Big change in the Xfinity series

I don't understand the difference between owner points and championship owner points. Don't all owner points go towards an owner championship?
I think this only concerns the bonus points awarded toward the playoffs. Again, I think a clearer explanation needs to come out of NASCAR.

Reactions: Pat
Thanks TRL. This seems more definative.
Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass 2h2 hours ago
NASCAR to cut Xfinity field from 40 to 38 starting next year (more purse money for other 38). For Xfinity/truck owners points, win by Cup driver isn’t automatic bid and Cup drivers don’t earn playoff pts for team. Team still can make owner playoffs by points if Cup driver(s) win.

Thanks TRL. This seems more definative.
Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass 2h2 hours ago
NASCAR to cut Xfinity field from 40 to 38 starting next year (more purse money for other 38). For Xfinity/truck owners points, win by Cup driver isn’t automatic bid and Cup drivers don’t earn playoff pts for team. Team still can make owner playoffs by points if Cup driver(s) win.
I'm still confused. A Cup driver cant score points for anything other than a Cup race so how can he score points for an Xfinity team or Owner?

Last edited:
Why doesn't NASCAR just outright ban Cuppers from Xfinity and Trucks? All these vague & confusing wording tend to leave loopholes.

Lol no it’s you confused as that’s what I’m saying. They get owner points for the season, but not playoff owner points.
The owners championship is decided under a playoff format as well. So if Keselowski wins at Daytona in the 22, they don't get any playoff points for it so, after the field resets for the playoffs, it's basically as if that win didn't happen.

I'm still confused. A Cup driver cant score points for anything other than a Cup race so how can he score points for an Xfinity team or Owner?

Driver points and owner points are different.

Owner points are basically just what that car gets, like Penske has the 12 and the 22.

The 22 car gets points towards the owners championship every race

the 12 does also.

I think the 22 is the leader right now in that? So no matter who is in the car, the 22 car is getting points, same for the 12. That goes for JGR with all his cars as well, I think someone pointed out how the 18 car is in second?

The owners championship is decided under a playoff format as well. So if Keselowski wins at Daytona in the 22, they don't get any playoff points for it so, after the field resets for the playoffs, it's basically as if that win didn't happen.

Which is what I was I was saying Andy, They will get season points, which will help them with making the playoffs, but they don't get anything from that win come playoff time.

Why doesn't NASCAR just outright ban Cuppers from Xfinity and Trucks? All these vague & confusing wording tend to leave loopholes.
I'm not for a total ban. Most drivers aren't either. It's good to have cup drivers run some so the younger drivers can learn from the best.

Now that drivers have less opportunity to race with guys like Brad and Kyle, they have a steeper learning curve when they get to cup. Notice it's taking three years or more for these guys to really materialize into their potential whereas, in the early-2000s, rookies like Busch and Harvick and JJ were winning races and contending for championships in year one.
Which is what I was I was saying Andy, They will get season points, which will help them with making the playoffs, but they don't get anything from that win come playoff time.
It's confusing as hell. I don't think they should get anything at all for it.
But yeah it looks like cup drivers can still be used to get them to the playoffs so it's another toothless rule.
NASCAR needs to get to running short tracks where aerodynamics aren't that important and cutting costs so other teams can compete. I'd love to get back to the day of some local driver getting a ride with a Rick Ware team for one race at their local track and going out and getting a top-10.

NASCAR needs hometown heroes again, not rich kids with last names that nobody heard of prior to them popping up in Trucks.

Driver points and owner points are different.

Owner points are basically just what that car gets, like Penske has the 12 and the 22.

The 22 car gets points towards the owners championship every race

the 12 does also.

I think the 22 is the leader right now in that? So no matter who is in the car, the 22 car is getting points, same for the 12. That goes for JGR with all his cars as well, I think someone pointed out how the 18 car is in second?
I understand what driver and owners points are. What Im saying is why are they going to continue to give owners points during the regular season if a Cup drivers scores them but not in the playoffs. They shouldn't be scored at all.

Reactions: Pat
I understand what driver and owners points are. What Im saying is why are they going to continue to give owners points during the regular season if a Cup drivers scores them but not in the playoffs. They shouldn't be scored at all.

