Anybody bought a scanner lately?

Charlie Spencer

Road courses and short tracks.
The battery in my 15 year old Bearcat won't charge any more. I'm trying to decide whether to replace the battery for the third time or get a new scanner. I only attend a couple of races a year these days. A newer unit might be worth it if I can get out for under $100. Obviously waiting until I get to the track is a sucker's game.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

If you only use it a couple times a year, I'd go on ebay and pick up a couple of batteries, OR get a used scanner. I have two scanners, one bought reconditioned at a truck stop in the late 90's and a another one I bought off ebay for 40 bucks with three pairs of headphones. I also use mine to listen to trains, and if and when they ever go to the latest technology, I'll have to buy a new model anyway, so I'm going to milk my two old ones as long as I can.

If you only use it a couple times a year, I'd go on ebay and pick up a couple of batteries, OR get a used scanner. I have two scanners, one bought reconditioned at a truck stop in the late 90's and a another one I bought off ebay for 40 bucks with three pairs of headphones. I also use mine to listen to trains, and if and when they ever go to the latest technology, I'll have to buy a new model anyway, so I'm going to milk my two old ones as long as I can.

What’s the latest technology that they can move to? I’ve wondered how long mine would be usable?

I am no expert on this stuff by any means, but some radio traffic like many fire and police channels have gone to narrow band technology where the channels are closer together and some old scanners cannot pick up the channels very well if at all. There has been talk about railroads going narrow band too. I would think NASCAR would be one of the LAST entities to want to change, but who knows what the future brings. As demand for more channels ever increases, something has to give. I just know that before I spent any SERIOUS money on a scanner, I would want to know it will do everything I want it to do and do it for the foreseeable future. I have less than $100 invested in both of mine, and as long as they get the job done (at the track, I use one to monitor the race broadcast, and the other to monitor drivers) I don't intend to spend any more money on them other than batteries. One takes AAs, the other uses the rechargeable type, of which I always carry a spare.

Hey, here's a stupid question. Are there cell phone apps that provide scanner functionality? Are there services that offer scanner feeds for a fee? Since I'm only attending a couple of races a year these days, and since I'm by myself now and don't need enough power to drive two headsets, maybe something like that would be an option.

Back
Top Bottom