Any Soccer fans in here?

Nice 4-0 to get the season started for Liverpool. Salah, Mane and Firmino picking up where they left off. Kieta looking the business in midfield.

Would love to see City get smashed today, by at the same time I want to see Arsenal get smashed for some lit ArsenalFanTV

Claude all fired up after 1 game. Lol. Can't wait for a good meltdown from DT.

For any Canadians in this thread I've just come across the fact that TSN no longer owns the broadcast rights to the Champions League or Europa League in Canada.
They are now owned by a new streaming service called DAZN.
$20 a month or $150 For the year.
They also have Serie A, La Liga, English Championship and The English League Cup.
I'm kinda annoyed it'll cost me more money now to follow my club in the Champions League.

Screenshot_20180830-141445.png
Champions League Group Stage Draw

Been a while since this thread has been used. Real Madrid-Ajax was probably the best two legs of football I have ever in a while. Ajax is not going to be a team you want to be drawn against

Been a while since this thread has been used. Real Madrid-Ajax was probably the best two legs of football I have ever in a while. Ajax is not going to be a team you want to be drawn against
Fantastic result for Ajax. They were excellent.

Shaping up to be a fun end to the season. Premier League title race is a good one and the Champions League is always good.

Ole’s At the ****ing wheel. That is all
Quite the turn around i have to admit.

When he got the sack at United a few months back lots of people were saying Mourinho would never get a high profile gig again. After the last 2 days he'll be in Mardid or Paris next season.

Quite the turn around i have to admit.

When he got the sack at United a few months back lots of people were saying Mourinho would never get a high profile gig again. After the last 2 days he'll be in Mardid or Paris next season.
Mourinho was always going to get another high profile gig. People have short-term memories at times. Our first two years under Jose were fine. 2 trophies plus the community shield and a 2nd place finish in a season that would have been a title contending season almost every other season. It all went to hell for Jose this year, I see him going back to Madrid IMHO, Paris won’t work cause of Neymar

Mourinho was always going to get another high profile gig. People have short-term memories at times. Our first two years under Jose were fine. 2 trophies plus the community shield and a 2nd place finish in a season that would have been a title contending season almost every other season. It all went to hell for Jose this year, I see him going back to Madrid IMHO, Paris won’t work cause of Neymar

For the record i always thought he would get a marquee gig again. he's not the type that's gonna go to a smaller club for a "project".
It'll be interesting to see where he goes. I think he'd like another shot at Real but I can see PSG making a really big push for him as they can win all the French League titles they want but because of the lack of competition they have at home they'll never be seen as a truly big club without winning the Champions League.

Ronaldo adds to his legacy with a hat trick to turn a 2-0 1st leg deficit into a 3-2 victory for Juventus .

I have a hard time being interested in the MLS without a relegation/promotion system. Wish they'd have that sort of system in place with the USL Championship.

I understand that the Premier League seems to be the most popular national league in the world, but how popular is soccer in the states in general?
And how popular are the other european leagues compared to the Premier League?
It has its following for sure, but still a relatively niche one. I'd actually say Premier League does better than MLS on TV here but the MLS teams generally have pretty good local fan bases and solid crowds. Premier League is a bigger deal here than all of Bundesliga, La Liga, and Serie A. La Liga has a pretty crappy TV deal here on a channel not many people have or know they have (beIN Sports). NBC does a lot to promote the Premier League, FOX doesn't do much to advertise Bundesliga.

It has its following for sure, but still a relatively niche one. I'd actually say Premier League does better than MLS on TV here but the MLS teams generally have pretty good local fan bases and solid crowds. Premier League is a bigger deal here than all of Bundesliga, La Liga, and Serie A. La Liga has a pretty crappy TV deal here on a channel not many people have or know they have (beIN Sports). NBC does a lot to promote the Premier League, FOX doesn't do much to advertise Bundesliga.
In Europe, we see MLS as a league for old guys who go there for the $$$ towards the end of their careers. (Rooney, Ibrahimovic, Schweinsteiger and Pirlo are some good examples.)
The Premier League has the advantage that they have six clubs that could win a championship, while Barca, Real and Atletico are miles ahead in Spain, Juventus have won their eighth consecutive championship in Italy and Bayern have on course for their seventh consecutive championship in Germany.

Bundesliga had it's most exciting season in years. At one point, Dortmund led by 9 points. They were trailing Bayern by one point coming into last week, then lost 2-4 against Schalke, including two red cards (one of them for superstar Marco Reus). Bayern failed to close it out last week, only scoring a 1-1 in Nuremberg.
This week, Bayern got a win against Hannover, while Dortmund only got a 2-2 in Bremen after being 2-0 up in the first half.
With two games to go, Munich now leads the Championship standings by 4 points ahead of Dortmund. It's basically over.

As far as TV is concerned, most of the international leagues are on DAZN, while Bundesliga is still on Sky Sports.
We don't get to see much on Free-TV. 2-3 Bundesliga games and about 10 Cup games every year year and 2 third-league games every weekend are on public television.
Women's soccer, MLS and Europa League are free-to-air on private television, but nobody cares about that.
Games of our national team are free-to-air, too.

