, IF the are on Saturday. It's just plain stupid to be finishing in the dark on a Sunday. That and understanding that fewer people will watch TV, and the racing might not be what you expect it to be.
Up against 4pm NFL too, I dunno if i were a ticket holder for this race I'd want an 1pm start, I don't want to be getting out of the parking lot in the dark. have a Saturday night race, Sunday isn't too bright in my opinion.

yeah not a good idea to isolate the fraid of the dark fan.
LMAO.

Tough to please everyone with these start times.

While I can understand people's points on the whole drive home get up for work thing, I just don't relate to it. I don't live close enough to any of these tracks to make it a day trip to watch a race. These are all mini vacations for my wife and I when we attend. We've been going to Martinsville for a long, long time. It's a 8-9 hour trip for us towing my 5er. As long as we've been going there, we always pad a day or two on the back end of that race weekend, just like every single race that we go to. The day after the race is always our travel day or the race make up day in case of Sunday rain. Not everyone can do that. That sucks for them.

I didn’t do that when I went to Daytona for the July race in 2015. Lesson learned.

Thank goodness they were able to run the race that night! My flight home was Monday around noon (basically a few hours after the race ended).

Had a summer class, and I couldn't afford to miss more than one day of class.

LMAO.

While I can understand people's points on the whole drive home get up for work thing, I just don't relate to it. I don't live close enough to any of these tracks to make it a day trip to watch a race. These are all mini vacations for my wife and I when we attend. We've been going to Martinsville for a long, long time. It's a 8-9 hour trip for us towing my 5er. As long as we've been going there, we always pad a day or two on the back end of that race weekend, just like every single race that we go to. The day after the race is always our travel day or the race make up day in case of Sunday rain. Not everyone can do that. That sucks for them.

With the current broadcast deal I don't think Nascar and the tracks are really concerned about attendance and if they are there are other more pressing needs to be addressed.

LMAO.

Ok, so how about this? Some of us attend the races with family. While I like to spend time at the track with them I also enjoy our time away from the track. I always enjoyed going back to the motel after the race, getting cleaned up and all of us going out to supper. Now, with late afternoon races we would be lucky to all go out to breakfast before the race. The tracks might think they are clever making the average fan spend the entire day at the track, but they are also losing fans like my family.

Ok, so how about this? Some of us attend the races with family. While I like to spend time at the track with them I also enjoy our time away from the track. I always enjoyed going back to the motel after the race, getting cleaned up and all of us going out to supper. Now, with late afternoon races we would be lucky to all go out to breakfast before the race. The tracks might think they are clever making the average fan spend the entire day at the track, but they are also losing fans like my family.
Took my family to races for years. A Sunday afternoon race wouldn't have changed my plans in the least. If it doesn't work for you, don't go. Not sure what else to tell you.

Judging by the grandstands, it DOESN'T work for a lot of people., and it matters. As far as TV on Sunday, my philosophy has always been that the longer you give people time to watch something else or go do something else, the less likely they will be to find the race. I've had people tell me they come home from church and with a three or four hour block of time to kill, they go do something else and either forget about the race or just say the hell with it. The late starts are the reason I very seldom watch any any Sunday races live anymore. I used to watch the race and THEN go do what I wanted or needed to do. Now I do it the other way around., which works for me, but I'm not sure how all that DVR watching effects the TV ratings.

I'm not sure how all that DVR watching effects the TV ratings.

It doesn't.

Streaming does more than anything, and the only network that streaming really has a huge impact on is The CW, because they're the only network that's completely and totally free (plus they're not available on broadcast and cable in many markets).

Not everyone has the liberty to take extra days even if it is the smart thing to do
Yah know, I can recall when I worked fast food and I didn't have any problems getting three or four days off if I asked several weeks in advance. I'm not trying to be insensitive or elitist, but outside of first responders and others who are subject to emergency cancellations, who can't schedule an extra day off?

Judging by the grandstands, it DOESN'T work for a lot of people., and it matters. As far as TV on Sunday, my philosophy has always been that the longer you give people time to watch something else or go do something else, the less likely they will be to find the race. I've had people tell me they come home from church and with a three or four hour block of time to kill, they go do something else and either forget about the race or just say the hell with it. The late starts are the reason I very seldom watch any any Sunday races live anymore. I used to watch the race and THEN go do what I wanted or needed to do. Now I do it the other way around., which works for me, but I'm not sure how all that DVR watching effects the TV ratings.
I fell under this until the magic of DVR was discovered. Haven’t even watched Kansas yet but I’ll get through that puppy when I get home from work today ( I watched last 20 laps live. I can only handle so much of Rick Allen live). I do miss the 12 pm central time zone starts, nice to fire up the grill for lunch while watching the race. I wish and do think they will go back to the traditional start times, this didn’t work in the late 2000’s when they tried this and I don’t think it’s working now due to lack of attendance.

I also think the last start time for this race is a half @ss way to do a Martinsville night race, if you’re going to do it go all in and make it a short track Saturday night. I am excited for this race, I love this track day or night, wished they raced there 3 times a year.

I also think the last start time for this race is a half @ss way to do a Martinsville night race, if you’re going to do it go all in and make it a short track Saturday night. I am excited for this race, I love this track day or night, wished they raced there 3 times a year.
Start the petition, I'll sign it!

I fell under this until the magic of DVR was discovered. Haven’t even watched Kansas yet but I’ll get through that puppy when I get home from work today ( I watched last 20 laps live. I can only handle so much of Rick Allen live). I do miss the 12 pm central time zone starts, nice to fire up the grill for lunch while watching the race. I wish and do think they will go back to the traditional start times, this didn’t work in the late 2000’s when they tried this and I don’t think it’s working now due to lack of attendance.

I am not sure why more people don't avail themselves of the DVR and not just for Nascar as it works well with all types of programming.

I am not sure why more people don't avail themselves of the DVR and not just for Nascar as it works well with all types of programming.
Well I prefer NFL, NBA and mlb live. For me racing just works better with the DVR but you’re right it does work great with all types of programming

Back
Top Bottom