Any room for Fernando?

I hope he goes to Indycar. He would get his ass handed to him if he tried Nascar.

Pretty much, as NASCAR oval racing is almost surely more of a learning curve than he is willing to adapt to. The level of technical driving ability required in F1 is amazing. However, the bulk of the NASCAR schedule probably requires more specialized skills than it ever has, and it is an entirely different discipline. Nobody is ever going to catch up to the Kevin Harvicks and Kyle Buschs of the sport by starting at 38 years old.

It would be fun to see him try a couple, but the current structure of NASCAR isn't really set up for part-timers to dip their toes in. Except maybe the road courses.

The level of technical driving ability required in F1 is amazing. However, the bulk of the NASCAR schedule probably requires more specialized skills than it ever has, and it is an entirely different discipline.
I'm not going to say driving an F1 car is easy, because it isn't. However, it's relatively easier to drive a car purposely designed from the ground up to be as technologically advanced as a race car can possibly be, than to try to get similar performance out of one that's basically an over-the-edge cludge of consumer technologies and duct tape. It's also relatively easier physically to run races under 2 hours than ones lasting 3- or 3.5-plus.

But hey, bring the dude on. More power to him and anything else that will demonstrate that these aren't just cab drivers running in circles.

I'd prefer to see Jimmie in GTE-Pro were he to run Le Mans next year (Corvette Racing) because, quite frankly, the LMP1 field sucks and I can't really imagine him wanting to run a Pro-Am class.

I could certainly see Jimmie and Fernando teaming up at United Autosport for Daytona though.

Jimmie and Fernando being teammates for The Rolex 24 might be enough to get me to my 2nd Rolex in January.

Back
Top Bottom