Austin Dillon's #3 Cup ride in 2014?

Everyone has a right to feel however they want about it as well as express those opinions just as others have a right to tell them that their opinions suck.

for all the benefits racing that iconic #3 brings, there is also the heavy burden of the inevitable unfair comparisons. as a dale sr. fan, if it wasn't going to be jr., at least it seems like it's still in the "family". hope it races up front.

I'd prefer it wasn't used again but since it seems inevitable at this point and there's been chatter about Dillion using it in Cup for 2 years, learned to cope with it.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and I respect that but I will be glad and for some unknown reason a little proud to see it back on the track.

for all the benefits racing that iconic #3 brings, there is also the heavy burden of the inevitable unfair comparisons. as a dale sr. fan, if it wasn't going to be jr., at least it seems like it's still in the "family". hope it races up front.
Comparisons and soon accusations will exist when it comes to that number. Just wait until the day that Austin Dillon racks up his first Cup win in the famed 3 car. I can hear the black helicopters now. Nothing will ever be accepted for what it is when it comes to that number on the side of a car.

A quick note on that number '3'. 81 different drivers carried that number on their car at one time or another in Cup.
The most famous one was the Goodwrench #3. The Cheerios #3 is a different car.

Comparisons and soon accusations will exist when it comes to that number. Just wait until the day that Austin Dillon racks up his first Cup win in the famed 3 car. I can hear the black helicopters now. Nothing will ever be accepted for what it is when it comes to that number on the side of a car.
I believe the sound you are going to hear is a very loud roar of approval from the fans.

I have a feeling the people that are against the 3 coming back to the Cup series will have a change of heat the first time Dillon pushes another car out of his way for a win. lol

I have a feeling the people that are against the 3 coming back to the Cup series will have a change of heat the first time Dillon pushes another car out of his way for a win. lol

That's why I wanted Ty to get the #3. He's more likely to adopt a little of that attitude than Austin is.

That may be so but I damn sure saw more than a little of that attitude out of Austin on the dirt of Eldora. :D

He needs to do it in NW, because he lets guys race him rough all the time and doesn't respond.

it's richard's number......so be it.

plus....didn't austin run #3 even on legend cars... on up til now ?

He needs to do it in NW, because he lets guys race him rough all the time and doesn't respond.
Yeah I know, I don't know what the deal is there but he has the fire and talent to do it from what I've seen in the trucks.

Yes, it IS just a number. But there is also a lot of emotions that go with that number to a lot of people. We can't help it.
I, for one, am happy to see it return to the track --- but the connotations that it brings to mind will always be there.

Sorry, I can understand your point of view. I was referring to those who think that it's a sacrilege for anybody to ever use the number again.

Sorry, I can understand your point of view. I was referring to those who think that it's a sacrilege for anybody to ever use the number again.
Its the same reason as the people that are happy to see it come back. The connections to it. Its just split on how best to represent that connection. I don't think it should ever be run because of what it was and is connected to. Most other think it should be run because of the same reason.

Its the same reason as the people that are happy to see it come back. The connections to it. Its just split on how best to represent that connection. I dont think it should ever be ran because of what it was and is connected to. Most other think it should be ran because of the same reason.
:idunno:

Its the same reason as the people that are happy to see it come back. The connections to it. Its just split on how best to represent that connection. I dont think it should ever be run because of what it was and is connected to. Most other think it should be run because of the same reason.
Yes, it is a conundrum, indeed.

I always used #3 on my soccer jersey in honor of Dale. Is that going too far too? Honoring a great competitor and aspiring to be as fierce as him? I guess we can't dream

Some people may not know this but Jeff Gordon actually drove a black number 3 car in a "lower series" for a time. ;)

1vXZFT6.jpg

I still think NASCAR should retire a number when the driver retires along with it.

NASCAR already tries to immitate whatever other sports do so what's one more thing?

Personally I'd hate to see another driver don the 24. Specially if he's going to make a mockery out of it. (Not that I'm saying Dillon will in the 3)

I still think NASCAR should retire a number when the driver retires along with it.

NASCAR already tries to immitate whatever other sports do so what's one more thing?

Personally I'd hate to see another driver don the 24. Specially if he's going to make a mockery out of it. (Not that I'm saying Dillon will in the 3)

Then there wouldn't be any numbers left.

Back
Top Bottom