All Star Race Format Announced

Almost as confusing as the Playoffs point system with stage racing.

If the Playoffs get George Lopez to explain it to the "common fan" using bocce balls what are they going to do now? We need a celebrity of minority descent and another non-mainstream sport. Will Smith and curling?

The winner of each round gets to buy a vowel, guess the puzzle, or spin the wheel. During the mandatory pit stop, while the team works on the car, each driver will perform a 'Chinese Fire Drill'. In the fifth round, a fan vote will determine which driver is replaced by Jennifer Jo Cobb.

Last edited:
I've been to short track events where I have to print out a page of paper explaining the format....but that said this is up there with most confusing and most moving pieces I've seen lol.

200.gif

I was debating going to this cuz I live 15 minutes away, but I think I’ll just wait till the fall lol

Fans: more horsepower please

NASCAR: less horsepower!

The rules configuration for the All-Star Race will use the high-downforce aerodynamics package at the 1.5-mile track, but engines will use a tapered spacer reduced from 59/64th of an inch to 57/64th. That setup is currently used on superspeedways, where horsepower targets are in the 500-510 range.

Higher downforce with less horsepower at TEXAS. This race is gonna suck total balls lmao.

Fans: more horsepower please

NASCAR: less horsepower!

The rules configuration for the All-Star Race will use the high-downforce aerodynamics package at the 1.5-mile track, but engines will use a tapered spacer reduced from 59/64th of an inch to 57/64th. That setup is currently used on superspeedways, where horsepower targets are in the 500-510 range.

Higher downforce with less horsepower at TEXAS. This race is gonna suck total balls lmao.
Wow. I think I'll watch the Indy tire fiasco race again instead of this likely dumpster fire. At least with Indy the cars had horsepower

With 20 cars on track it makes negative sense why they don't do this at a famous short track/bullring. SoBo, Stafford, Bowman Grey, Oxford....wherever....put these guys on a local track for 150 laps and the ratings would be off the charts. Also I bet the bean counters would make more $$$ at a small track. I'm not gonna bother checking ticket prices but texas has to be pretty much giving these tickets away and they'll barely get a drop in the bucket in attendance relative to their capacity. But at a short track with 10,000 seats they could sell each seat for $100 it'd sell out the first day tickets were on sale.

Wondering if this signals what they're targeting for HP with the new car...I sure hope not.

Lawd have mercy, the whiners are out in force bagging on something they havent seen yet. For those that are bad with math or reading comprehension, the announcers will walk you through it.

Lawd have mercy, the whiners are out in force bagging on something they havent seen yet. For those that are bad with math or reading comprehension, the announcers will walk you through it.
They're stopping a 100 lap event 5 freakin times and playing Russian roulette with the lineup to try and make it more interesting when every single person who has watched a race in the last year knows that isn't going to make a damn bit of difference. That sounds fun to you?

The conference call between Fox and NASCAR probably went something like this:
"What's the All-Star format this year?"
"I dunno, how many commercial breaks are you obliged to show?"
"For a hundred laps? At least 5."
"Fine, we'll have at least 5 segments."

They better not miss one lap of racing with all those breaks for commercial.

I’ve always thought we’re going the wrong way with these All Star races. Remove the tapered spacer and let these guys cook at full speed in a 100 lap shootout

They're stopping a 100 lap event 5 freakin times and playing Russian roulette with the lineup to try and make it more interesting when every single person who has watched a race in the last year knows that isn't going to make a damn bit of difference. That sounds fun to you?
Why hell yes. Its supposed to be fun and keeping the field together makes it fun and exciting. Dropping the green and running 100 laps and the leader getting a 3 second gap may be genuine but its NO FUN unless its your driver. You guys should lighten up.

The All-Star race needs to be dumped. There is no use in it any more. The excitement is gone from it.
It does tend to be rather lackluster more often than not anymore. I'd like to see it continue but I'm not sure this is the answer. It will give the booth plenty to babble about as they are constantly explaining to the viewer what's going on. I'll watch it but with low expectations.

I do prefer the old format of Winston Open: winner of that race gets into the big show along with fan vote winner. Then the Winston itself was 3 segments with money going to winner of the first 2 segments and then invert the final segment for all of the money. I miss the simplicity of it all. But besides the format of this year which I find humorously confounding is the lipstick on a pig of having the race at Texas to being with, I think thats the bigger issue.

The All-Star race needs to be dumped. There is no use in it any more. The excitement is gone from it.
The novelty certainly has worn off, this format seems a little too much.

I like the idea of inverting the field to mix things up. Also, I would like to see a random selection of track to hold the AS event.

They basically said F it, make it a plate race.

Back
Top Bottom