Bonehead of the week: Sonoma & Road America

MRM

Team Owner
Some good bonehead candidates this week. I didn't see the Nationwide race, so I can't comment on any boneheads there. For Sonoma, you had Dale Jr., Stewart, Bowyer, Kurt Busch and Kez as some of the candidates. My pick is Dale Jr. for taking out Kenseth. I know it wasn't intentional, but not a smart move at all.

Sonoma: Harvick's pit crew for sure, but a shout out also goes to a boner head who consistently over drove the car and put himself in harms way for nothing doing his best Robbie Gordon impression..that would be the rat terrier J.J. Allmendinger. Road America: That was a pretty clean race also. Trevor Bain would take the award. He apparently was driving way faster than his skill level because he completely demolished his car with a series of single car wrecks.

Sprint Cup: Kevin Harvick's pit crew.

Nationwide: ESPN. Is it really that hard for a producer to do a Google Search and find out who Kevin O'Connell is when he's running up front? Anyone remember that time that quarterback threw a touchdown in that NFL game and the announcers said they didn't know who he was or where he came from? Oh, right, that doesn't happen because people who cover NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA are expected to have a profound knowledge about the sport and the rosters.

Sprint Cup: Kevin Harvick's pit crew.

Nationwide: ESPN. Is it really that hard for a producer to do a Google Search and find out who Kevin O'Connell is when he's running up front? Anyone remember that time that quarterback threw a touchdown in that NFL game and the announcers said they didn't know who he was or where he came from? Oh, right, that doesn't happen because people who cover NFL, MLB, NHL and NBA are expected to have a profound knowledge about the sport and the rosters.

guess you were too busy, they did say who and what Kevin O'Connell was. He ran in the back of the pack for most of the race until the last pit stop shakeup and pit strategy got him up front

Cup: At least Dale Jr dimed himself out. Gotta go with Harvick's crew.

NNS: Can't really blame anyone; its not like these guys got a ton of experience running in the rain.

I couldn't believe Harvick was complaining to his crew chief, and his crew chief was like "what did we do?" IMO he shouldn't have had to say anything, his crew chief should have been on the radio apologizing to him. Something ain't right with that picture, they have been screwing up way too long without any changes.

Kevin himself.gave up as the driver 2.7 seconds. crew gave up just over a second.compared to JJ. So lets put most of the blame where it belongs
I'd say their strategy in general was bad - didn't they get burned a few times because they stayed out too long? I'd give the bonehead award to Jr.... he was a little bit of a wrecking ball out there. And Trevor Bayne on Saturday couldn't get out of his own way :owquitit:

gonna say Jr., really can't say Harvick's crew are boneheads, they just are not a top crew. need better crewmen, and Tony's gonna have to do something about it.

I'd say their strategy in general was bad - didn't they get burned a few times because they stayed out too long? I'd give the bonehead award to Jr.... he was a little bit of a wrecking ball out there. And Trevor Bayne on Saturday couldn't get out of his own way :owquitit:
Bayne runs off the track..again... into the mud, comes back on the track and storms into the next corner. Ka blam straight into the wall, like a june bug hitting a light bulb. Says to the interviewer, "well I couldn't stop, had mud all over my tires from going off the course". :p

sfaf.jpg

Harvick for NOT winning another race, he has the fastest car week after week but manages to blame the pit crew every time he loses a race. No excuse after this many screw ups for not fixing the pit crew issue

looks like RCR all over again he got the car , but he just can't that number one spot and it is everyone else's fault.

He's supposed to replace the pit crew on his own? Seriously?
sometimes the driver has to step up and carry the car. Kevin just can't seem to do that, hence all of his 2nd place finishes in the nascar championship.

well before ya throw the baby out with the bath water, The Harv is locked in and despite whatever you want to call it, bad luck or just stupid, he keeps knocking on the door almost every week. I don't see any other driver this year doing that including Johnson.

sometimes the driver has to step up and carry the car. Kevin just can't seem to do that, hence all of his 2nd place finishes in the nascar championship.
He's led 375 more laps than everyone not named Jimmie Johnson, he has as many wins as anyone not named Jimmie Johnson, he has the 3rd-best qualifying average, he has the most poles...exactly what else do you want him to do? He's had a top five pit crew exactly three times this year and he finished 1st, 1st, and 2nd in those races.

Kevin himself.gave up as the driver 2.7 seconds. crew gave up just over a second.compared to JJ. So lets put most of the blame where it belongs
Jimmie was the leader headed into the pits so, first off, he can open up a gap around the hairpin before the first timing line. Second, he had the stall directly behind Harvick's so he had a direct entry into the box while Harvick didn't. There's your difference in driver times (which was actually only 1.3 seconds rather than the 2.7 you'd like to believe).

Rodney Childers also had this to say:
“We basically sat on the jack for about three seconds waiting on fuel and we didn’t need to,’’ Childers said. “Bad, bad miscommunication or decision on some of the pit crew member’s part.’’

Jimmie was the leader headed into the pits so, first off, he can open up a gap around the hairpin before the first timing line. Second, he had the stall directly behind Harvick's so he had a direct entry into the box while Harvick didn't. There's your difference in driver times (which was actually only 1.3 seconds rather than the 2.7 you'd like to believe).

Rodney Childers also had this to say:
I wonder why the crew members are the ones deciding to wait on fuel instead of the CC o_O

I wonder why the crew members are the ones deciding to wait on fuel instead of the CC o_O
I wonder why they still have a job? I could understand last year with Kurt Busch's problems, his crew wasn't making the big bucks, but that shouldn't happen as it has with Harvick's bunch

I wonder why they still have a job? I could understand last year with Kurt Busch's problems, his crew wasn't making the big bucks, but that shouldn't happen as it has with Harvick's bunch
Probably a bit hard to find a better crew on short notice. Could probably swap with Tony's, though. He doesn't seem to need top performers servicing his car this year.

It was most likely a miscommunication before the stop. By the time the CC recognizes it during the stop and tells the gas man to stop you've already wasted a bunch of time. I don't believe the gas man really decided to fill up on his own as Childers guessed.

Probably a bit hard to find a better crew on short notice. Could probably swap with Tony's, though. He doesn't seem to need top performers servicing his car this year.
Tony had a complete spare pit teams that he leased out, but since going to 4 teams this year, i guess he no longer has any spares

the 78 car was using RCR nationwide crew with Kurt

He's supposed to replace the pit crew on his own? Seriously?

I would imagine that someone other than the driver "replaces the pit crew" but whoever is responsible out to get it done, Harv may not be yelling loud enough

He's led 375 more laps than everyone not named Jimmie Johnson, he has as many wins as anyone not named Jimmie Johnson, he has the 3rd-best qualifying average, he has the most poles...exactly what else do you want him to do? He's had a top five pit crew exactly three times this year and he finished 1st, 1st, and 2nd in those races.
so if he doesn't have a top five crew he can't finish in the top five? that is the point I was making. some times the driver has to do it all and he just can't seem to do that.

Back
Top Bottom