Bonehead Indy

Denny for costing himself a race by running someone off and costing them the race.

Guess NASCAR also.

Without all of the insults and such, I have a few comments.

Now, the additional kerbing is necessary to prevent corner cutting. However, I disagree with turning it into a mountain for these heavy stock cars to navigate. Just flatten the kerbing out and keep it moving.

Also, of NASCAR wants to enforce these types of rules of not cutting corners. Put cones out to dictate where the drivers can safely exit onto track. Some of the penalties were a but much and no driver, especially of forced off should not be penalized for that type of move in wreck avoidance.

More road courses mean these types of things should not be after thoughts. Hopefully next year, the chaos would not be as prevalent as it was this year.

Without all of the insults and such, I have a few comments.

Now, the additional kerbing is necessary to prevent corner cutting. However, I disagree with turning it into a mountain for these heavy stock cars to navigate. Just flatten the kerbing out and keep it moving.

Also, of NASCAR wants to enforce these types of rules of not cutting corners. Put cones out to dictate where the drivers can safely exit onto track. Some of the penalties were a but much and no driver, especially of forced off should not be penalized for that type of move in wreck avoidance.

More road courses mean these types of things should not be after thoughts. Hopefully next year, the chaos would not be as prevalent as it was this year.
eh they will figure it out for next year, they have ran a whole lot of races on that course and this was the first time it happened.

eh they will figure it out for next year, they have ran a whole lot of races on that course and this was the first time it happened.
Of course, just the racing was pretty darn good. I know some things were not good such as the turn 5 kerbing taking a vacation.

The actual product was solid, race control will learn as time goes on. It was a mess from that standpoint, yet its not a deal breaker. I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than the oval.

You missed a ton of hard, quality racing then. Aside from the curb situation it was fantastic racing. Not chaos, actual racing.
o_O It must have been after the first hour and a half because I sure never saw any before I switched the channel to drag racing. I did see a lot of single file no passing racing like F1 does every time I try to watch one of their races..

o_O It must have been after the first hour and a half because I sure never saw any before I switched the channel to drag racing. I did see a lot of single file racing like F1 does.
I can't even fathom how one could watch what we saw today and come to this conclusion. The race literally kicked off with a battle between Byron and Briscoe with Larson and Chase reeling them in from behind.

I can't even fathom how one could watch what we saw today and come to this conclusion. The race literally kicked off with a battle between Byron and Briscoe with Larson and Chase reeling them in from behind. I think after Briscoe
After Briscoe passed Byron I didn't see much. Watching Larson and Elliott running behind them without passing each other back and forth is not my idea of exciting. Maybe that is why I like dirt racing so much better then road course racing. Passing back and forth excites me. But if you enjoyed it then that's awesome for you...but I just wasn't as impressed. There are others here that enjoyed it also...but there are also some others here that didn't. I personally think the bonehead goes to the one that decided to switch from the oval. Some didn't like it either but a lot of fans did.

o_O It must have been after the first hour and a half because I sure never saw any before I switched the channel to drag racing. I did see a lot of single file no passing racing like F1 does every time I try to watch one of their races..
NHRA was a fun deal today. I love watching their races wish I was more of a fan

I quit watching NHRA when they chopped off the track.
I have to say even though I consider you as my forum friend... I would rather see NHRA lose you as a viewer instead of me having to go to more of my friends funerals. It was one of the smartest moves NHRA ever made and if they ever went back I would quit watching also. But, that is a topic for another place and time.;)

I have to say even though I consider you as my forum friend... I would rather see NHRA lose you as a viewer instead of me having to go to more of my friends funerals. It was one of the smartest moves NHRA ever made and if they ever went back I would quit watching. But, that is a topic for another place and time.;)
Hey that’s cool. It’s not enjoyable for everyone anymore. My dad was a drag racer. 365” injected
0AA1646D-593C-4C6C-A352-A304C7B0C5EF.jpeg
small block Chevy on alcohol (and on two wheels.)
Sometimes motorsports advances beyond its fanbase.

Last edited:
Honestly I doubt they (the cup series) return to the Indy roval next year after that.

After Briscoe passed Byron I didn't see much. Watching Larson and Elliott running behind them without passing each other back and forth is not my idea of exciting. Maybe that is why I like dirt racing so much better then road course racing. Passing back and forth excites me. But if you enjoyed it then that's awesome for you...but I just wasn't as impressed. There are others here that enjoyed it also...but there are also some others here that didn't. I personally think the bonehead goes to the one that decided to switch from the oval. Some didn't like it either but a lot of fans did.
In my opinion the idea that racing has to be constant side by side exchanges of position every single lap is what has created the issue of NASCAR "liking what they're seeing" with high downforce and low HP. Racing is passing, but it's also the cat and mouse, the racecraft of planning your move strategically, and equal parts offense and defense.

In my opinion the idea that racing has to be constant side by side exchanges of position every single lap is what has created the issue of NASCAR "liking what they're seeing" with high downforce and low HP. Racing is passing, but it's also the cat and mouse, the racecraft of planning your move strategically, and equal parts offense and defense.
Reminds me of an interview where Tony Stewart said, "if you want to see passing I'll drive you to the highway and we'll pass cars all day, but I would rather see racing", or something similar.

Nascar isn't hurting, their base is growing, and so is attendance and that is the bottom line for all of it. The stands were much fuller for the road course than the oval has been for years and the oval was continuing on a downward spiral. People soon forget the fiasco the oval had when they raced into the night with untold cautions, drivers having heat strokes with caution after caution because passing was impossible. 14 cautions for 55 laps, 3 red flags, 2 overtime restarts, Kasey Kahne wins 2017 High Hp low Downforce.

Last edited:
"but it's also the cat and mouse, the racecraft of planning your move strategically, and equal parts offense and defense"

for this to really happen
we need to get rid of stages
there's no strategy of "coming in to fix your car" because you'll be a lap down at the planned stage
instead you ride around for 20-30 or however many laps just to stay on lead lap

"but it's also the cat and mouse, the racecraft of planning your move strategically, and equal parts offense and defense"

for this to really happen
we need to get rid of stages
there's no strategy of "coming in to fix your car" because you'll be a lap down at the planned stage
instead you ride around for 20-30 or however many laps just to stay on lead lap
or you can have a perfectly fine car and drop the jack too soon and lose 15 places. It doesn't matter if there is a stage or not, it means more chances to screw up, it all equals out in the long run.

The bonehead is a tie between IMS and NBC. For someone like me who was traveling and recorded the race, I was pretty steamed not to be able to watch the final 2 laps without already knowing who won. If IMS didn't have stupid pieces in place to cause mass chaos, the race ends on time.

Using a curb system that a car undertray can get wedged under should have been a clue to somebody that that system was a BAD idea. I agree agree on the tie between NBC and IMS. Hell, throw in NASCAR for thinking this race was a good idea in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom