All-Star Race at North Wilkesboro Pre-Race Thread

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
1684159240518.png

I never thought I'd see a Pre-Race thread for a CUP RACE AT NORTH WILKESBORO!!! Holy moly. Also heres a big FU, Suck it and dunk on your face to those who said:
-Time to Move On
-You're Living in the Past
-This again....
-This fanbase cant accept change
-I hope the place rots away.
Suck it, Suck It, Suck it. Saying that I am very excited and humbled to attend the weekend at this track. Last few days of work are going to drag on.

I never seen a race here(well that I can remember , I watched but I mean I was a kid lol) as it actually happened, only those I’ve watched online. I really enjoyed them so I am ready to see this one.

Good to see this track getting fixed up and used again. Maybe this time the resurrection will stick?
Concerned because this isn't the first time North Wilkesboro was being brought back from the dead.
Concerned because there isn't any mention of what other events will be hosted at the track, if any.
One big weekend is not going to keep the track in business.

When the current ownership first reopened the track, they scheduled some late model races and then planned to change it over to dirt, with more planned races.
However, suddenly there was a deal for one NASCAR Allstar race, and all of the previous plans were scrapped.
I cannot find any information about life at this track beyond next weekend.
I hope the owners aren't going to just let it sit again, maybe hoping for another Allstar race in the future...

Good to see this track getting fixed up and used again. Maybe this time the resurrection will stick?
Concerned because this isn't the first time North Wilkesboro was being brought back from the dead.
Concerned because there isn't any mention of what other events will be hosted at the track, if any.
One big weekend is not going to keep the track in business.

When the current ownership first reopened the track, they scheduled some late model races and then planned to change it over to dirt, with more planned races.
However, suddenly there was a deal for one NASCAR Allstar race, and all of the previous plans were scrapped.
I cannot find any information about life at this track beyond next weekend.
I hope the owners aren't going to just let it sit again, maybe hoping for another Allstar race in the future...

Reactions: Pat
If you have pertinent information regarding this, please share.
This was paid for with COVID-relief funds. In other words, taxpayer dollars. If it has been up to SMI, or if the NC legislature hadn't been handed a huge chunk of loosely-restricted money, the place would still be moldering.

Would someone clarify the track surface situation for me? Is it the 30+ year old surface, dirt that may be paved later, or was it repaved as part of the upgrades?

Thanks.

This was paid for with COVID-relief funds. In other words, taxpayer dollars. If it has been up to SMI, or if the NC legislature hadn't been handed a huge chunk of loosely-restricted money, the place would still be moldering.
Got lucky that the gov is a racing fan also.
In addition to North Wilkesboro ($18 million), Charlotte Motor Speedway ($13 million) and Rockingham Speedway ($9 million), the other tracks across the state benefitting from the grants are Tri County Speedway ($485,000), Hickory Motor Speedway ($568,254), Bowman Gray Stadium ($530,020), Farmington Dragway ($507,654), GALOT Motorsports Park ($583,586), Coastal Plains Dragway ($485,000), Orange County Speedway ($39,738), Dixieland Speedway ($85,600), Caraway Speedway ($485,000), Rockingham Dragway ($485,000), Wake County Speedway ($537,511), Outer Banks Speedway ($272,920), Southern National Motorsports Park ($557,770) and County Line Raceway ($196,232).

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/article261494472.html#storylink=cpy

Didn't Juniors use a weed eater to cut out the grass that was growing through the surface.
Yeah, he was one of them with a weed eater, Marcus and others were doing it also. I think others have done some patching and sealing, but it's the old surface. It should be a crazy fun watch, really looking forward to it.

What does one have to do with the other? Taking a non-points race from LA won't result in any other track getting a points race.
Do you know that to be factual, because I don't. Damn sure more interest in N.W. than the gimmick in LA, which wasn't sold out. NW is sold out...

A points paying race at the renovated track would require the loss of a points paying race date from somewhere other than the LA Coliseum, would it not?
Sounds like that is what he is pretty much proposing this early in the week lol. Lets get off track early.

Dump the Los Angeles gimmick and put N.W. back in circulation as a points race I say...

Any business person that would dump an event in the heart of the 2nd biggest city in the country that draws thousands of fans and media attention should be fired on the spot for gross incompetence. The LA Coliseum doesn’t sell out but it outperforms a lot of other races on the circuit.

