Austin Dillon... The Next Big Thing?

:) Well, if Chad wins another championship with JJ, he is in a dead end job because he'll be in the same place he was 7 years ago.

Some people just dont get it. lol

He was reffering to me when he said someone said Chad was in a dead in job which btw I didn't say.

I said Chad has reached the top as far as crew chiefing goes. Somehow he spun that into me saying that Chad was at a dead end job.

Like I said, I dont think he knows what that even means. lol

When you have won 5 championships and 60 something races as a crew chief there isn't much to accomplish other than of course win more which will not advance your crew chiefing career more than it already is.

If you're comparing Austin Dillon to Jimmie Johnson then you need to lay off the sauce. :D

The subject of my post was that success, or lack of, in NWS isn't an indicator of future cup greatness. As for Dillon, he's run 8 cup races and races against a handful+ of cup drivers nearly every time he jumps in a NWS car.

Personally, I think he'll be ready for cup full time in 2014.

...When you have won 5 championships and 60 something races as a crew chief there isn't much to accomplish other than of course win more which will not advance your crew chiefing career more than it already is.
Unless you're going after Dale Inman's record ;)

The subject of my post was that success, or lack of, in NWS isn't an indicator of future cup greatness. As for Dillon, he's run 8 cup races and races against a handful+ of cup drivers nearly every time jumps in NWS car.

Personally, I think he'll be ready for cup full time in 2014.
But you compared him to Jimmie Johnson and Jimmie's NW stats. Jimmie is not your ordinary, run-of-the-mill NASCAR driver and Austin Dillon is no Jimmie Johnson.

Unless you're going after Dale Inman's record ;)

Yikes, that's akin to a driver trying for the 200 win mark.

You can try as you might but you're not going to get it. Well, maybe if Nascar goes back to racing 60 races per year. :D

But you compared him to Jimmie Johnson and Jimmie's NW stats. Jimmie is not your ordinary, run-of-the-mill NASCAR driver and Austin Dillon is no Jimmie Johnson.

Again, the subject of that post was the NWS and not Dillon so I didn't compare him to Johnson or Biffle or Vickers or anyone else. I simply used their stats as way to prove my point. Which I feel I have done although I'd be more than willing to consider your counterpoint on the subject.

"Austin Dillon... The Next Big Thing?"
The thread subject is about Austin Dillon and whether or not he's "the next big thing."
Try to stay on topic :D

Right on. Well, whenever you're ready to counter my assertion - perhaps in the random Nascar thread - that running years of NWS isn't always neccessary, I'll be around.

My apologies for going off topic as I thought that someone else brought up Dillon not being ready for cup in 2014 and staying in the NWS...must be the sauce:D

That would be fine if Dillion was consistantly running second to Kyle Busch. Guys like Smith and Hornish are having no trouble making a name for themselves in NNS, but what do I know Dillion has won the past two dash for cash.

Trained chimpanzees could win in the cars Smith, Hornish and Sadler race in. And most of the tracks are superspeedways anyways that don't require the amount of skill a dirt track does. There's a reason Austin Dillon won last night. Sam Hornish and Elliott Sadler probably wouldn't have made it in to the feature.

Down the road like what? 15 years from now?

Top 5 is still a stretch.

There are still young drivers that will reign in Nascar in 10 years time.

Kyle Busch, Kahne, Hamlin, Keselowski, Stenhouse and so on.

You say top 5 like nothing. How many more successful drivers right now are struggling to even be top 15 let alone top 5? Just think about that for a sec.

You're operating under the assumption that all current cup regulars will be gone by then which might not be the case as there are still a plethora of young guns in in cup at the moment and way down the road.

Austin has got talent, no doubt but will he be an all star, multiple championships with 50+ wins in cup? Hard sell.

For someone like Austin, top-five in five or 10 years from now isn't a stretch.

Kasey Kahne's been in NASCAR for ten years and has never challenged for a championship. Even when he won more races than anybody, he was so inconsistent that he couldn't get the job done. Hamlin's on the backside of his Cup career (no pun intended). Kyle Busch is in his ninth full-time Cup season and is still hyped up as the greatest driver in NASCAR in spite of Jimmie Johnson and Brad Keselowski.

Trained chimpanzees could win in the cars Smith, Hornish and Sadler race in. And most of the tracks are superspeedways anyways that don't require the amount of skill a dirt track does. There's a reason Austin Dillon won last night. Sam Hornish and Elliott Sadler probably wouldn't have made it in to the feature.
Well, that sounded good, but it hasn't been proven. You could be right. but comparing likes with likes, in his short career, he is 8 points out of first place and even with his total lack of race track time and experience in a N'wide ride, he is racing like the two veterans that he is barely trailing this year. He has mucho talent.

hate ta offend all these good opinions..........but i figure pop-pop...mike dillon....an sponsors will make decision when ad goes ta rcr full time cup. ha!

Well, that sounded good, but it hasn't been proven. You could be right. but comparing likes with likes, in his short career, he is 8 points out of first place and even with his total lack of race track time and experience in a N'wide ride, he is racing like the two veterans that he is barely trailing this year. He has mucho talent.

The only "driver" who I've seen not run well in Regan Smith's car is Danica ... and a trained chimpanzee could outperform her. ;)

The only "driver" who I've seen not run well in Regan Smith's car is Danica ... and a trained chimpanzee could outperform her. ;)

andy--what's w/ this monkey stuff ?

only winnin monkey in nascar was jocko flocko.........tim flock's co-driver. ha!

short career tho.

