Atlanta #1 Pre-Race Thread

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
All three series race at Atlanta

1678716571713.png

Just realized this race and Texas have been reduced to 400 miles.
Don't mind the change, Atlantadega is probably my least favorite track on the schedule.
On the positive side - two consecutive Saturday doubleheaders this week and next week.

I expect Hendrick to dominate as it seemed last year you weren't really able to pass

wasnt this race a wreckfest last year or am I misremembering?

Just realized this race and Texas have been reduced to 400 miles.
Don't mind the change, Atlantadega is probably my least favorite track on the schedule.
On the positive side - two consecutive Saturday doubleheaders this week and next week.
You could make it 30 miles and I'm not sure the end result would be much different

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Gordon in a ford....and a p0rn stache. LMFAO

Going to Atlanta for the first time this weekend. Can’t wait

I want to go back sometime. It's about a 14 hr trip though, so it's not the easiest trip to make. The one and only time we went, it was freezing outside on race day. And the day we went to Stone Mountain, it was raining, so we could even see anything at the top due to cloud cover. Dawsonville was cool though, minus the boy scout group that was running through the museum. Fun trip, but could have been much more enjoyable.

Going to Atlanta for the first time this weekend. Can’t wait
AMS is my home track so I might be a little bias, but I love the track and the atmosphere. Sunday is my birthday. The last time I spent a birthday at the track, I had a blast. That was the year I got almost every driver's autograph. Now, I just can't handle the rain, the sun, the walking. Getting old ain't for sissies. Enjoy your trip. I know you will.

Goodyear Fast Facts — Atlanta​

MARCH 14, 2023 AT 8:14 AM

NASCAR Cup Series — Race No. 5 – 260 laps / 400 miles
Atlanta Motor Speedway (1.54-mile oval) – Hampton, Ga.
Fast Facts for March 18-19, 2023

Tire:
Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Superspeedway Radials

Set limits: Cup: 1 set for qualifying and 9 sets for the race
(8 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)

Tire Codes: Left-side — D-5174; Right-side — D-5188

Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,264 mm (89.13 in.); Right-side — 2,278 mm (89.69 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front — 20 psi; Left Rear — 22 psi;
Right Front — 52 psi; Right Rear — 50 psi

Storyline – Super-smooth superspeedway: As of the 2022 season, with a complete repave and reconfiguration, Atlanta Motor Speedway has joined the superspeedway group of tracks on the NASCAR schedule. That means Cup Series teams will run the same package they run at Daytona International Speedway and Talladega Superspeedway. For Goodyear, the biggest challenge is the relatively “smooth” track surface, which will not naturally wear tires. In the racing world, tire wear is good because as a tire’s tread wears, it allows heat to dissipate. When teams encounter a track that does not wear tires — like Atlanta — Goodyear counters that by bringing a tire with less tread thickness (gage) to help that process along. A tire that dissipates heat and runs “cooler” runs at a more optimal grip level.
“Cup teams had two races on the ‘new’ Atlanta Motor Speedway last season to get used to the superspeedway rules package on this track configuration and new surface,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “On a smooth surface like this track now has, heat dissipation is an important factor we keep an eye on. At most facilities, the track surface generates some wear, and as a tire sheds rubber it runs cooler. At Atlanta, since it was repaved just over a year ago, the surface has not had a chance to degrade so tire wear won’t happen much on its own. Because of that, we’ve designed the tread compounds for Atlanta to introduce some wear, as well as bring a tire with less gage to help alleviate some of the heat that builds over the course of a run.”

Notes –
Goodyear rolls in construction updates to Atlanta tire set-up: Being on the 18-inch bead diameter tire, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the Xfinity and Craftsman Truck Series at Atlanta this week . . . this is the first time these Goodyear tire codes have been run . . . compared to what Cup teams ran at Atlanta last season, both this left-side and right-side tire feature construction updates . . . this is the only track at which these teams are scheduled to run either of these two codes . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars will not run inner liners in any of their tires in 2023.

Why do they not clean the tops of these race tracks off when they don't have practice?

Back
Top Bottom