As stars depart, NASCAR navigates a future of change

I'm new here but this is my opinion on NASCAR going forward. As for the rating I believe part of it has to do with going from channel to channel. I feel like FOX and NBC should carry all Cup races and leave FS1 and NBCSN for the Trucks and Xfinity series. I know a lot of older fans still don't get FS1 or NBCSN.

To me the new chase format is awsome. A lot better than the silly points system that usually had the champion crowned before Homestead. I do feel like they should crown a regular season champion though.

I also think Toyota has been great for the sport and wouldn't mind other foreign manufactures coming in like Honda, Nissan, Hyaundi, or VW. Never understand fans not liking Toyota being involved in NASCAR. They give alot to the sport and are made right here in the USA unlike Fords and Chevy's.

I'm new here but this is my opinion on NASCAR going forward. As for the rating I believe part of it has to do with going from channel to channel. I feel like FOX and NBC should carry all Cup races and leave FS1 and NBCSN for the Trucks and Xfinity series. I know a lot of older fans still don't get FS1 or NBCSN.

To me the new chase format is awsome. A lot better than the silly points system that usually had the champion crowned before Homestead. I do feel like they should crown a regular season champion though.

I also think Toyota has been great for the sport and wouldn't mind other foreign manufactures coming in like Honda, Nissan, Hyaundi, or VW. Never understand fans not liking Toyota being involved in NASCAR. They give alot to the sport and are made right here in the USA unlike Fords and Chevy's.
Welcome to the forums Simple Fan.

Regarding the TV broadcasts, one of the main reasons Fox and NBC put up so much money for the current TV deal is so they could draw an audience for their fledgling sports networks, FS1 and NBCSN respectively. Probably why we're seeing so many Cup races on those two networks now.

As for the chase, I'm not opposed to the idea of a chase, I just don't like the current one. I liked the 2004-2013 versions as they kept the title from being wrapped up months in advance, but still usually awarded the championship to one of the top 2 or 3 drivers over the entire course of the season.

And I'm with you 100% on Toyota's involvement. I'm sure it has driven some fans away as there are people who still don't accept it a decade after the fact, but the more manufacturers the better IMO, no matter what country their corporate HQ is based in.

Also Monster would be a great sponsor I believe especially with the youth movement that is coming into the sport. Monster is great at marketing to young people and they would do a lot more for NASCAR than Sprint I feel. Could also hold more collaborative race weekends with the Monster Energy Supercross like they did early in the 2016 season.

Baseball is also similar to NASCAR in that it has an old audience and the changes they made have not moved the needle.
Most of the changes Nature Boy listed did indeed move the needle, if only because they've added between 18 and 30 games to the TV schedule. They also brought in a corresponding increase in TV and stadium revenues.

Hey, welcome to the off season!

Welcome to the forums Simple Fan.

Regarding the TV broadcasts, one of the main reasons Fox and NBC put up so much money for the current TV deal is so they could draw an audience for their fledgling sports networks, FS1 and NBCSN respectively. Probably why we're seeing so many Cup races on those two networks now.

As for the chase, I'm not opposed to the idea of a chase, I just don't like the current one. I liked the 2004-2013 versions as they kept the title from being wrapped up months in advance, but still usually awarded the championship to one of the top 2 or 3 drivers over the entire course of the season.

And I'm with you 100% on Toyota's involvement. I'm sure it has driven some fans away as there are people who still don't accept it a decade after the fact, but the more manufacturers the better IMO, no matter what country their corporate HQ is based in.

Yeah I know they want to get exposure to those channels I just feel like it does hurt a bit when they go from NBC one week to being on NBCSN for a couple weeks and back to NBC. I don't look for them to change anything I just feel like that's one of the reasons for declining ratings.

I just like the playoff format. Makes every race important and winning even more important. That's the main reason I like it is the focus on winning.

Toyota has laid down a nice blueprint for any other manufacturer looking to get into the sport. Nissan is the only one that could run in the truck series though and truely follow the path of Toyota but they don't have near as much money as Toyota. I think 4 manfacturers would be perfect for NASCAR.

Most of the changes Nature Boy listed did indeed move the needle, if only because they've added between 18 and 30 games to the TV schedule. They also brought in a corresponding increase in TV and stadium revenues.

I should have been clear in that I meant it had not changed the older demo for MLB.

Yeah I know they want to get exposure to those channels I just feel like it does hurt a bit when they go from NBC one week to being on NBCSN for a couple weeks and back to NBC. I don't look for them to change anything I just feel like that's one of the reasons for declining ratings.

I just like the playoff format. Makes every race important and winning even more important. That's the main reason I like it is the focus on winning.

Toyota has laid down a nice blueprint for any other manufacturer looking to get into the sport. Nissan is the only one that could run in the truck series though and truely follow the path of Toyota but they don't have near as much money as Toyota. I think 4 manfacturers would be perfect for NASCAR.

TV ratings and the removal of hundreds of thousands of seats happened long before FS1 and NBC Sports came along. Nobody ever wants to lose customers but what is even worse for Nascar is that it has a very old audience. 86% of Nascar's audience is over 34 years of age and 49% is over 55. Although Nascar has run off a lot of fans it is likely a bunch have died off in the last 10 years too and have not been replaced.

TV ratings and the removal of hundreds of thousands of seats happened long before FS1 and NBC Sports came along. Nobody ever wants to lose customers but what is even worse for Nascar is that it has a very old audience. 86% of Nascar's audience is over 34 years of age and 49% is over 55. Although Nascar has run off a lot of fans it is likely a bunch have died off in the last 10 years too and have not been replaced.

It also doesn't help create new fans when the older generation is so negative about NASCAR.

I took a young child to a NASCAR race last year. He was totally fixed on the fast cars and action, did not care about the points or Chase or anything.

Good point. Most younger fans are more casual fans that might attend a race for fun but not follow the sport throughout the season. Its not a problem for me but I have family that have cable and just don't get NBCSN and I imagine there are more that can't find the channel. I'm not saying that that's solely the reason for ratings declining I just feel like its part of it.

What does Monster energy taste like ,anyway ? I always assume it's like coke and coffee ?
It tastes nothing like Coke and coffee. Imagine overly carbonated water, a penny, rubbing alcohol, and a hint of fake fruity flavor mixed together. Monster, like every energy drink, tastes awful and I don't know how people can drink those. The heartburn alone I get from them is enough to turn me off.

Replacing the ones who have died off or the ones who got disenchanted and left is almost impossible ...... at least in my opinion.... The ones who brought the sport to where it is..... or. should I say ''was'' are the folks that could identify with a manufacturer and actually had zeal about a brand and their driver ....... being ''loyal'' .....Before Brian.... there was still a tiny bit of that there..... after Brian..... with all the ''spec'' cars..... making everything a level playing field.... no chance for innovation about out-thinking the competitor.... all of us old guys that haven't died are just disenchanted now...... I can't even imagine why any young fans would be the slightest bit interested.......

MLB is a sport almost entirely broadcast on cable. If you want to follow your favorite team, you need cable because most games are on a local FSN affiliate or other sports channel. The whole "NASCAR FANS DON'T HAVE CABLE" as an excuse for the ratings and attendance decline is hog wash. I watch Red Sox games and I see the stands almost completely full and their games are almost all on cable.

Remember the Atlanta Braves of the 80s-2000s? Outside of Atlanta, they were entirely on cable. No one complained about their ratings. They did quite well.

I should have been clear in that I meant it had not changed the older demo for MLB.
Oh, agreed. Those extra games they added via the playoffs are almost always on school nights, making it impossible to grow the youngest audience. It doesn't help that the game, never a fast one to begin with, seem to have actually gotten slower.

It also doesn't help create new fans when the older generation is so negative about NASCAR.

I took a young child to a NASCAR race last year. He was totally fixed on the fast cars and action, did not care about the points or Chase or anything.
I applaud you for taking a young kid to the race....... that is VERY commendable!!!

I just can't help being so negative about the Nascar I am seeing now compared to the Nascar that years ago got me so entrenched in it.... the one that made me plan each and every weekend around it... not the one now that I can't care less about........... I listen or watch sporadically if it's handy .......

... Remember the Atlanta Braves of the 80s-2000s? Outside of Atlanta, they were entirely on cable. No one complained about their ratings. They did quite well.
As I remember, the Braves were the ONLY team on cable in the '80s and early '90s. Ted Turner was able 'leverage the synergies' of owning a baseball team, owning a network-independent TV channel wanting to go national and in need of cheap content, and the rise of cable distributors equally in need of cheap content to fill their 20 to 30 channels. It would be a decade before other teams teamed with (or were purchased outright by) local media companies.

The rise of the Braves and TBS to national prominence was due to Turner's management, but there was a strong element of being in the right place at the right time.

As I remember, the Braves were the ONLY team on cable in the '80s and early '90s. Ted Turner was able 'leverage the synergies' of owning a baseball team, owning a network-independent TV channel wanting to go national and in need of cheap content, and the rise of cable distributors equally in need of cheap content to fill their 20 to 30 channels. It would be a decade before other teams teamed with (or were purchased outright by) local media companies.

The rise of the Braves and TBS to national prominence was due to Turner's management, but there was a strong element of being in the right place at the right time.

My point more or less was that the Braves thrived despite being on cable. If, in 2016, so many NASCAR fans lacked cable that it had a noticeable impact on ratings then the Braves would've encountered the same issue 20-30 years ago.

Replacing the ones who have died off or the ones who got disenchanted and left is almost impossible ...... at least in my opinion.... The ones who brought the sport to where it is..... or. should I say ''was'' are the folks that could identify with a manufacturer and actually had zeal about a brand and their driver ....... being ''loyal'' .....Before Brian.... there was still a tiny bit of that there..... after Brian..... with all the ''spec'' cars..... making everything a level playing field.... no chance for innovation about out-thinking the competitor.... all of us old guys that haven't died are just disenchanted now...... I can't even imagine why any young fans would be the slightest bit interested.......

I'm a young fan(24) and I like a lot of the changes NASCAR has made. The new chase format is great in my opinion and produces great racing. I don't have a problem with all the specifications NASCAR has as it makes the cars safer and puts the race in the drivers hands more. I should add that I've always watched NASCAR on account of my family watching and am not a new fan which NASCAR needs.

Last edited:
I'm a young fan(24) and I like a lot of the changes NASCAR has made. The new chase format is great in my opinion and produces great racing. I don't have a problem with all the specifications NASCAR has as it makes the cars safer and puts the race in the drivers hands more. I should add that I've always watched NASCAR on account of my family watching and am not a new fan which NASCAR needs.
Kudos to you my friend....... you are the type Nascar needs if there is ever going to be a ''next generation''..............

I think the best way to develop a fan of a sport or racing series is to have children grow up in a household that enthusiastically supports whatever it is they like. IMO the problem for children is not positive or negative talk but no talk at all.

Baseball is also similar to NASCAR in that it has an old audience and the changes they made have not moved the needle.

Wouldn't know. Nobody bitches about it. What kind of sport is that?

I think the best way to develop a fan of a sport or racing series is to have children grow up in a household that enthusiastically supports whatever it is they like. IMO the problem for children is not positive or negative talk but no talk at all.

My 18 year old college kid drives a Toyota, studied 36 hours straight to go to Phoenix with us, loves Kyle Busch (and had the opportunity to tell him so), and is asking for a TRD hat for Christmas. Am I still a childish fanboi who sees the sport through the eyes of an 8 year old? The hardest thing for parents to do in this day is to actually spend time with their kids unfortunately. These more mature types who do not see things through the eyes of an 8 year old have guys's nights, me time, etc. to get to instead. Glad I'm not mature. Get to the mountaintop Skoal, I'll bring the togas and beer like last time.

That's funny because I'm also 24 and agree with you on all of that.

Your avi indicates that you are an awesome fan. I got your back. #FutureLooksBright

My point more or less was that the Braves thrived despite being on cable. If, in 2016, so many NASCAR fans lacked cable that it had a noticeable impact on ratings then the Braves would've encountered the same issue 20-30 years ago.
The Braves thrived by being on a cable channel that darn near every cable provider in the country carried, that was carried on their one-and-only 'tier', and there were fewer channels for TBS to compete against / get lost in. Many NASCAR races are carried on an upper, premium, or sports-only tier, competing with hundreds of networks.

Last edited:
The Braves thrived by being on a cable channel that darn near every cable provider in the country carrirf, that was carried on their one-and-only 'tier', and there were fewer channels for TBS to compete against / get lost in. Many NASCAR races are carried on an upper, premium, or sports-only tier, competing with hundreds of networks.

And again, that points to another problem.

If NASCAR fans can't pay the extra $10-15 a month for the sports package then why should sponsors feel that they'd invest in their products?

That's funny because I'm also 24 and agree with you on all of that.
I'm older than both of you put together, and don't agree with y'all regarding the Chase. But stick to your guns; spurring debate is one of the great things about sports.

The Braves thrived by being on a cable channel that darn near every cable provider in the country carrirf, that was carried on their one-and-only 'tier', and there were fewer channels for TBS to compete against / get lost in. Many NASCAR races are carried on an upper, premium, or sports-only tier, competing with hundreds of networks.
True, I remember when my family got cable in 1985, I think we had about 35 channels and TBS was one of them. It was nothing like today where there are hundreds of channels to choose from.

I'm older than both of you put together, and don't agree with y'all regarding the Chase. But stick to your guns; spurring debate is one of the great things about sports.

I'll stick to them for sure. Winning is what its all about and the playoff format rewards that. I will say I'd like to see them crown a regular season points champion though.

We need to look at standardization of the makes too to stop Toyota and Chevy and help Ford like we did in 1997

Last edited by a moderator:
We need to look at standardization of the makes too to stop Toyota and Chevy and help Ford like we did in 1997
LOL........... No one seems to remember in '90 when the Lumina was the platform for G.M...... a damned front wheel drive........ production car made into a rear wheel drive to satisfy Nascar...... Thunderbird was the only production rear wheel drive thru '97......at least that was submitted to Nascar for approval........

LOL........... No one seems to remember in '90 when the Lumina was the platform for G.M...... a damned front wheel drive........ production car made into a rear wheel drive to satisfy Nascar...... Thunderbird was the only production rear wheel drive thru '97......at least that was submitted to Nascar for approval........
The '89-'97 T-Bird was a great looking racecar in my opinion.

Then came the catfish Taurus....

The '89-'97 T-Bird was a great looking racecar in my opinion.

Then came the catfish Taurus....
LOL......... My God you said a mouthful there......!!!!!! It was rumored at the time that the Lincoln might be submitted to replace the T-Bird..... I was really hoping for it because it was a very sporty looking car...... whoever designed the Taurus should have been given a life in prison sentence without parole...... That had to be the most God awful ugly car besides the AMC Gremlin.......

Unfortunately I can't imagine another manufacturer looking to get in the way NASCAR is trending.I have a brother that lives in Miami,Brian France spends more time in South Beach than he does at race tracks.I can only hope he is the last France to head up NASCAR.

Back
Top Bottom