I love how NASCAR “fans” call whatever they don’t like a “gimmick.” I guess this was also a gimmick: https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nas...er-field-chicago-once-hosted-nascar-cup-race/

Not everything you don’t like is a “gimmick.”

Any business person that would dump an event in the heart of the 2nd biggest city in the country that draws thousands of fans and media attention should be fired on the spot for gross incompetence. The LA Coliseum doesn’t sell out but it outperforms a lot of other races on the circuit.

I love how NASCAR “fans” call whatever they don’t like a “gimmick.” I guess this was also a gimmick: https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nas...er-field-chicago-once-hosted-nascar-cup-race/

Not everything you don’t like is a “gimmick.”
I enjoyed it. I don't think it was a good as the first one, but that's racing, you never know when a good race will break out no matter which track it happens at.

I enjoyed it. I don't think it was a good as the first one, but that's racing, you never know when a good race will break out no matter which track it happens at.

There were too many cars on the track. You shouldn’t try to squeeze that many cars on a quarter mile. You only have so much room.

Got lucky that the gov is a racing fan also.
In addition to North Wilkesboro ($18 million), Charlotte Motor Speedway ($13 million) and Rockingham Speedway ($9 million), the other tracks across the state benefitting from the grants are Tri County Speedway ($485,000), Hickory Motor Speedway ($568,254), Bowman Gray Stadium ($530,020), Farmington Dragway ($507,654), GALOT Motorsports Park ($583,586), Coastal Plains Dragway ($485,000), Orange County Speedway ($39,738), Dixieland Speedway ($85,600), Caraway Speedway ($485,000), Rockingham Dragway ($485,000), Wake County Speedway ($537,511), Outer Banks Speedway ($272,920), Southern National Motorsports Park ($557,770) and County Line Raceway ($196,232).

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/article261494472.html#storylink=cpy

Well, at least some of the Covid BS money went for a good cause.

Do you know that to be factual, because I don't. Damn sure more interest in N.W. than the gimmick in LA, which wasn't sold out. NW is sold out...
NW seats less than 25,000, and that includes the temporary seats. LA seats over three times that. The place could be half full and still have more butts in teh seats than a NW sell-out.

The season-opening race is an exhibition race. Move it wherever you want, it's going to remain an exhibition race. NASCAR isn't going to add more points races or convert an exhibition to a points race. The season is too long for the competitors already. As @aunty dive pointed out, if NW is going to get a points race, it's going to be because a points race was moved from another track. LA doesn't have a points race, so it has no role in getting one for NW.

NASCAR isn't going to take a points race away from one of the tracks it owns. NW is an SMI track. If the Smiths want NW to have a points race, it's their call which one of their tracks will lose one, not NASCAR's.

Maybe I should have said non points, just my opinion,try not to get off track too early, and sold out.
That would have covered it...

I believe they have a parking problem also at NWB.
which I'll be encountering in less than one week. Wish me Luck. I agree with the folks saying its a terrible business idea to remove the LA Coliseum for a points race at Wilkesboro. For starters, the math doesnt add up as its a exhibition race for a points race, you need points race for points race. Second, NASCAR NEEDS to be racing in LA, its the second biggest market. You need the TV money and potential sponsorship that comes with it. I found the race a bit gimmicky myself with that many cars on that short of a track but hell they raced at Solider Field before so there's precedence and its a harmless exhibition race, I've actually found it to be a fun way to start the season. If you're talking moving another SMI race to Wilkesboro, well then you might have a discussion there.

which I'll be encountering in less than one week. Wish me Luck. I agree with the folks saying its a terrible business idea to remove the LA Coliseum for a points race at Wilkesboro. For starters, the math doesnt add up as its a exhibition race for a points race, you need points race for points race. Second, NASCAR NEEDS to be racing in LA, its the second biggest market. You need the TV money and potential sponsorship that comes with it. I found the race a bit gimmicky myself with that many cars on that short of a track but hell they raced at Solider Field before so there's precedence and its a harmless exhibition race, I've actually found it to be a fun way to start the season. If you're talking moving another SMI race to Wilkesboro, well then you might have a discussion there.
Yeah you were talking about parking. It could cost as much or more than the ticket it sounds like.

Yeah you were talking about parking. It could cost as much or more than the ticket it sounds like.
yes that is right, I bought the parking pass. I have serious anxiety about the traffic for next Sunday but oh well. I survived going to Kentucky Speedway, I Can survive this.

Back
Top Bottom