USL >>> MLS. For some reason I've been enjoying Las Vegas Lights FC & Real Monarchs SLC and some of the other USL west coast games more so than MLS.

USL has some good support & games for a 2nd level league. I've said it before but I wish there would be a relegation / promotion system. But the MLS business model doesn't want that.

I understand that the Premier League seems to be the most popular national league in the world, but how popular is soccer in the states in general?
And how popular are the other european leagues compared to the Premier League?

Here in Canada the Premier League get shown on both major sports networks TSN and Sportnet. They've shared the coverage rights for the last 5+ years. Next year that changes hands and switches to the streaming service DAZN.

The FA Cup is shown on Sportsnet

Bundelsiga is on Sportsnet

Champions League, Europa League, Serie A, La Liga, French League, English League Cup and Lower Divisions are also on DAZN.

To answer the 2nd part of your question about popularity,

In Canada the game has made some big strides over the years. Young people seem to be following the game more than previous generations.The World Cup is always well watched and covered, as are the European Championships. The country's 3 MLS teams seem to be well supported and this season a new national league has just launched the Canadian Premier League with 7 teams.

The worry i have about for the future is the change of broadcast rights starting next year for the Premier League which is easily the most followed competition along with the Champions League.

For the last 20 years Premier League games have been broadcast on tv in Canada on major sporting networks consistently. Sportsnet has show EPL games since the year they went on air. The Champions League also was shown regularly on TV.

Starting next year the streaming service DAZN will basically have ALL of the elite European soccer besides the Budesliga and the FA Cup. This isnt a problem for me. I'm a die hard. I already have a DAZN subscription (you can pay $20 a month or $150 for a year) so i could follow the Champions League this year. It's a good service. its easy to use. the streams are very high quality.

BUT

They're NOT gonna have a hard time selling to someone like me. It's the casual fan that they're NOT going to get. The person that stumbled across a few games on saturday mornings and started getting interested. Thats not going to happen now. I really fear it might stall the growth of the game in Canada.

I'm a die hard Liverpool fan. That was amazing.
This Team. Warriors.
D5_sQUkXkAIea4R.jpg

When English clubs start winning penalty shootouts you know it's something serious...

Not only the Champions League, but also the second-tier Europa League will have an all-English final.
I hope Arsenal wins this one against Chelsea. Would be awesome to see Petr Cech end his career with an international title in his last ever match.
One of the greatest goalkeepers of all time.

As far as Champions league is concerned, I never would have thought Ajax would lose it against Tottenham.
I hope Liverpool wins the CL. Jürgen Klopp didn't win it with Dortmund, hopefully he can do it with Liverpool.

When English clubs start winning penalty shootouts you know it's something serious...

Not only the Champions League, but also the second-tier Europa League will have an all-English final.
I hope Arsenal wins this one against Chelsea. Would be awesome to see Petr Cech end his career with an international title in his last ever match.
One of the greatest goalkeepers of all time.

As far as Champions league is concerned, I never would have thought Ajax would lose it against Tottenham.
I hope Liverpool wins the CL. Jürgen Klopp didn't win it with Dortmund, hopefully he can do it with Liverpool.

Great advert for the Premier League having both European finals being all English affairs.

I want this bad for our group of players. Been excellent this year and worked so hard and after getting so close last season.
Hope Arsenal win the Europa League as i've got a good friend who's a Gooner.

Out of curiosity what club do you support?

30 wins. 7 draws. 1 loss.

2nd place.

How can i have any complaints though.

What a league campaign from the boys to push that man city squad with their limitless oil bucks all the way to the end.

Klopp has made us better every year since he arrived and we still have the big one on June 1st in Madrid.

Come On The Reds!

Let's go get #6

Well I get both things today, Man City wins and Cardiff City gets relegated, but at least went out beating Man U (I know they basically started a bunch of teens)

Bundesliga legend Manfred Burgsmüller has passed away on Saturday at age 69.
He currently ranks fourth in the all-time Bundesliga goalgetter ranking, having scored 213 goals in 447 matches for Nuremberg, Dortmund, Essen and Bremen between 1969 and 1990.
In 1988 he won his first and only championship with Werder Bremen at age 38

From 1996-2002, Burgsmüller played American Football as a Kicker for Rhein Fire in the now-defunct NFL Europe, winning the "World Bowl" in 1998 and 2000.
In 2002, he was the oldest active professional Football player in the world at age 52.

R.I.P. to a legend

upload_2019-5-20_21-56-49.png
upload_2019-5-20_21-56-57.png

Since Germany has national law for almost everything, we also have a national law that says a European Cup final must be shown on public television if there's any "German Involvement".
There was quite a discussion if Klopp counts as "German involvement", but apparently he doesn't count. Glad I still have DAZN.

8f35d1b7-1af0-42b6-a253-8720a15c0f5e.jpg

"We've conquered all of europe, we're never gonna stop....."

What a year. What a club. What a manager.

Back
Top Bottom