article: How NASCAR can get fans to return and retain them

Source of your statistic, please.

https://beyondtheflag.com/2016/07/03/nascar-interrupt-commercial-race/

"....Saturday nights race contained 124 commercials versus just 96 for 2015. That is a huge increase one year to the next for a race that did not last as long. In the amount of time the commercials took away from the race, the last 9 races averaged 19.92% of on air time to commercials. Saturday night it was a staggering 24.74% of the time from first green flag unit the checkered was commercial breaks. That is almost 25% more than the average of the last 9 points paying races."

The 2016 Daytona summer race likely had more commercials than 2015's race because the latter was heavily delayed by rain and ran outside of its intended timeslot.

The isolated fluctuation in number of commercials during the 2016 Coke Zero 400 must have been a real breaking point for @Towmater, who prefers to watch abbreviated edits of races that cut out the "boring parts" but simultaneously can't stand to miss any minutes due to advertising. Either that or he's just grasping at any negative argument he can stumble into regarding NASCAR.

Here are the numbers for the 2007 July Daytona race:

Start time to record race/commercial periods: 3:10 P.M.
End time to record race/commercial periods: 7:05 P.M.
Total minutes: 235
Minutes of race broadcast: 176
Minutes of commercials: 59

Here are the numbers for the 2017 July Daytona race:

Start time to record race/commercial periods: 7:30 PM
End time to record race/commercial periods: 11:24 PM
Total minutes of complete race broadcast: 234
Minutes of race broadcast: 193
Minutes of traditional commercials (not split-screen): 41
Minutes of 'Side-by-Side' commercials (split-screen): 15

There were less commercials and significantly more minutes of racing shown in 2017 than in 2007. Generally speaking, as stated, there has been no widespread increase in minutes of racing lost to commercials over the past two decades. If anything, with side-by-side, more racing gets shown.

* source is Jayski

With the DVR and streaming options commercials no longer bother me. IMO Nascar races are unwatchable due to the barrage of advertising and I’m not just talking traditional commercials.

I’m not being critical of those that watch the races live as I see it as a personal preference.

The hardest part of watching a race is the hyped commentary. I missed the old days when the announcers had some insight to talk about. Especially Benny's hamburgers. :D

Good point....I think the bonus points have ensured that the top 3 running up front and winning stages will make the final 4 since the bonus points carry over. I'm not crazy about it but it does reward the ones leading laps and going for the wins. I guess its still possible for someone to just point their way to a title. JL this year didn't have the year the top 3 had but he performed when he needed to. And it was pretty exciting...

The nightmare scenario imo is someone crushes 18 wins in a season 28 top5s 34 top10s, rips off 4 wins in a row going into Homestead, is beyond question the season long champion, cuts a tire down with 20 to go in the lead at Homestead and loses the championship. If I'm the beneficiary, I'm giving the trophy to the proper owner and NASCAR can rethink how they want to run things.

Back
Top Bottom