Azerbaijan GP Thread

Ocon can still get on the podium after that incident. Really hope K-Mag holds on though.

Hobbs's Hamilton bias is awful. You can't say it's Vettel fault for running into the back of Hamilton when he break-checked him.

I have not had a chance to see the entire race, but it looks like it was a twilight zone affair. Too bad it wasn't on the same weekend as the Texas Indycar race. They would have complimented each other pretty well. I did run the Ham/Vet accident back and forth a few times. Those two need to sit down and work this out so they don't kill each other, or worse, someone else.

I'm sure the FIA has access to Hamilton's telemetry. If they find he brake checked Vettel, they should do something. If they do find it was a brake check, a grid penalty or fine is not going to be enough. They need to take his points from Baku.

I don't think Vettel hit Hamilton on purpose. That would be stupid because he could just as easily have ended his own race, or gotten DQed, or even suspended. Vettel has no kind of history of that sort of thing and is generally one of the cleanest drivers on the grid. If he does something like that again I will change my mind, but for now I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He hit Hamilton because he had both hands off the wheel and furiously gesturing. Stupid, and worthy of a penalty, but it did look like he had a reason to be upset with Hamilton. He just didn't have a reason to run into him.

Hamilton has already used up any benefit of doubt he may have been entitled to, simply from all the times he ran into Nico or simply refused to give him any room. That and he gave Nico an entire Grand Prix of brake checks at Abu Dabi last year. Lewis playing a little wide of fair has happened so many times you can easily see the pattern. All the times Hamilton ran Nico wide, or even pushed him off, it never looked like dirty driving, that is, until you watched the in-car camera and his hands. Hamilton is as dirty as we have today (Senna and especially Schumacher were far worse), but he's really slick about it. He doesn't do full track width swerves or anything that overt. He just runs you out of room and does it so smoothly that from the outside it looks like he simply ran out of grip. The in-car camera always seems to tell a different story though, and all the times he ran Nico (who's own dirty driving is another long story) wide, it was in slow corners and he never had full lock on the car. My limited experience suggests if you don't want to run into someone, turn the wheel a little more away from them.

This is why the whole safety thing is such an utter farce. The drivers moan and complain about a curb, and then they go out and drive like possessed little Satans, brake checking and running into each other behind the safety car. They have been chopping, blocking, swerving and running into each other since the Prost/Senna days, and later the art was fully refined by Schumacher. All you can do when the drivers talk about safety is laugh at the hypocrisy.

But hey, it's not like the FIA is serious about it either. From the things the FIA has let slide in the past, they have no credibility to penalize anyone for a driving infraction today. I guess if you are going to try to contain a bunch of rabid little heathens, you'de better take everything sharp away from them, but instead the FIA gave them 230 mph race cars.

That was nucking futs. Congrats to Lance Stroll. He drove extremely well amongst the carnage. It was looking very good for Haas and McLaren at one point. Crazy ****.

They were racing like they had fenders. So much debris they had to red flag the race to clean it up. It looked like they can work on the cars during a red flag.

Back
Top Bottom