Bojangles Bonehead

But doesn't the Car chief get his instructions from the crew chief. I thought it was his job to make sure the car was ready to unload and race as per the set up designated by said CC.
Exactly. And supervise changes during and between practice sessions and before qualifying and again pre-race.

So ... put somebody else in there first. If nothing else, it'll wake everybody up. Rather like changing personnel on the 4 crew.

I have not read every post in this thread, so I am have no idea if this has been brought up, b
The race engineer is between the two of them.
Oh right, the RE, was not 100% sure where their place in line was, before or after the car chief .

The race engineer is between the two of them.
What the heck is a race engineer doing at that stage. His work should be completed before the car leaves the shop. In this case I say he should be the first to go. If the best he has is to unload 30th then I would start there. DP is a fast driver so if the car is no good when she is on the track alone, it sure won't be very fast in a race.

Switch drivers and wraps between Childers’ effort and Scott’s effort.

I’ll wager we’ll be having this same conversation going into Richmond next year.

What the heck is a race engineer doing at that stage. His work should be completed before the car leaves the shop. In this case I say he should be the first to go. If the best he has is to unload 30th then I would start there. DP is a fast driver so if the car is no good when she is on the track alone, it sure won't be very fast in a race.
He sits beside the cc on every box on pit road.

Tire strategy. Fuel mileage/strategy. Caution flag trends. Weather. Data analysis to determine/advise the cc on pit stop chassis changes. I could go on.

Have you noticed that most crew chiefs suspended or absent for other reasons are replaced by race engineers?

Truthfully , I think she has little room to advance from 23rd . She doesn't come from a stock car background , has never turned wrenches herself and has done what no other woman had done before. It would be nice to see her crack the top twenty , but she has to become better than the likes of Biffle ,,Menard,Stenhouse ,Bayne and Almendinger to do that. She can race with those guys , but I don 't see her getting better than them .There will always be fifteen elite drivers , fifteen mid pack drivers and assorted others. I can respect any driver out there but we all know who the elite are.

Truthfully , I think she has little room to advance from 23rd . She doesn't come from a stock car background , has never turned wrenches herself and has done what no other woman had done before. It would be nice to see her crack the top twenty , but she has to become better than the likes of Biffle ,,Menard,Stenhouse ,Bayne and Almendinger to do that. She can race with those guys , but I don 't see her getting better than them .There will always be fifteen elite drivers , fifteen mid pack drivers and assorted others. I can respect any driver out there but we all know who the elite are.

I think over a 36 race season a 23rd place finish for DP would be very good as presumably if Tony and Junior would have raced the entire season they would both be ahead of her and if Clint had a car that ran on more than 6 cylinders he would likely be in the top 20 too.

She is clearly in a unique position as out of all the drivers that have run all 26 races she is in the same league as Paul Menard and Greg Biffle, better than Aric Almirola and in different league than guys like Scott, Mears, Eggs Benedict, Cassill, Buescher, Ragan and Smith. I realize that most of these guys are running in underfunded stuff and they may have better results in SHR stuff but I will leave that to others to figure out. The same holds true for the top 20 drivers in points as she is not in the same league with them as the 20th place driver is 84 points ahead of her and has 19 lead lap finishes to her 9.

I respectfully disagree with your take on the different driver tiers. To me there are normally 5 drivers that are outstanding, another 5 that are very good, another 5 that may win a race here or there and then there is everyone else. By everyone else I mean drivers that may get an occasional top 10 and may luck into a win at a plate track or weather shortened event. I am not casting aspersions on any of these drivers as they may have plenty of talent but can't show it due to the equipment they are in or the quality of their pit crew. The primary duty of these cars is to fill out the field and give us all a reason to cheer for the underdog when one or more have a great day.

He sits beside the cc on every box on pit road.

Tire strategy. Fuel mileage/strategy. Caution flag trends. Weather. Data analysis to determine/advise the cc on pit stop chassis changes. I could go on.

Have you noticed that most crew chiefs suspended or absent for other reasons are replaced by race engineers?
So they are crew chiefs in waiting like a bridesmaid.

Back
Top Bottom