Bonehead of the week: Indy

MRM

Team Owner
Lots of candidates for this one. NBC for switching the end of the race to USA, NASCAR for not throwing a caution sooner when the 41 spun, Corey Lajoie just because, Hocevar for causing a couple of wrecks.

I don’t think NBC is getting a fair shake here lol. Biden dropping out of the race was huge news, and that’s the only reason they changed to the news at 6. So there out.

NASCAR not throwing the caution, definitely deserves a mention.

Lot of the wrecks I felt was not just one persons fault yesterday tbh, so idk if I can give it to one person based off wrecks.

So I’ll go NASCAR.

Race Control and it ain't even close.

While on the topic of boneheads... the drivers better clean up their act the next few weeks. I don't mind the NASCAR Circus once in a while, but the antics are out of control. 52 cautions in the last 5 races. 8 overtimes. Multiple notable takeouts and boneheads.

So them changing over I can’t blame them for. Most weeks, on just some normal news day, I think they stick with it til the finish.

NBC definitely does not stick with the finish as much anymore. Chicago last year and this year seem to be the only instances I can think of off the top of my head. I know two of the three Nashville races have been pushed from NBC to USA.

One of my biggest gripes about NBC is that they do not update guide data for cable programming. If a race on NBC runs long, my DVR will record it with YouTube TV. If a race on USA runs long, forget about it. If a race moves from NBC to USA, it won't be on my DVR. And it's not like the races are on Peacock where you can watch on there either.

This is not a problem with Fox. If a race runs long on FS1 or moves to FS1, YouTube will fetch it because the programming guides are updated.

Understand that I only watch IMSA races on Peacock, not on USA or CNBC, because of the amount of channel flipping required.

Since every other sport on NBC is on Peacock, if there's a tornado warning or an NBC News Special Report interruption, I can go right over to Peacock and watch on there. But NASCAR on NBC? LOL, forget about it.

NBC definitely does not stick with the finish as much anymore. Chicago last year and this year seem to be the only instances I can think of off the top of my head. I know two of the three Nashville races have been pushed from NBC to USA.

One of my biggest gripes about NBC is that they do not update guide data for cable programming. If a race on NBC runs long, my DVR will record it with YouTube TV. If a race on USA runs long, forget about it. If a race moves from NBC to USA, it won't be on my DVR. And it's not like the races are on Peacock where you can watch on there either.

This is not a problem with Fox. If a race runs long on FS1 or moves to FS1, YouTube will fetch it because the programming guides are updated.

Understand that I only watch IMSA races on Peacock, not on USA or CNBC, because of the amount of channel flipping required.

Since every other sport on NBC is on Peacock, if there's a tornado warning or an NBC News Special Report interruption, I can go right over to Peacock and watch on there. But NASCAR on NBC? LOL, forget about it.
Look, all I’m saying is they kept saying “with the news today.” Which is why I’m like “okay, they would stick with it if not for that.” Because they seemed to make a point the news of Biden dropping out, is why they was like “we gotta get to that.”

• Haha
Reactions: sdj
Look, all I’m saying is they kept saying “with the news today.” Which is why I’m like “okay, they would stick with it if not for that.” Because they seemed to make a point the news of Biden dropping out, is why they was like “we gotta get to that.”

MSNBC exists for a reason. Granted, I think it was both the news and the fact that that race was going to go on for another hour.

The part that pisses me off is the DVR and Peacock thing more than anything.

MSNBC exists for a reason. Granted, I think it was both the news and the fact that that race was going to go on for another hour.

The part that pisses me off is the DVR and Peacock thing more than anything.
I’m not sure how possible the DVR thing would even be to change THAT quickly. Like they can change it within a day. But within a few seconds or minutes? Idk. Peacock yeah they should be there

I’m not sure how possible the DVR thing would even be to change THAT quickly. Like they can change it within a day. But within a few seconds or minutes? Idk. Peacock yeah they should be there

Guide data/DVR changes that quickly with Fox Sports programming and NBC (the main OTA channel).

