Bonehead of the week: Daytona 500

MRM

Team Owner
I was going to pick Menard for causing the big one. But I think Stenhouse's move and Bowyer's misjudging his opening earn them co-boneheads for the week.

Tricky one for me. I guess it’d be the fact that the last 20 laps or so took about an hour and a half.

Tough decision, but I'm going with Menard on this one. He should have minded his business.

Tough one. I have to go with the pit crew member "putting out the fire."

I’m a Hamlin and Busch fan so no bias here but I’d give to to rowdy tbh. Never won the 500 and this was probably your best chance and you sacrifice that for team orders and blocking. I certainly hope that loyalty was worth it considering Toyota/Gibbs rewarded his loyalty with the ****bricks to end all ****bricks in the Homestead bowl.

Nascar for thinking Big Wrecks has anything to do with Real Racing.
Hope they come up with something better next year.

Nascar for thinking Big Wrecks has anything to do with Real Racing.
Hope they come up with something better next year.
How is it NASCARs fault people wrecked? o_O

If they ran single file the whole race you would be blaming NASCAR for that too... what do u want? They cant run double file the whole race without wrecking.. that has nothing to do with the sanctioning body.

If they ran single file the whole race you would be blaming NASCAR for that too... what do u want? They cant run double file the whole race without wrecking.. that has nothing to do with the sanctioning body.
Sanctioning body makes all the rules and designs the car for the 500 spectacle. With a minor change in the track many of these are eliminated. Nascar spends a lot of money advertising all the big wrecks in the 500. That is the show they want. It looks like some drivers make real stupid moves but in reality it is what they have to work with.
On the other hand the #14 has no excuse for his move other than he is a short track driver and his attention span is much like Larson. LOL

Sanctioning body makes all the rules and designs the car for the 500 spectacle. With a minor change in the track many of these are eliminated. Nascar spends a lot of money advertising all the big wrecks in the 500. That is the show they want. It looks like some drivers make real stupid moves but in reality it is what they have to work with.
On the other hand the #14 has no excuse for his move other than he is a short track driver and his attention span is much like Larson. LOL
Just want to point out that the same package just gave us two completely different styles of racing. Its the drivers.. not the rules.

Just want to point out that the same package just gave us two completely different styles of racing. Its the drivers.. not the rules.

I have to admit that the drivers mentality can make a difference in how the race plays out. I really enjoyed watching Chase in the Xfinity at least try to pass. Heck that was about the only thing that kept me from shutting off the TV. To much pressure on those young in-experienced drivers.
By the time they reach cup many of those bone head moves should be done with, however the same pressure applies and so the must try.
I look forward to next week.

Bonehead moves of Daytona for me.

1. Stenhouse - going up the middle with zero room, come on man!!! Was hoping Harvick would beat the snot out of him for that (I had Harvick to win in NASCAR Fantasy).
2. Menard - It's okay to push but to jack him up on the passenger side, come on man!!!!
3. Bowyer - I like McDowell's post race interview. "Why would I lift and give him the spot, he was moving me all day? "There was only 12 laps to go."

Currently last in my Fantasy League, every driver I had wrecked.

Untitled by jpjr501, on Flickr

Last edited:
Bowyer or his spotter, not sure if the chicken or the egg came first with that one though.

Co-winners of this weeks bonehead go to Menard and Bowyer. Honorable mentions to McCloud and Ware for that pit stop rash disaster.

I disagree that they can't run the whole race without wrecking. I've seen it done (Talladega 2002?) Whether you want to blame the driver or the spotter or both, I saw more people trying to stuff cars in places that had zero chance of success than I EVER remember. Hell Bowyer missed that hole at the end by a good two feet. For a Cup driver, that's about a mile. I thought I was watching an ARCA race those last ten laps.

I disagree that they can't run the whole race without wrecking. I've seen it done (Talladega 2002?) Whether you want to blame the driver or the spotter or both, I saw more people trying to stuff cars in places that had zero chance of success than I EVER remember. Hell Bowyer missed that hole at the end by a good two feet. For a Cup driver, that's about a mile. I thought I was watching an ARCA race those last ten laps.
One race 17 years ago.. sorry.. I guess my whole point is invalid because they did it once

Race control for not restackacking the line up twice when people were starting in the wrong spot. Larson pitted before pit road was open, he should have been at the back when Stenhouse ran over him.

Probably a tie between the pit road mishap and stenhouse

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom