Bonehead of the Week: Richmond II

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
WJLA-TV Washington, DC for deciding to extend their news broadcast instead of going back to the race when they have a dedicated cable and a dedicated secondary broadcast channel for news coverage for this type of event.

Other nominees: Tony Stewart for not keeping his promise to wreck Kenseth "every chance he gets".
Hambone for his crybaby interview.

Bonehead of the week goes to myself for counting out that 24 team halfway through the race.

As for those in the race, I'd have to agree with Matthew and say no one. Everyone raced great, some people, such as Hamlin, just had tough luck with the rain strategy.

Dave Rogers for failing to do what was so obviously simple when Jeff was a lap down. Do what Jeff will do. Keeping Kyle out when Dave knew Jeff had to come in for tires is what cost Kyle his chase spot.

I missed the race but curious to find out what exactly Gibbs did during the race to upset Kyle Busch? Who made the call that ended his chase hopes?

Either way, good luck Kenseth - you're going to need it.

I missed the race but curious to find out what exactly Gibbs did during the race to upset Kyle Busch?
After the race he leaned his head in the car when Kyle pulled into the pits and basically told Kyle to 'handle this the right way'.

Kyle basically said afterwards that there is no right way to handle the situation.

I'm not sure who made the call that ended his hopes or if it was simply meant to be.

After the race he leaned his head in the car when Kyle pulled into the pits and basically told Kyle to 'handle this the right way'.

Kyle basically said afterwards that there is no right way to handle the situation.

I'm not sure who made the call that ended his hopes or if it was simply meant to be.
Well, Gibbs wanted a tamer, kinder, gentler Busch and looks like he got it.

How about that Gordon slipping in there so he can Kenseth can battle it out for the cup?

I'm finding it hard to believe nobody noticed what was going on when Rogers made that insanely dumb call to keep Kyle out on old tires while Gordon came in for 4. The only way the call made sense is if rain was coming, and even then it didn't make much sense. The 18 had just one goal at that point, and that was don't let Jeff beat you buy more than 12 spots. It's as if Dave let Gustaffson make the call that was best for Jeff.

I'm finding it hard to believe nobody noticed what was going on when Rogers made that insanely dumb call to keep Kyle out on old tires while Gordon came in for 4. The only way the call made sense is if rain was coming, and even then it didn't make much sense. The 18 had just one goal at that point, and that was don't let Jeff beat you buy more than 12 spots. It's as if Dave let Gustaffson make the call that was best for Jeff.

Several others stayed out as well which causes me to wonder if they were seeing things on the radar that impacted their strategies.

The part I found most interesting was Kyle's radio chatter where he implied that he wanted the 20 to bring out a caution. "Why is nothing happening? I should have at least one ally out here." He was trying to sat it in a manner that wouldn't arouse the suspicions of race control.

Several others stayed out as well which causes me to wonder if they were seeing things on the radar that impacted their strategies.

The part I found most interesting was Kyle's radio chatter where he implied that he wanted the 20 to bring out a caution. "Why is nothing happening? I should have at least one ally out here." He was trying to sat it in a manner that wouldn't arouse the suspicions of race control.

Wow, that's a story right there. Maybe JGR will sign Paul 'spin on command' Menard to help him out next year.

As far as radar, Rogers shouldn't have even looked at it to make the call to come in. Jeff was a lap down and had burned his tires up, so Dave knew he would come for 4 and be faster than Kyle. Bringing Kyle in for 4 tires was a no brainer, and Dave manned up and took full responsability for blowing the call. Now we'll see how Kyle races during the chase. If he thinks that's a good time for payback, nascar needs to sit his ass out.

I knew they had blown it and called it in the Johali thread during the last caution.

I knew they had blown it and called it in the Johali thread during the last caution.

You, me and Racer8 saw what was happening when Kyle stayed out. Then someone's CC said rain was coming, but the call still didn't make much sense. Kyle's fate was sealed right there. I bet Dave was praying for rain that last run. If Dave had called Kyle in earlier and executed a clen stop, they still may have squeeked in.

I didn't know invitations were required. I am trying to stay out of the turf wars, and committed to my principles everywhere (sleaziness, racing, and BS)

there isn't a turf war. Just an effort to have fun and give TRL a break from all the whining that goes on. You see, we share many of the same principles.

Kyle Busch because he is the biggest bonehead this and most weeks.

considering the circumstances, Kyle did damn good. He did exactly what Joe asked, because Joe Gibbs knows Kyle isn't going to give a smiling speech after that huge rogers induced choke.

He got out of the car, and Gibbs backed off. He walked to the hauler and took a minute to cool off. He came out and answered a couple of questions without terding out. What more do people expect from him? I thought he did fantastic. I really was proud of how he kept his composure.

Back
Top Bottom