AMS announces repave

Honest question: Could they resurface with the exact asphalt mixture they used in 1997?
They could but I doubt they will. Mix technology has changed dramatically since then ... it's all about polymers now.

They could but I doubt they will. Mix technology has changed dramatically since then ... it's all about polymers now.
I wish they would/could stick to the older, less technologically advanced asphalt mixes when repaving racetracks. The newer mixes seem to age much differently. The new surfaces at Phoenix and Kansas seem like they could survive nuclear blasts. Which is great for highways, but I'm not sure if that's the best thing for race tracks.

The polymer-based mixes cure in about 50 hours.

How long would the older mixes take to cure?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just genuinely curious about the paving process, and the reasons behind why the change to polymer-based mixes.

this whole talk of paving puts me in mind of the stephen king story Dolans Caddliac....

Read that story @aunty dive ?

How long would the older mixes take to cure?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just genuinely curious about the paving process, and the reasons behind why the change to polymer-based mixes.

Usually 2 - 3 months before they could be used for racing. The forces at work are different on racetracks ... vertical loads are much less than those imposed on highways and airport runways. The racetrack problem is "shear" or the horizontal force that results from high corner speeds.

Why polymers?

http://www.dupont.com/products-and-...odified-asphalt-for-engineers-specifiers.html

It wasn't published in Racecar Engineering Magazine, so no. :D

Discovering that Dolan regularly takes the same route along State Route 71 when traveling to Los Angeles, while in his Cadillac, Robinson decides to trick Dolan into taking a fake detour, in which the Cadillac will crash into a ditch and he'll be buried alive. He takes on a summer job with a road paving crew so that he can learn to operate the heavy equipment needed to excavate an oblong ditch just long and deep enough to contain the car, but not so wide as to allow escape through its doors.

The trap works, and Dolan is stuck in his Cadillac as it crashes into the pit. One of Dolan's bodyguards is killed in the crash, while the other, crushed by the engine block, screams out in pain and panic, prompting Dolan to kill him. Robinson greets Dolan and announces his intent on burying him alive. Dolan addresses Robinson by name, prompting him to lean over the roof of the car as Dolan fires a few bullets skyward. He misses Robinson, who proceeds with the burial.

Drivers will be happy. Even though its my home track, still not my favorite.
Everything is great as long as the rain stays away.

After this year's dog of a race, I kinda wish they had just pulled the trigger and be done with it.

Yes, yes:
tumblr_inline_mxzndglede1rt5rx2.gif

I may be the only one who doesn't regard this as good news. I'd feel better about the long-term future of this track if SMI had spent some money on it.
Me, too.

I really thought they'd do it. I wonder how much it cost to cancel?

I prefer the old wore out surface but the racing wasn't anything special this year aside from the end.

I may be the only one who doesn't regard this as good news. I'd feel better about the long-term future of this track if SMI had spent some money on it.
I agree with you. The 2020 track contracts are coming up quick, this makes me wonder if Atlanta is safe

Back
Top Bottom