AAF

So far, I can't really see a difference in this game and just about any other NFL game that I don't have a vested interest in. I'll tune back in tomorrow to watch.

Hopefully this version of football gives some of these players a chance to showcase their talent and they get their shot at the NFL.

I guess I didn't realize until just now that the were two games being played tonight. Just turned the 2nd game on too. 16-6 Orlando over Atlanta with 43 seconds left in the 1st half. The other tied at 6.

Silly me. For awhile I thought we were all watching the same game.

Only 8 teams in the league? I guess that Orlando is my team.

Only 8 teams in the league? I guess that Orlando is my team.
While the Memphis team is in Tennessee, Birmingham is actually a little closer to me. They play each other today, maybe that’ll help me decide who to root for.

I have no idea who I am suppose to root for. Memphis is about 40 minutes closer than San Antonia, but a Tennessee team has never been our home team.

So, I've enjoyed it so far even if my team is like, the worst team in the league. YEAH ATLANTA DOING WHAT TEAMS FROM HERE DO AND SUCKING! But hey they are my team! I'm not gonna jump ship on them.

Yeah, it kinda sucks. It seems to be the same ol' story with these expansion leagues. I only had the opportunity to watch the first weeks worth of games. I was entertained. That being said, I wouldn't plan my weekend around their games not having a dog in the fight. If I were from one of the markets associated with a team, it may be a different story. I hope that at the very least that the NFL takes some of their ideas and institute them into their Sunday's.

Yeah, it kinda sucks. It seems to be the same ol' story with these expansion leagues. I only had the opportunity to watch the first weeks worth of games. I was entertained. That being said, I wouldn't plan my weekend around their games not having a dog in the fight. If I were from one of the markets associated with a team, it may be a different story. I hope that at the very least that the NFL takes some of their ideas and institute them into their Sunday's.

What i've seen I've liked, but i'll admit i havent watched much. What they haven't done a good job is explaining the affiliates, and if they had done a good job of that, you might have a dog in the fight.

From my understanding each team has an affiliation with an NFL team, like the Atlanta team has an affiliation with the Falcons, Panthers, and two other NFL teams. They also have the rights to certain colleges. The team in Birmingham will get the rights to players from Alabama, Auburn, and other schools.

IMO its a miss that this isn't a big advertising piece of this.

I am having a real tough time building up the excitement level to watch this each week. I wish them luck but I think the AAF is not long to this world.

I am having a real tough time building up the excitement level to watch this each week. I wish them luck but I think the AAF is not long to this world.
I watched the first game and immediately forgot about it.

Attendance has been flat since Week 1. Ratings have overall haven't experienced a dip. I'm not sure how the league finances are doing right now after Dundon's investment.

Attendance has been flat since Week 1. Ratings have overall haven't experienced a dip. I'm not sure how the league finances are doing right now after Dundon's investment.
I was really kind of pumped for the beginning of this league. It must have been the high from just coming away from the NFL season. My high was short lived. Not really having a dog in the fight with this league makes it much less inviting to watch.

I was really kind of pumped for the beginning of this league. It must have been the high from just coming away from the NFL season. My high was short lived. Not really having a dog in the fight with this league makes it much less inviting to watch.

Yeah, I can see where the lack of teams in big markets where many fans are from can be an issue. Attendance has been an issue for the Arizona Hotshots, Atlanta Legends, and Salt Lake Stallions (pretty bad weather).

I'm interested to see how the XFL does, the pay is supposed to be better for all players, QB pay especially will be quite a bit more, and they're playing in big markets / mostly NFL markets.

I do think the AAF could really benefit if they started the league in the first week of March & gave a month off for fans to miss football again.

I'm sure the action is exciting, but I haven't tuned into many of the games. Usually NASCAR and Hockey have priority for me and usually one or the other is on at the same time as the AAF. Like many others, I think it's the small amount of teams and not really having anyone to cheer for. I did just watch the last few minutes or Arizona vs Orlando. The attendance didnt look terrible for a minor league sporting event. I'd assume if the league is successful, we could see a few more teams for next year.

Johnny Football signs with the Express. Can't be any worse than putting Hackenberg out there.

I'm sure the action is exciting, but I haven't tuned into many of the games. Usually NASCAR and Hockey have priority for me and usually one or the other is on at the same time as the AAF. Like many others, I think it's the small amount of teams and not really having anyone to cheer for. I did just watch the last few minutes or Arizona vs Orlando. The attendance didnt look terrible for a minor league sporting event. I'd assume if the league is successful, we could see a few more teams for next year.

Orlando, San Antonio, Birmingham, San Diego have had 15,000+ for most/all of their games. Memphis has been mediocre attendance at 10-13,000. Salt Lake, Arizona, Atlanta have been pretty meh at 8,000-11,000.

Sounds like it's Dundon trying to play hard ball negotiation with his investment. Ebersol was just talking about the possibilities of Detroit expansion hours prior... lol. Bill Polian is part of the AAF and said he was very surprised and a bit shocked at the comments.

San Antonio reporter:

D2sOgvjWkAMqn10.jpg

No spring league ball will succeed without being an umbrella league of the NFL.

This should be a big warning to the XFL

What benefit does Tom Dundon get by not finishing out the season and looking at a potential buyer or some other plan, etc?

No spring league ball will succeed without being an umbrella league of the NFL.

This should be a big warning to the XFL

Ebersol didn't necessarily say finances, ratings, etc was the reason for this folding. They expected to lose some money in the beginning.

I have zero interest in watching another football league, spring football, etc. but was following a bit from a sports media perspective. It's disappointing that the financial side wasn't in order, because they demonstrated demand with decent sustained viewership. A league with that level of interest and advantages like low player salaries should be workable.

Back
Top Bottom