Dismiss Notice
I fixed a problem with the emails. Apologies if you've missed notifications or confirmation emails and/or got duplicates or resends all of a sudden. I've also turned on automatic bounce handling.

AMS announces repave

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by dpkimmel2001, Jan 3, 2017.

1. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

2. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Last repaved in 1997.

3. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

ATLANTA MOTOR SPEEDWAY TO REPAVE IN 2017
    SiriusXM NASCAR Radio·Tuesday, January 3, 2017

HAMPTON, Ga. (Jan. 3, 2017) – Twenty years after it was last resurfaced, Atlanta Motor Speedway’s historic racing surface is scheduled to be repaved this spring, following the March 3-5 NASCAR Weekend triple-header. Work is scheduled to begin in late March with an expected completion in mid-April.

The current asphalt at AMS is the second-oldest racing surface on the entire NASCAR Cup Series circuit, and officials credit its longevity to a combination of the mild Georgia winters and a meticulous maintenance program over its entire two-decade lifetime.

Since its last repave in 1997, the track has hosted 31 premier NASCAR series races, 19 NASCAR XFINITY Series races, 15 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races, eight ARCA Racing Series races, four IndyCar Series races and countless U.S. Legends and Bandolero car races on its quarter-mile “Thunder Ring.”

Despite the wear and tear of aging in recent years, the track has been a favorite of many competitors who have raved about the challenging nature of the track. Its aged surface, slick driving conditions and multiple racing grooves have produced not only exciting races and close finishes for fans in attendance, but a technical challenge for drivers who have battled slick corners, fast straightaways and ample opportunity for passing.

4. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

Just fuq my sh!t up fam

5. NasNYG567

NasNYG567 Crew Chief

Not a popular decision but it has to be done

Zerkfitting likes this.
  6. ChexOrWrex

RIP

DUN24 and FLRacingFan like this.
  7. AndyMarquisLive

AndyMarquisLive Short Track Fanatic

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SlicedBread22 and 29-4 like this.
  8. Michfan

Michfan Team Owner

So stupid

9. AdoubleU24

AdoubleU24 Team Owner

This hurts my heart. One of my favorite tracks to attend.

cheesepuffs and FLRacingFan like this.
  10. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

Meh, just have to deal with it.

Charlie Spencer and Johali like this.
  11. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

12. NasNYG567

NasNYG567 Crew Chief

Hey at least they're investing in the track, meaning it probably won't go away come 2020.

Pat and Charlie Spencer like this.
  13. Simple Fan

Simple Fan First or Last

It's just a repave. The track will still be there. 20 years so it's needed.

14. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Terrible news. I suppose it had to happen at some point but it sucks nonetheless. That place eats tires like no other. It won't be the same for quite some time.

Skoalbandit33 likes this.
  15. AndyMarquisLive

I hope they have a really brutal winter in between this repave and their 2018 race. Couple of snow storms, maybe an ice storm. Anything to accelerate the aging process of the pavement there.

16. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Short tracks and road courses rule.

Yep. Beats heck our of moving their only date to Vegas.

sdj likes this.
  17. hidesert cowboy

hidesert cowboy Team Owner

Horrible. I wish they would just patch the track does it really have to be done? I never thought Michigan needed it and the racing there still hasn't gotten to where it was

18. Charlie Spencer

I'm pretty sure SMI isn't spending however many millions this will cost just because they can't think of anything better to do with the money.

sdj and Pat like this.
  19. Taco

Taco Crew Chief

Guess they're not losing the race.

20. DanicaFreak

DanicaFreak Green monster

RIP bumps....

21. MRM

MRM Team Owner

Had to happen sometime.

22. DUN24

DUN24 Skeptical of the Spectacle.

Bummer. Inevitable though.... I wish there were a way to make the new paves racier without progressive banking and whatnot.

