Aric Almirola

Very similar to Hamlin's crash where he sustained a compression fracture. Rear of the car going up then slamming down.

Hoping we hear the best news possible in regards to Aric.
...as for Fox, I don't even have words to describe my disgust with the network on how they handled this entire incident.

Why Reed?
Just a gut feeling. Statistically, their careers aren't very different. Reed does have the two wins, although one was at Daytona. Reed's having a better year than Wallace. And who knows, maybe Petty can take advantage of that guaranteed sponsor.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Bubba too. I just feel like Reed is the better choice at this time. If Aric had been injured at some other point in the season, I might feel differently.

Just a gut feeling. Statistically, their careers aren't very different. Reed does have the two wins, although one was at Daytona. Reed's having a better year than Wallace. And who knows, maybe Petty can take advantage of that guaranteed sponsor.

Don't get me wrong, I loves me some Bubba too. I just feel like Reed is the better choice at this time. If Aric had been injured at some other point in the season, I might feel differently.
Both of his wins were at Daytona.

CJs7oZX.png

Reed is ass, but that's just my opinion. I'd take Bubba over him any day.

I'd bet a veteran like Biffle, Mears, or Vickers gets in the car before Reed or Bubba

I agree.

You don't put a rookie in a car to play a caretaker role. It's the reason that David Ragan, not Erik Jones, filled in for Kyle Busch. (with the exception of a couple of starts). Sponsors want someone with some kind of track record and the team wants to focus on not tearing more cars up.

I agree.

You don't put a rookie in a car to play a caretaker role. It's the reason that David Ragan, not Erik Jones, filled in for Kyle Busch. (with the exception of a couple of starts). Sponsors want someone with some kind of track record and the team wants to focus on not tearing more cars up.

Somebody better tell Mr. Hendrick about this. I think his choice of the young Mr. Bowman was a very wise one. Gordon was a sponsor darling. Alex got the car around the track!
I'm praying that this is a moot conversation. I hope to see Aric next weekend!

Nascar has a safe car by racing standards. The cocoon seats are great too.
But it is time to build some shock absorbtion into the base of the seats and out of the drivers bottom.

Those hard slams seem to be the current biggest flaw.

There was some discussion last night about the time and effort it took the rescue crews to peel the roof. Watching it on youtube, and they have the roof off within 10 minutes, him boarded and out within 14 or so. That's great work guys. I doubt you're going to see people do it faster. I've seen probably the worst possible response by a track crew, trust me these guys did great.

"Discussion" is a civil way to put it.....

Consider the source(s).

It's alright that they don't know about this stuff. There's a lot more people that have never taken someone out of a car than have. I just wanted them to know that this was a good job, and they deserve praise instead of criticism. That would have been a good time for cutting an aluminum can street car, and they were working with a heavily reinforced race car.

Safety crews need two sets of the jaws & two guys trained to use them. Passing one tool
across the roof numerous times to work one side at a time slowed the extraction.

I broke my back (L4 as opposed to AA's T5) when I was 18 but didn't know it. Just thought I was suffering from a hard football hit while making a tackle. But the soreness got worse instead of better and everything from my breathing to my digestion was effected.

Many tests later with my body basically shutting down they finally found the problem. It took a while but i healed close to 100%.

Hope AA is ok - spinal injuries are serious stuff.

As to the crew getting him out of he car, there is a very serious protocol for moving someone with a possible spinal injury. Just look how long it takes to immobilize and move a player on a football field. Getting someone out of a race car is not a simple endeavor.

A compression fracture is lucky for him. He's ambulatory and that is just AWESOME. Spinal injuries, especially that high in the spinal cord are very serious. Good news all around. He'll definately be out a while, but I'm just glad he is as okay as can be given the circumstances

I was just watching a replay of the wreck and Logano was lucky that Danica slid into him just before A.A. hit him. If she hadn't I think A.A. would have nailed him in the drivers door.

Compression fractures suck.
Doesn't matter if you're young at he time. They don't get better with time.
I experienced a C3 compression fracture from a motorcycle crash before I was 18. I've had three other cervical injuries since. They don't heal to the point that pain isn't a part of life.
I have neck pain every day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom