Autoweek: Bubba Wallace to drive 43 car in 2018

I have always respected that, but I was listening to a WRC podcast last night with Jari-Matti Latvala from Toyota. He talked for an hour about car development. Fascinating. Talked. About. The. Car. That is gone from NASCAR now....haven't seen/heard anything since Brewer's Tech Garage. If there is one direction NASCAR has gone that saddens me, it is this. When one car gets ahead of the others, it's horror. There is no discussion of these cars technically until rules are broken. We have lost the cornerstone of this sport---the car. My original point....other motorsports, perhaps not so much. I'm not saying that the driver isn't significant, but to me, it's the driver's relationship with the car/team that is the story.

When I was a kid the adults I knew were loyal to a car brand so you knew when Mr. Elwood replaced his Monterrey it would be with another Mercury just like Mr. Rand would never ever have anything other than a Buick in his garage. Those days are gone and with it shade tree mechanics and young guys purchasing cars at 14-15 and getting them ready to drive for when they became licensed. As more time has gone by people see brand less and less when they purchase a vehicle so it stands to reason that a lot of Nascar fans don't see it either. Manufacturer wars used to be a lot of fun but unfortunately there is a lot of unfounded ugliness directed toward Toyota now days.

Consumer Reports will be a major factor in my car-buying decision next summer, specifically their reliability reports. Right now I'm leaning toward a Camry or a Accord, possibly a Prius, possibly a Hyundai or Kia. None of the traditional 'American Big Three' are currently on my radar.

Consumer Reports will be a major factor in my car-buying decision next summer, specifically their reliability reports. Right now I'm leaning toward a Camry or a Accord, possibly a Prius, possibly a Hyundai or Kia. None of the traditional 'American Big Three' are currently on my radar.

You can't go wrong with any of those but do yourself a favor and look long and hard at the Hyundai and Kia offerings as they have great reliability and are well priced all things considered. I have never owned a Hyundai or Kia but I know several people that do and they really like them.

Consumer Reports.....take that with a large grain of salt.

I've never heard "reliable" mentioned in the same sentence as Hyundai or Kia. Personally wouldn't even consider one. Your mileage may vary

I'm wondering if this is a short term thing (if true). I feel like the 77 isn't done forever.

I don’t think so either, but from my understading Barney doesn’t want another Jones situation where young guy goes to one of the main cars. I guess none of the actual 4 will be gone anytime soon, so if FRR did get Bell he’d have for a little bit of time there. KBM/JGR also has Burton, Gilliland and Gragson who I think they’d somehow like to keep in a Toyota

I'll beat that dead horse on the current championship format with my dying breath or until it is changed. With Nascar that shouldn't be to long.
I was more pissed about the way Jimmie won last year than Kyle and I don’t like Kyle. I agree it should be changed you can’t have one race, which eventually means one restart deciding your championship

I don’t think so either, but from my understading Barney doesn’t want another Jones situation where young guy goes to one of the main cars. I guess none of the actual 4 will be gone anytime soon, so if FRR did get Bell he’d have for a little bit of time there. KBM/JGR also has Burton, Gilliland and Gragson who I think they’d somehow like to keep in a Toyota
Which Gilliland would that be? I assume it's not David.

I've never heard "reliable" mentioned in the same sentence as Hyundai or Kia. Personally wouldn't even consider one. Your mileage may vary
Which is funny, because according to CR, the Kia Niro is the top rated reliable car, but everyone on the internet has a different car pick for 2017, but where there is smoke, there is fire.

I'm odd I suppose in that I like cars period. Yes I have love for brands, but I never locked into one where I hated the others. Grew up in a family where Dad had Chevy trucks and the cars were Chrysler or Dodge. I loved Camaros as a kid, but also Challengers and Chargers. Ironically my very first car was a used 1974 Toyota Corolla. I've owned multiple brands over the years, both domestic and foreign. Current stable is a Chevy, Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible (our beach buggy) and my company car Ford Fusion.

I primarily pull for drivers. None drive Toyotas. If one of them ends up in that badge, I will probably stick with them.

Same here. Truex has driven Chevys and Toyotas. KuBu has driven Fords and Chevys. It is the drivers that I observe the most. I mean, Chevy is more or less my favorite manufacturer, but that does not detract from my opinion of any of the non-Chevy guys.

Which is funny, because according to CR, the Kia Niro is the top rated reliable car, but everyone on the internet has a different car pick for 2017, but where there is smoke, there is fire.

I don't even know what a Niro is, lol.

IMO you usually can't judge a car's reliability for at least 5 years or 75k miles. Every "new" car is reliable until it isn't

One of my cars is a 17 year old GM brand .Total repairs ,1 water pump ! not counting lubricants, brakes, tires etc that need to be replaced on any car.A close friend purchased a new Camry 3 years ago , burned a quart of oil every 1100 miles . After oil consumption test ,Toyota said ,normal and refused to do anything . 27 quarts of oil later he traded for a Buick . It has been trouble free.

No Hellcat? Live a little!

A little living is all I'd be able to afford after fueling it, shoeing it, and insuring it. I suspect the ride is stiffer than a society matron. It doesn't appear to have much trunk space, although that could be an incorrect perception.

I'm after one thing only - transportation. I'll do my living in other ways.

I've heard Hyundai is really reliable, but I've never driven one.
I've had a 2004 Elantra for a dozen years. Last year I had to have the head gasket replaced, but that's about it. Oh, I had to have the radio replaced, but that's minor. It's why that brand is on my short list.

I'm actually dreading getting a new / newer car. There's been too many technological changes and 'improvements' that I'm not really interested in. But then I still don't like power windows or door locks; just more systems to fail.

I would like to see this!
I've Googled the crap out of it over the years and can't find an image. I KNOW I saw them at the #9 hauler. If they'd been available in adult sizes, I'd have bought five for my wife, the Scooby-Doo fan.

EDITED: Sun on beaches, I finally found it! It's a shame it isn't larger.

s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
A little living is all I'd be able to afford after fueling it, shoeing it, and insuring it. I suspect the ride is stiffer than a society matron. It doesn't appear to have much trunk space, although that could be an incorrect perception.

Ah a Toytota customer. Only manufacturer to put trd on the side of their product .Besides you'll support Rodan ,Mothra , and Godzilla who now work for the styling dept at Toyota .New Camry is 2nd in UGLY to a Pontiac Aztek

Glad DW got the ride, it should be entertaining watching him try to play big boy now.

Ah a Toytota customer. Only manufacturer to put trd on the side of their product .Besides you'll support Rodan ,Mothra , and Godzilla who now work for the styling dept at Toyota .New Camry is 2nd in UGLY to a Pontiac Aztek
Ah, but when I'm on the inside, I don't care what it looks like on the outside. My buying decision places more emphasis on the appearance of the gas pump receipt.

Last edited:

LOL just joshin ya. I drive a charger, not that one of course, but they ride great and tons of trunk space for a sedan.

Kia's are trash. I've never heard anything good about them.

As far as foreign go, the best quality mid range would be Camry or Accord (Honda)

So is the 43 a step up? Quality, competitive ride? Not trying to be a smart ass. Legit question. I’ve always liked Bubba. I hope he does well.

I have a 7 year old Nissan Altima. To date I have changed the break shoes twice. ( wife drags them)
Today I added a new gas cap and air filter to the list of repairs. I am a happy customer and the only thing wrong with the gas mileage is my heavy foot.

I've had a 2004 Elantra for a dozen years. Last year I had to have the head gasket replaced, but that's about it. Oh, I had to have the radio replaced, but that's minor. It's why that brand is on my short list.

I'm actually dreading getting a new / newer car. There's been too many technological changes and 'improvements' that I'm not really interested in. But then I still don't like power windows or door locks; just more systems to fail.
2003 Hyundai Elantra with 150k miles was my first car. Loved that thing. Beast in the snow.

Yes, I get that. A previous buncha correspondence here suggested that he never had a quality opportunity. Is this the quality opportunity that was missing?
I would guess so. Bubba having run a few races as a stand-in for Almirola this year appeared to have generated interest in him running full time at RPM.

I am very happy for him. Bubba seems like a good dude. Will definitely be rooting for him in the years to come.

I would guess so. Bubba having run a few races as a stand-in for Almirola this year appeared to have generated interest in him running full time at RPM.

I am very happy for him. Bubba seems like a good dude. Will definitely be rooting for him in the years to come.
Absolutely. I hope the kid does well.

Currently have a Camry on the last year of a three year lease. Sure the car is nice and reliable, and a great car pooling car, but it is quite possibly the blandest thing on four wheels. I’m just glad gm decided to run a faux Camaro next year, and hopefully ford does the same with the mustang in the near future. Sedans are pretty much a lumbering dinosaur that have been replaced by crossovers and other small suvs.

Currently have a Camry on the last year of a three year lease. Sure the car is nice and reliable, and a great car pooling car, but it is quite possibly the blandest thing on four wheels. I’m just glad gm decided to run a faux Camaro next year, and hopefully ford does the same with the mustang in the near future. Sedans are pretty much a lumbering dinosaur that have been replaced by crossovers and other small suvs.

Perhaps these marketing geniuses have realized that they should use their NASCAR platform to market to "car people".... Somebody who watches regularly is more likely to buy Mustang than a Fusion, I'd think.

Somebody in a Camry tried to race me at a red light the other day. Didn't work out :lol2:

Perhaps these marketing geniuses have realized that they should use their NASCAR platform to market to "car people".... Somebody who watches regularly is more likely to buy Mustang than a Fusion, I'd think.

Somebody in a Camry tried to race me at a red light the other day. Didn't work out :lol2:

Just today I smashed one of those Camry X what ever they're with my pickup, guy had a long face at the next light. They probably need to get hooked up with Mr TRD and ask for some help.:XXROFL:

There is probably only one person that would buy a Camry and attempt to boy racer with people red light to red light...

They probably post here.

Back
Top Bottom