23. hidesert cowboy

hidesert cowboy Team Owner

actually the reason I think they are doing this is because remember years ago during the daytona race when part of the track came up and they actually had to use bondo to fix it? I think nascar is too afraid of that happening again. there was also an incident where jeff gordan hit a chunk of a racetrack. I think they are worried about negative press in regards to something of that nature happening. I for one think its well worth risking it if we get way better racing. I also would support making patch repairs to the race tracks where needed. that way it gives the track character and something changing the drivers would have to deal with. They are redoing kentucky too, the nice thing there was there was so many bumps to the track that the teams where unable to set the cars up glued to the race track because it was just so bumpy, that made the racing alot better.

24. Charlie Spencer

Uh, you're aware they finished the Kentucky repave and raced on it last season, right? I recall it was well received.

LewTheShoe likes this.
  25. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

26. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

27. ChexOrWrex

This attitude is the sport's problem.

The track will be there, the racing will not be.

Does anyone remember the last time CMS had an interesting race? Because AMS will be the new CMS.

AdoubleU24 likes this.
  28. AndyMarquisLive

Wait for the "Atlanta Motor Speedway to be reconfigured" press release. Complete with progressive banking (quickly becoming my least favorite thing in racing).

29. ChexOrWrex

How about unreconfigured to the orig speedway

Skoalbandit33 and DUN24 like this.
  30. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

Reading is fundamental.

from the original story.....

The repaving project calls for a brand-new asphalt surface to be lain over top of the current surface. AMS’s quad-oval layout and 24-degree banking in the turns will remain unchanged.

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  31. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

How so?

Track needs to be taken care of and honestly it's a sign that SWI actually cares about the facility. I dislike repaves as well, but it's something and especially after 20 years needing to be done. Its just something we have to deal with.

It would be bad if they continue to let the track just sit without change.

32. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

Track operators continue to make large capital investments in plant and equipment.

We complain because we know what's best for the sport.

LewTheShoe and Charlie Spencer like this.
  33. Taco

Taco Crew Chief

Thats what Ed said today on XM 90.

34. ChexOrWrex

Introduction of the chase.
    "Well its here now we have to deal with it".

Major changes every other season
    "Thats just the way it is"

Cars have turned into an aerodynamic dream & the racing has been beyond dull
    "This is what nascar is so we just deal with it"

Just dealing with the sport in decline as the status quo will kill NASCAR.

29-4 likes this.
  35. Charlie Spencer

Have you found bitching about it to be an effective tool for change?

Seriously, what do you expect track owners to do, leave the surfaces alone until they're coming up in chunks like a South Carolina interstate?

Simple Fan and Speedbowl14 like this.
  36. ChexOrWrex

Will you be attending many Atlanta races after March?

37. 29-4

29-4 Team Owner

Pavement doesn't last forever. Though the people in charge of transportation in Wisconsin seem to think it does...

38. DIDIT

DIDIT Old School Fan

Well, here is my take... I have been going to Atlanta every year since the early 90's. I am going again this year. But given the repaving deal, I doubt I will go to the race in 2018. I go for the incredible speed and racing that is currently Atlanta. Granted the speed will still be there in 2018, I don't think the racing will be as intense. Hopefully in a few years mother nature will do her thing and once again I will be going back to my second most favorite track on the schedule.

So, while I don't like what they are doing, I understand what they are doing and I am making a personnel decision given the circumstances.

Skoalbandit33 likes this.
  39. dpkimmel2001

dpkimmel2001 Team Owner

It reads and sounds, from the interview's I heard on SiriusXM, that the paving is long overdue. It's not that they want to do it. They've simply put it off as long as they could. Common sense dictates that it's a necessity.

Put California on the need to be repaved soon list. I think it and Dover are now the oldest surfaces. While it would never happen, when Dover's time comes to resurface, I sure hope they move back to asphalt. I miss the asphalt/bias ply days of Dover. That and the 500 miles. A move back to asphalt even on today's tires would probably be a great thing.

40. Zerkfitting

Zerkfitting Team Owner

Maybe they should get the local Department of Transportation to do the job. They'd have a good chance of putting in some bumps and seams to keep the divers happy.