Bonehead of the week: Las Vegas

Hamlin trying the same strategy as Busch and Truex but not being fast enough to make it matter.

That or the air gun manufacturer.. not much else to go off really

Truex for backing up the bottom lane on old tires thru 1 & 2 which subsequently led to Chase Elliott being in the position he was in when he got taken out.

Truex for backing up the bottom lane on old tires thru 1 & 2 which subsequently led to Chase Elliott being in the position he was in when he got taken out.
Not sure what the 78 was trying to accomplish there. He would've been over a second slower per lap and if that had been a long green run, probably would've gone a lap down or at least come close to it

No obvious candidates stand out this week. So I'm going with NASCAR and their mandated Harbor Freight air guns.
I second this and will take it a step further to include who's ever idea it was to go to NASCAR mandated Air Guns from Harbor Freight

Not sure what the 78 was trying to accomplish there. He would've been over a second slower per lap and if that had been a long green run, probably would've gone a lap down or at least come close to it
I' say its boneheaded if you dont try something, doing the same as the 4 wasnt going to beat him. 78 hadnt seen clean air all day so they gave it a shot. Big deal

yeah I agree, they would have buried him, bad enough he stunk up the whole restart. They caught a break on their own bonehead

No obvious candidates stand out this week. So I'm going with NASCAR and their mandated Harbor Freight air guns.
I third this

Kurt Busch for driving above his talent level and taking out the 9 car as well as himself.
I am sorry,I got tons of respect for you , but this pure horse poop, the rear of the car broke lose, you could see it , it was 100% a racing deal, nothing more, nothing less.

I understand , you are a Chase fan, so its all good in the hood , enjoy one on me :cheers:

I am sorry,I got tons of respect for you , but this pure horse poop, the rear of the car broke lose, you could see it , it was 100% a racing deal, nothing more, nothing less.

I understand , you are a Chase fan, so its all good in the hood , enjoy one on me :cheers:
My gf who is a conspiracy theorist to the core calls me after work and greets me with the following: "He wrecked him on purpose! I'm convinced. They heard the radio chatter between Chase and Alan about Harvick's window and took him out on purpose."

Lmao no dear. No.

It was and still is an opinion. I think the rear of the car broke loose because he was over driving and over steering the car. Hence the above his head opinion. Have one on me also. :cheers: :D

It was and still is an opinion. I think the rear of the car broke loose because he was over driving and over steering the car. Hence the above his head opinion. Have one on me also. :cheers: :D
Of course it was your opinion, I really was just giving you a hard time, its hard to know sometimes with text;):)

The body guys at SHR. They made their modification a bit to noticeable. People are talking.
giphy.gif

My gf who is a conspiracy theorist to the core calls me after work and greets me with the following: "He wrecked him on purpose! I'm convinced. They heard the radio chatter between Chase and Alan about Harvick's window and took him out on purpose."

Lmao no dear. No.

Damn, I just about spit up laughing when I read that. Funny stuff, thanks for sharing.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chase-elliott-kurt-busch-wreck-231146066.html

Sounds to me like Kurt blamed the handling of the car for the cause of the crash.

“I was running the low groove and it just stepped out on me,” Busch told Fox. “I wasn’t even trying to fill the hole or go 100 percent. I had it at 90 percent and I knew Chase was going to be on my outside and it was just that quick. We were back there in the dirty air, but Turn 4, I always know it is slick and I wasn’t even pushing through there and it stepped out on me. Ruined his day, ruined my day. I hate it for all the Chase Elliott fans and the Kurt Busch fans and my hometown fans. I wasn’t even pushing hard. I knew we had one more stop and then we were going to go. It just stepped out on me. It is ridiculous.

Norm Benning
Listen, Benning did nothing wrong. Its up to you and your spotter to look ahead and prepare to make a move on a slower car/truck. PERIOD. This is what i do and what Ive done for 30 years. If you cant navigate traffic in the bigs you dont need to be there.

something looked funny about the way Kurt's car got loose or what I though looked tight. it didn't even seem like it would correct. didn't his front end hit the 9 first? I'm going of seeing one replay of it and haven't look for it.

I just saw it again (guess I could have done that first). either his car wouldn't go left of he just decided to try to stay out of everyone elses way.

This is not the first time that Kurt Busch has mentioned the Fords being a bit loose. :growl:

As for who is the bonehead of the week, it is a hard one.

Rick Crawford?

NASCAR's officiating in the Truck Series, can't fault Norm or Mike Harmon for being slow as hell, but NASCAR needs to park them.

Probably Rick Crawford though

Listen, Benning did nothing wrong. Its up to you and your spotter to look ahead and prepare to make a move on a slower car/truck. PERIOD. This is what i do and what Ive done for 30 years. If you cant navigate traffic in the bigs you dont need to be there.

One thing I learned VERY quickly. It's a lot harder to spot for a very slow car than one running with the pack, at least on smaller tracks. The closing rates can be unreal. Norm was running a shoestring operation 15 years ago when I left the scene. I don't think much has changed. I also think it could be argued that the minimum speed is a little too slow.

One thing I learned VERY quickly. It's a lot harder to spot for a very slow car than one running with the pack, at least on smaller tracks. The closing rates can be unreal. Norm was running a shoestring operation 15 years ago when I left the scene. I don't think much has changed. I also think it could be argued that the minimum speed is a little too slow.
Thats true. I'd much rather spot for a car in the front, thats easy.

Do you spot for anyone currently?

Isn't it also kind of the responsibility of the spotter for the slower truck to be aware of where the leaders are and direct their driver to get out of the preferred line when they're approaching? It seems like it was just a combination of failures in this case.

Lets see now. We have a "jack man" blaming Nascar and the rest of the world because the crew never does anything wrong. And a spotter blaming the driver and another spotter of a very fast truck when a slow driver pulls up in front of said faster truck and almost causes a disaster. Okie dokie.

Lets see now. We have a "jack man" blaming Nascar and the rest of the world because the crew never does anything wrong. And a spotter blaming the driver and another spotter of a very fast truck when a slow driver pulls up in front of said faster truck and almost causes a disaster. Okie dokie.

Whoa, bud, I didn't blame NASCAR for anything other than MAYBE they should take a closer look at the minimum speeds. As far as the Benning team, as long as they are running at or above that minimum, you can't blame them for being too slow. As for the spotter, yeah maybe the spotter didn't do a very good job of keeping Norm out of the way, I don't know. I had to leave and only saw about 10 minutes of the race, so I can't comment on specifics, but I WILL attest that keeping a slower vehicle out of the way is somewhat harder than it looks. The old rule of thumb is to hold your line and let the faster cars pick their way around you, but sometimes it's harder to do THAT is than it looks too. It also assumes that the each faster car knows what your line IS. If you are running an unorthodox line to keep up to the minimum speed, it can catch somebody by surprise. I will also say that at the lower levels there can be a WIDE difference in the talent levels of the spotters. The fact that I was allowed to do it with ZERO experience other than watching others do it on TV attests to that.

Back
Top Bottom