I can't believe people saying austin is the next big thing. and I am even a big fan of the cowboy hats that he and even stenhouse wear. but look austin has 2 NW wins both on the same track. I would not call that off the charts success in 1.5 seasons. compare austin to drivers like clint bowyer and carl edwards and denny hamlin, I think everyone would agree those guys have shown more sooner. ALSO austin has a huge advantage of a family that owns a huge race team. what does this do?? lots of things, it lets the guy have unlimited testing and coaching on how to drive the cars. don't underestimate this there is so much more to just jumping in a racecar and going fast. having people that can work with you is huge. I suspect the learning curve will come steeply when in full time cup.

RCR also got to test at eldora before the race ever was finalized. driving on dirt looks to me like its WAY WAY easier that pavement.

That is not comparing likes with likes..trained chimp...Danica..How much training did you say the trained chimp has? I might go with the chimp.

6299699021_2f5d122ec5_z.jpg

I can't believe people saying austin is the next big thing. and I am even a big fan of the cowboy hats that he and even stenhouse wear. but look austin has 2 NW wins both on the same track. I would not call that off the charts success in 1.5 seasons. compare austin to drivers like clint bowyer and carl edwards and denny hamlin, I think everyone would agree those guys have shown more sooner. ALSO austin has a huge advantage of a family that owns a huge race team. what does this do?? lots of things, it lets the guy have unlimited testing and coaching on how to drive the cars. don't underestimate this there is so much more to just jumping in a racecar and going fast. having people that can work with you is huge. I suspect the learning curve will come steeply when in full time cup.

RCR also got to test at eldora before the race ever was finalized. driving on dirt looks to me like its WAY WAY easier that pavement.
You just don't know. JR is a busch champion, but nothing cup.

You just don't know. JR is a busch champion, but nothing cup.
none of those drivers you listed are cup champions either HDC..good drivers though I'll give ya that much. Dillon already has an 11th place finish this year in cup, pretty impressive if you ask me, but it won't be for some. I will say this. There isn't a driver on the horizon that is going to come into any series and "dominate". I'm not talking about a cup in N'wide, but a driver moving up into one of the three top tiers, trucks, N'wide, or cup. It just isn't going to happen, too stiff competition these days. ask sliced bread about that. The latest greatest, JJ was in cup for 5 years before he won his first championship.

I think all of the cup drivers are damn good before they get to cup . I don't see any of them that are going to roll over for Austin when he gets to cup. Guys like Stewart , Harvick , Edwards, Bowyer , Jimmie and Brad , etc. are going to race him hard . And he isn't going to beat them for a few years . We'll see .

Larson has that
Who knows? Larson clearly drives a style that often leaves him open to a good counter move. Will he adjust his style quickly, or take his time adjusting like that other Phenom with no cup championship, Kyle Busch.
He has that car control thing down to some point like KB did when he came up, but I think Larson will be better than KB!

The mods should be setting aside Andy's wilder posts so we can vote on the top ten in the off season.

Austin finished out of the top ten again today , he just can't close the deal . Not a good closer.:D

There's only one driver who looks good in a cowboy hat and that's King Richard. Dillon looks like a dork wanna b, not only with the hat but a black car faintly reminiscent of Sr's made more so by the same stylized #3.
If not related to Richard he'd be lucky to get a job at a race shop pushing a broom. IMO of course.

I hate to bump a thread that's over a year old, but I was thinking about Dillon today and it's kind of interesting to see what people were saying about him last year and if anyone's opinions have changed up to this point. He has been very quiet this year, although one could argue that's not necessarily a bad thing. He has been steady for the most part and stays out of trouble, yet he hasn't been very competitive. I expected him to at least challenge for a win at some point this season, but I think it's pretty clear to everyone at this point that Larson is without a doubt the superior rookie.

Is this like a hobby of yours? Talking nonsense..

You seen to be fixated with the number 10 for some reason.

Ricky Stenhouse is a 2 time champion in the NW series so where are you getting the sense that he failed? This is his first year in Cup, one is not expecting him to be top tenning or winning races at this level yet.

Austin hasn't proven he's the best driver of this generation. How you came to that conclusion is beyond me.

Honestly, at this point no one knows what he will be capable of doing but to already be saying he's going to be a champion in cup is a stretch.

Kyle Larson has more potential tgan any of the Dillon brothers in my opinion.

You have to be realistic here, you cant crown Austin as the most talented driver without seeing what his counter parts have to offer and trust me Larson has tons.

LOL

This post was so assholish of me but dare I say right on point. Specially about the Larson part.

Then again everyone saw that clear as day.

Wow a lot of people were wrong. Larson is a star, and dillon is a good but not great driver. I'm sure hell get a couple of wins in his career

Dillon is like a Newman, Kahne, Burton, type driver imo... He'll work toward grabbing a win or two a year, but I dontthink he'll ever compete at the top tier for a cup with these guys. He's good, and who knows.. he could get better and become a superstar but I dont see it happening in the near future.... he has a lot of competition right now and even more talent about to come up through the ranks with him. Larson, Ty, Chase, Beuscher, Blaney... all guys I think will do just as good or better than Dillon in the long run. He would probably need to move to another team to have great success, and that will never happen because he drives for pop pop. So if RCR cant step it up then he's destined to be a mid packer for most of his career.

Having said that... as a Logano fan I know to never underestimate a driver. Dillon's worst thing going for him right now is just that he's basically stuck at RCR bc of family ties. RCR needs to step it up or he's doomed to being a career mid-packer.

Elliott and Larson are the two to watch in the years to come. I'm not impressed by either dillion.

Austin has had a pretty solid rookie season... I think Ty Dillon will be better though.

Back
Top Bottom