I don’t think NBC is getting a fair shake here lol. Biden dropping out of the race was huge news, and that’s the only reason they changed to the news at 6. So there out.

NASCAR not throwing the caution, definitely deserves a mention.

Lot of the wrecks I felt was not just one persons fault yesterday tbh, so idk if I can give it to one person based off wrecks.

So I’ll go NASCAR.
Well, once again, if the races STARTED at a reasonable time, NBC wouldn't have to worry about the races bleeding into their precious news broadcast. They CAUSE these absurd scenarios in the first place and then they have to deal with the consequences, yet they never learn anything from them.

I'm calling it out because it's strictly a problem with USA. And CNBC, when it's used for overflow.

Hell, NBC updated the guide data on MSNBC to reflect that they had breaking news coverage.
I got burnt by the same issue. If I select the option to have Youtube TV record EVERY Cup race, then it needs to record ALL of EVERY Cup race, regardless of what network it gets pushed off to. This is 2024. I have higher expectations from my content providers.
The solution was as easy as changing the channel.
Not if you weren't watching it live......

While on the topic of boneheads... the drivers better clean up their act the next few weeks. I don't mind the NASCAR Circus once in a while, but the antics are out of control. 52 cautions in the last 5 races. 8 overtimes. Multiple notable takeouts and boneheads.
The drivers may be boneheads, but NASCAR is just reaping what they have sown with underpowered cars that promote aggressive blocking and the win and you're in playoff model. If you're not willing to stick a car in a hole where it probably doesn't belong, enjoy running 30th every week.

Well, once again, if the races STARTED at a reasonable time, NBC wouldn't have to worry about the races bleeding into their precious news broadcast. They CAUSE these absurd scenarios in the first place and then they have to deal with the consequences, yet they never learn anything from them.

If the race started earlier, there STILL would have been a lengthy interruption for an NBC News Special Report.

Lots of candidates for this one. NBC for switching the end of the race to USA, NASCAR for not throwing a caution sooner when the 41 spun, Corey Lajoie just because, Hocevar for causing a couple of wrecks.
Yep bum steer for all those who only had regular TV and were jacked up to see the race. They all do it. just because... billionaires doing billionaire things. Every station in the country had something on it but you know...BREAKING NEWS.

I thought 130pm central was a very fair start time.

Really good post and I know what you mean. I would really appreciate it if NASCAR could become more consistent in the calls officials make. They ignore the obvious and penalize the obscure.

You’d think The President of the United States would have checked to see how the race was going before deciding on a time for his announcement.

I can only imagine the outrage if his resignation came during big time pro or college ball game! People might turn into zombies😅

I don't think that is going to happen. If anything, I believe it is going to ramp up. All the big guns are mostly only racing for playoff points, regular season points are less important. They are already in the playoffs.

Nascar and it ain’t even close

Honorable mention to Hocevar and lajoie. Anytime lajoie sniffs the top 5-10 he makes a mistake. I thought he had a flat the way he launched up the track getting into the turn but he just overdrove the corner that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going with Biden, then NBC, then NASCAR Race Control, then the driver of the #8 car (can't remember his name).

I don't think that is going to happen. If anything, I believe it is going to ramp up. All the big guns are mostly only racing for playoff points, regular season points are less important. They are already in the playoffs.

Larson, Elliot, Hamlin and Reddick are definitely racing for regular season points as they would love to get all the playoff points that come with winning the regular season points.

You’d think The President of the United States would have checked to see how the race was going before deciding on a time for his announcement.
Granted, they wiped out the pre-race, which honestly I don't watch anyway. 90% of the time I fast forward until the green flag is in the air. That being said, everything we learned from their twenty minutes of yammering could have been accomplished with a two minute cut in, with instructions to go to MSNBC for further discussion. This was not surprising or earth shattering news . It didn't even contain a formal statement. The finish of the race COULD have been avoided.

NBC keeps advertising their races (not the USA races) are on Peacock. I never can find them on there. I see them on the NBC Sports app, but not on Peacock.

Back
Top Bottom