Atlanta Motor Speedway 2022 update

How to say you don't understand computer modeling without saying you don't understand computer modeling. By your logic anything designed on a computer won't work.
The track doesnt even exist yet. The finished 2022 car doesnt even exist yet. Jr hasn’t even tested the current iteration of the Next Gen car yet, so he doesn’t have that experience to relay info the mix. If you think they modeled the Next Gen car 100% correctly in iRacing, you’re in for a huge awful surprise. They can model all they want, but when none if it exists yet, it’s a flat out guess.

The modeling is fine, I get that. But if Jr said “it’s pretty much the same”, then Marcus Smith oughta be hella embarrassed.

please tell me this isnt the clip that @StandOnIt was talking about. If so, then he pulled **** out of his ass because he never said that “it doesn't seem much different” and this entire session is a laughing joke.

The track doesnt even exist yet. The finished 2022 car doesnt even exist yet. Jr hasn’t even tested the current iteration of the Next Gen car yet, so he doesn’t have that experience to relay info the mix. If you think they modeled the Next Gen car 100% correctly in iRacing, you’re in for a huge awful surprise. They can model all they want, but when none if it exists yet, it’s a flat out guess.

The modeling is fine, I get that. But if Jr said “it’s pretty much the same”, then Marcus Smith oughta be hella embarrassed.
They have been testing two prototypes for over a year. But your right about the fact that it isn't finished. The Gen 6 won't be until they start racing the next Gen.

Side question did anyone hear if Atlanta is still having two races next year?

I remember being a kid watching after Atlanta was newly repaved etc before. It was super fast. The fastest track on the circuit for a while. Now with the new repave, which is necessary, but not sure about the reconfig) adding banking to make them even faster etc, but narrowing the track at the same time. I just hope someone doesn't end up getting hurt.

Shut up and drive Kevin

To be fair, that's literally how Darlington was constructed and it turned out awesome. I'm intrigued by the design, there really is no mile and a half even close to the same as this. Also the roval was pure winging it and it worked out

My only question is, why the removing of 15 feet of racing surface ? :idunno:

The added banking is just fine with me.:booya:
could be a lot of reasons. The need for a wider pit road, or a larger infield for events or camping space...or to piss off the prima donna drivers who want every track the same. :cool:

My only question is, why the removing of 15 feet of racing surface ? :idunno:
"The stated goal from SMI director of operations Steve Swift and track president Brandon Hutchison is to break the mold of so-called cookie cutter mile and a half tracks by creating something that more closely resembles the racing product at Daytona and Talladega each year."

15 fewer feet gives them less room to evade each other.

"The stated goal from SMI director of operations Steve Swift and track president Brandon Hutchison is to break the mold of so-called cookie cutter mile and a half tracks by creating something that more closely resembles the racing product at Daytona and Talladega each year."

15 fewer feet gives them less room to evade each other.

I understand this completely, my question is why?

To me, the progressive banked corner would make for much better racing.

An example is Homestead, when they did the last configuration with progressive banking the racing got better, IMHO.

An example is Homestead, when they did the last configuration with progressive banking the racing got better, IMHO.
yeah for sure, but they already have a 1.5 called Homestead. Atlanta will be different from any other track, will create it's own memories, and years later if they change it there will be people on racing boards saying the same things they are saying today. Ironic that most who constantly complain about cookie cutter tracks are having a hissy fit when they change one.

I'd argue Bristol has as well. The bigger issue I continue to hammer on is the D shaped tri-oval. A standard oval or paper clip is so much better in so many ways for the lines it allows you to run. Part of the issue with a tri-oval is it allows you to build up more speed, that in turn shrinks the racing line into corner entry. That's why turns 3-4 typically have more passing, a straight run down the backstretch

I'd argue Bristol has as well. The bigger issue I continue to hammer on is the D shaped tri-oval. A standard oval or paper clip is so much better in so many ways for the lines it allows you to run. Part of the issue with a tri-oval is it allows you to build up more speed, that in turn shrinks the racing line into corner entry. That's why turns 3-4 typically have more passing, a straight run down the backstretch
is the new Atlanta going to be a D shaped oval?

giphy.webp

yeah for sure, but they already have a 1.5 called Homestead. Atlanta will be different from any other track, will create it's own memories, and years later if they change it there will be people on racing boards saying the same things they are saying today. Ironic that most who constantly complain about cookie cutter tracks are having a hissy fit when they change one.
The 1.5 called Homestead might be on its last leg. Just don't see how it will survive at least from a fan attendance perspective.

The 1.5 called Homestead might be on its last leg. Just don't see how it will survive at least from a fan attendance perspective.
Homestead in November with those sunsets and the atmosphere around the Championship race was amazing. Total loss to move the race away from that venue IMO.

homestead-miami-speedway-e1574899096659.jpg

Phoenix in the middle of the day as a championship race just flat out sucks, also IMO.

Homestead in November with those sunsets and the atmosphere around the Championship race was amazing. Total loss to move the race away from that venue IMO.

Phoenix in the middle of the day as a championship race just flat out sucks, also IMO.
Ah but my previous idea of a championship race rotation has Homestead in there. Unfortunately I have to admit I’m not on the NASCAR scheduling committee

Got to crown champions on the west coast now. LA and Vegas are the only markets that matter to sports leagues right now.

Back
Top Bottom