Bonehead of the Race: Crashville

Larson is probably my favorite cup driver and I think he is the best driver.
I also realize he was just a passenger after clipping the apron, and as I said before I don't think he intentionally took out Chastain.

But nobodies perfect and I think he erred with the corner entry. I think he was going for the win and wanted to find a lane beneath Hamlin and unfortunately clipped the apron and it created the mess that ended Chastain's day.

I am not really bothered to much about Chastain or Hamlin for that matter. Larson has been taken out by both in the past and stuff happens. But still the same Chastain was the innocent victim yesterday.

If I was going to pick the biggest victim overall yesterday I would say it was Hamlin. I think he was the best at the end of the scheduled distance and had drove a masterful race if the world was fair he would have won the race as unpopular as it would have been.

I think it is shame to cheapen the scheduled distance which had some great racing with the dumbed down chaotic Green/White/Checkers.

One would expect the best driver in the world not to drive his car into a spot that is going to drag the frame rail and cause the car to skitter out of control.
Hold on a sec,you claim you are a racer and you think that at anytime you know where you will drag the frame rail or plant the splitter? FOH!

I don't know what planet you live on, but cutting the corner too sharp, hitting the splitter and the frame which caused Larson to lose the front end and wipe out Chastain a lane up is what I call a mistake.
I don't argue with people who aren't racers and wouldn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Hold on a sec,you claim you are a racer and you think that at anytime you know where you will drag the frame rail or plant the splitter? FOH!

Clearly it was an accident, but how can you say it wasn't a mistake? It's not like the apron jumped out and bit him. He was just a hair too low when he got up behind the 11 into the corner. It could happen to anyone. Just a racing deal

It seems odd that the world's greatest driver seems to lead his four car team in unforced errors. The primary reason Kyle Larson doesn't win twice as many races is Kyle Larson.
As a Larson fan, I don’t find this take too inflammatory. Larson does make his fair share of mistakes, sometimes costing himself and other drivers on the track as well. I think Sunday was a good example of that, unfortunately. Still think he’s in one of the top 1% of motorsports drivers across the entire sport though.

Clearly it was an accident, but how can you say it wasn't a mistake? It's not like the apron jumped out and bit him. He was just a hair too low when he got up behind the 11 into the corner. It could happen to anyone. Just a racing deal
The remark was "he ran out of talent" . He did not, that's just silly to say.

The TV broadcast CLEARLY pointed out that the yellow line was on the flat and because of the banking angle where it meets the apron that really wasn't usable race track as it is at many tracks. I would expect Larson to know that

They walk the track, Larson knew where the flat apron was. He had a picture of Denny sliding up the track after he put the fender to him...but he forgot one thing. Don't hit the damn flat apron lol. Well, maybe next time. Denny 3 Larson 0.

The TV broadcast CLEARLY pointed out that the yellow line was on the flat and because of the banking angle where it meets the apron that really wasn't usable race track as it is at many tracks. I would expect Larson to know that
Restart, pressure was low, car bottomed out. Talent still intact, End of story

• Haha
Reactions: sdj
I don’t dispute what you’re saying but on the flip side can’t making a mistake while trying to win the race (his job) can be one and the same?
To be honest the " ran out of talent" remarks are what kept this going. Watermelon and Denny both have crashed people trying to win a race. That's racin!

• Haha
Reactions: sdj
To be honest the " ran out of talent" remarks are what kept this going. Watermelon and Denny both have crashed people trying to win a race. That's racin!
I feel you there. Folks jump to that phrase way too much when in reality when it was said about that driver originally, had marginal talent at best. To phrase that driver and Kyle Larson in the same put down is humorous but yea I just kind of thought it was a racing deal myself when it happened. Unfortunate and wish he wouldn't do that sometimes but yah he wiped himself out and another good car that had a shot to win.

Dude just admit you made a mistake...like Larson. You are making a mess out of yourself.
Lots of back and forth here and I haven't read every statement made by all. I am not sure I see it as a "mistake". Sometimes you drive it in there thinking you can handle what happens. Larson does this all the time at the dirt tracks. He can run full bore through a large rut in a turn for 20 laps just fine, then all of a sudden the 21st time ruins his day. This is how he drives...on the edge. One of my favorites is when he ran the trucks at Eldora and probably hit the wall 30 times in the race. It was the 31st time that finally got him. He drives the way he does because that is what he thinks will win him the race. Mistake? I am not so sure.

Lots of back and forth here and I haven't read every statement made by all. I am not sure I see it as a "mistake". Sometimes you drive it in there thinking you can handle what happens. Larson does this all the time at the dirt tracks. He can run full bore through a large rut in a turn for 20 laps just fine, then all of a sudden the 21st time ruins his day. This is how he drives...on the edge. One of my favorites is when he ran the trucks at Eldora and probably hit the wall 30 times in the race. It was the 31st time that finally got him. He drives the way he does because that is what he thinks will win him the race. Mistake? I am not so sure.
You are talking intent...Not outcome.

Yep, we have for sure,

Dead Horse.gif

To Death.

Back
Top Bottom