Because this is NASCAR and they rarely can have do anything right, and half ass a lot of things. I 100% agree with you that they shouldn't score any at all, but with how NASCAR is, it's no shock to me that isn't how it is.

Personally, I won't be happy until both Trucks and Xfinity lower the bar to where Tommy Joe Martins and Jennifer Jo Cobb are winning races and championships...:mad::mad::mad:

Personally, I won't be happy until both Trucks and Xfinity lower the bar to where Tommy Joe Martins and Jennifer Jo Cobb are winning races and championships...:mad::mad::mad:
lol. I know right?
Because this is NASCAR and they rarely can have do anything right, and half ass a lot of things. I 100% agree with you that they shouldn't score any at all, but with how NASCAR is, it's no shock to me that isn't how it is.
I can see a fund to help offset some of the cost of running a non full time ride that you stick your Cup guys in but if they arent licensed to that series, no points, driver or owner.

It's moving in the right direction, it should have it's own identity and the races without the cuppers have been good races. Watching a cup driver win all three races might be great for some, but most of the fans are complaining about it. This should clean out the playoff races at least, so it is a compromise. It should keep the cuppers in the lower series happy and give the ones that aren't enamored with them a break. The four dash for cash races without them were really good races. So they have those four for sure and then the playoff races for sure cupless.

It's moving in the right direction, it should have it's own identity and the races without the cuppers have been good races. Watching a cup driver win all three races might be great for some, but most of the fans are complaining about it. This should clean out the playoff races at least, so it is a compromise. It should keep the cuppers in the lower series happy and give the ones that aren't enamored with them a break. The four dash for cash races without them were really good races. So they have those four for sure and then the playoff races for sure cupless.

Cup guys already can't race when it comes playoff time anyway, at least that's my understanding. So it won't clean those out when they are already cleaned out. I very much also enjoy the races without them. But until I see this making any changes, I will think it won't move much of a needle. We'll see.

Cup guys already can't race when it comes playoff time anyway, at least that's my understanding. So it won't clean those out when they are already cleaned out. I very much also enjoy the races without them. But until I see this making any changes, I will think it won't move much of a needle. We'll see.

cup guys raced in the xfinity playoffs last year, Blaney raced at Phoenix in November last year, Ty Dillion also. I think Phoenix was a playoff race. Maybe it was the less than 5 years in cup? not sure

cup guys raced in the xfinity playoffs last year, and I would guess they will this year

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...elines-monster-energy-drivers-xfinity-series/

This is a story from last year.

Beginning next season, drivers with more than five years of experience in the Monster Energy Series will be limited to seven races in the XFINITY Series, down from the 10-race maximum established for this season. Drivers at the same experience level will be restricted to five races per season in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, a reduction from the current seven-race cap.

The rules also make the regular-season finale and playoff events for the XFINITY Series and Camping World Truck Series in 2018 off limits for any driver earning championship points in the Monster Energy Series, regardless of experience. That marks a change from this year’s guidelines, which stipulate that Cup drivers with five-plus years’ experience are barred from the season-ending eight-race stretch, save for the championship races, which will be exclusive to those series’ participants.

cup guys raced in the xfinity playoffs last year, Blaney raced at Phoenix in November last year, Ty Dillion also. I think Phoenix was a playoff race. Maybe it was the less than 5 years in cup? not sure
They could race until the Championship race. Thats changed for this year. Cant run at all.

I think that was the loophole for last year, 5 years and under they could still run in the final number of races.

I'm guessing here, but I'm guessing the playoff points were carried along with the car regardless who drove it during the season. Now when cup drivers win playoff points they won't be counted in the playoffs which could affect the car in the playoffs. The 22 won all of it's races with a cup driver behind the wheel, JGR and Ganassi would have been affected this year also.

I guess one could say this is a big help for Jr/Hendrick who runs four full timers all year. Or maybe the rest will follow suit

I guess one could say this is a big help for Jr/Hendrick who runs four full timers all year. Or maybe the rest will follow suit

That's a thing I really like about the team. Running four full time cars, all of them are drivers in the series. EVERY so often they have a 5th car in it that does have a Cup guy, but they clearly aren't going for owner points with that car haha. So yeah this could be good for them, or it might have others do the same. We'll see next season.

"The same objective will be at work in the owners’ championship format next year in both the Xfinity Series and Truck Series, which will be renamed the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series in 2019. Owners in both series will only earn postseason benefits — playoff points or automatic playoff berths by virtue of wins — in the owners’ standings if the driver earns championship points in their respective series. The move is meant to create incentives for organizations competing for the owner title to field series regulars."
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...-series-rules-starting-field-owners-playoffs/
Some of the wording is a bit confusing in the article.
Very
Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass
The 38-car Xfinity field next year will have 33 drivers who have the best time in first-round qualifying and then 5 provisionals (at least four on owner pts and then one past champion if there is one).
Why make it so complicated? Start the fastest 38 every week no provisionals.

Mopardh, it's NASCAR --- not much else to say. ROTFL
the guy who announced it if I heard him right said this would keep teams from hiring cup drivers in the playoffs and this will keep them from doing that. Even he is confused, Nascar banned that this year. :D

This isn’t going to do anything.
The best teams are still going to win the most points overall.
Probably so, but running a cup driver gets to be even more of a liability. you can't use them in 14 races and the playoff points when they would have to have another probably less talented driver could give other teams who are running full timers all season a better chance. Might make good sense to find a good full timer, most of the good ones aren't going to take a part time ride.

This isn’t going to do anything.
The best teams are still going to win the most points overall.
If only that were the case. The champion could score the 12th most points if he backs into 2 or 3 playoff wins...

NASCAR needs to be running more short tracks & road courses and we wouldn't have as much of an issue of equipment or restrictions on drivers.

Once again ISC and SMI owning pretty much every single track in all 3 series is a huge issue.

If NASCAR made a rule that cup drivers could only run an Xfinity race in second tier equipment, most of the problems would solve themselves. I always respected cup driver like KK racing for Redhorse instead of one of the big outfits. That's helping the sport. Racing in cup lite cars, stinking up the show and hording the purse isn't helping anything.

If NASCAR made a rule that cup drivers could only run an Xfinity race in second tier equipment, most of the problems would solve themselves. I always respected cup driver like KK racing for Redhorse instead of one of the big outfits. That's helping the sport. Racing in cup lite cars, stinking up the show and hording the purse isn't helping anything.

Half the cars in Xfinity can't run lead lap

Half the cars in Xfinity can't run lead lap

Because they are being lapped by a bunch of cup drivers in cup lite cars. Put cup drivers in cars 16th in points or lower. Let the drivers help them improve their setups and show off their superior driving skills. Those who wont do it aren't interested in helping the series. These cup affiliated teams will cut their spending, and things will start to even out.

There's too much advantage having cup drivers in only the very best cars. Switching it around would make the racing more competitive, and cup drivers will still win their share of races. That purse money is real important to these small teams. Getting slid down the pay scale by cup drivers is why many smaller teams can't afford to improve.

Because they are being lapped by a bunch of cup drivers in cup lite cars. Put cup drivers in cars 16th in points or lower. Let the drivers help them improve their setups and show off their superior driving skills. Those who wont do it aren't interested in helping the series. These cup affiliated teams will cut their spending, and things will start to even out.

There's too much advantage having cup drivers in only the very best cars. Switching it around would make the racing more competitive, and cup drivers will still win their share of races. That purse money is real important to these small teams. Getting slid down the pay scale by cup drivers is why many smaller teams can't afford to improve.

The cup teams are spending because there is money to be made. I won't buy tickets to a Nationwide unless KB and some cup drivers are in it. One of the cool things about cup drivers running nationwide at Phoenix is that we have easy access to the drivers, but all that has changed now, they have really screwed up PIR

The cup teams are spending because there is money to be made. I won't buy tickets to a Nationwide unless KB and some cup drivers are in it. One of the cool things about cup drivers running nationwide at Phoenix is that we have easy access to the drivers, but all that has changed now, they have really screwed up PIR

We just see it differently. I don't watch many cup-finity races. They are banned from playoff races, right?

Back
Top Bottom