Bank of America ROVAL 400 (Pre-Race)

Current NWS forecast calls for 60% Saturday and 70% Sunday, BUT less than a tenth of an inch accumulation Sat and less than a quarter-inch Sun. Sounds like just enough to make going to the wets interesting without resulting in a Mid-Ohio-style slopfest.

Now calling for 0.2 inches during the X race, and .35 during the Cup race. Saturday should give us a good indication of what to expect Sunday. Unfortunately, Sunday has a better chance of lightning.

Is the infield lit? IMSA won't need it, but Cup might.

They have wet weather tires. Run the damn race. I swear if they back out of this, I will become one of "those fans" for at least a week. Run. The. Damn. Race. What is the worst that can happen? Talladega?
I am soooo with you on this. Love when they get thrown a curve....looking forward to today to see how it plays out.

I'm starting to wonder about Sunday, not so much because of the rain as the increasing chance of lightning. I don't mind sitting in the rain to watch a race, but standing under the grandstands waiting for a race is really low on my list of entertainments.

I'm starting to wonder about Sunday, not so much because of the rain as the increasing chance of lightning. I don't mind sitting in the rain to watch a race, but standing under the grandstands waiting for a race is really low on my list of entertainments.
I’m about 40 minutes north of track and it’s pouring here now. Like you said, local news is calling for severe t-storms around 3:00 tomorrow. From what I recall, infield part of Roval is not properly lit, so this may be a Monday race even with rain tires. Really sucks too, because all week it was GORGEOUS. Low to mid 70s, sunny....

No night racing as the infield isn't well-lit enough. Sundown ~6:53 according to Bob. A few spots are prone to flooding/standing water like the backstretch chicane since the water all runs down from the top of the track there.

If they’d move the start up to 10 or 11 am, it would be wet but they’d likely get it in. Starting at 2:30 with major storms at 3? No bueno

Interesting statistic from Nascar

Rain-racing history
The Cup Series conducted two feasibility tests for rain tires in 1995 (Watkins Glen, Martinsville) and has only used wet-weather Goodyears in practice and qualifying since. Teams qualified in the rain for a Japanese exhibition race in 1997, then used rain tires during a practice session at Watkins Glen in 2000.

The Xfinity Series has been the most affected of NASCAR’s three national tours, having raced in wet-weather conditions seven times — all since 2008. Those include two instances this season — Aug. 8 at Road America and then briefly at the start of the Daytona Road Course event one week later.

So we got the first ??? Laps on NBC?... and then the last two laps will move over to NBCS or Weather Channel?

All the sudden its a legit question. NBC brought this onto themselves

Let's see ...

Phone, with e-ticket already loaded in case I can't get a signal at the track.
Scanner and headset
Poncho to cover most of me
Rain jacket with plenty of waterproof pockets, and the oversized hood to fit over headset
Visor to keep some of the rain off my glasses
Cooler and ice, to keep stuff cold in the car until I get there
2-gallon Zip-loc bag to bring in a couple of cold drinks and a Subway I'll pick up en route
Dry clothes to leave in the car and change into while working the parking lot traffic.

No point in the camera or sunscreen.

What am I missing, besides common sense?

Oh, a mask to wear in. While I'm a strong believer in them, even I'll probably ditch it if the rain picks up any at all. I doubt any viruses I exhale will stay airborne for long in a medium rain.

Reactions: Pat
Looks like yesterday got today’s rain too.

Radar looking like it might all be gone by race time unless a couple caboose cells line up just right (wrong).

tenor.gif

Raining sideways in Iredell County right now. (North of Concord, home to Mooresville where a lot of teams are based)

Back
Top Bottom