Brett Griffin: Garage talk is that AllStar package being used at all tracks next season

I didnt see a mini Daytona or Dega race at Charlotte. I saw great racing, passes for the lead and cars with Throttle response.
I thought it looked like a mini dega and daytona....... the Cars were in a pack the whole race. Sure you had passes for the lead because the cars couldnt away from each other. In fact you had passes all over the field. I am sorry its just not my cup of tea........ this isnt racing to me.

I thought it looked like a mini dega and daytona....... the Cars were in a pack the whole race. Sure you had passes for the lead because the cars couldnt away from each other. In fact you had passes all over the field. I am sorry its just not my cup of tea........ this isnt racing to me.

To each his own but if its not racing, what it is? Also Ive never see a Dega or Daytona plate race where the leader had over 2 seconds on 10th place. I did here.

Last edited:
I've always felt like it would take a lot to get me to quit watching but if this is true I honestly can't see having any interest. What's the point of watching a race where Landon Cassil is as likely to win as Kyle Busch just because it's a crap shoot.

To each his own but if its not racing, what it is? Also Ive never see a Dega or Daytona plate race where the leader had over 2 seconds on 10th place. I did here.
I think its a gimmick if I can be honest with you. Nothing about it screams skill of a driver or even team strategy. I might be speaking out of turn but from what I saw during the race it just gunks up the field and makes parity, like everyone on the same level. I want to see the best of the best go at it, I want to see the best teams try to outscheme each other at the shop and pit crews battle on pit road. The reason I've loved the F1 season so far is that we are seeing the best car with some might say the best driver just throw it all away as a wiley driver and defending champion team capitalize on the mistakes. Im not sure if we will have that with what is being rumored. So to circle back and answer your question..... what does it look like? Well To me it looks like a video game with the assists turned all the way up and difficulty set on easy.

These cars havent really been difficult to drive since the 90's.
Then why did the actual athletes in the sport bother to point out that they weren't hard to drive when asked what they thought of the package?

Kyle Busch's back was sore the other night after he got out of the car because he was tensed up from driving on edge all night. Was he lying?

I think its a gimmick if I can be honest with you. Nothing about it screams skill of a driver or even team strategy. I might be speaking out of turn but from what I saw during the race it just gunks up the field and makes parity, like everyone on the same level. I want to see the best of the best go at it, I want to see the best teams try to outscheme each other at the shop and pit crews battle on pit road. The reason I've loved the F1 season so far is that we are seeing the best car with some might say the best driver just throw it all away as a wiley driver and defending champion team capitalize on the mistakes. Im not sure if we will have that with what is being rumored. So to circle back and answer your question..... what does it look like? Well To me it looks like a video game with the assists turned all the way up and difficulty set on easy.
The best drivers and cars will always be at the front of the feild no matter the package presented, its always been that way and the best car won the all star race. Does it give some of the less funded teams a better shot, yeah maybe a little but Im ok with that. It was fun watching AJ mix it up with the guys but he never was a threat to win it like he would at Daytona or Dega. Cream will rise to the top. JMO and I respect yours.

The best drivers and cars will always be at the front of the feild no matter the package presented, its always been that way and the best car won the all star race. Does it give some of the less funded teams a better shot, yeah maybe a little but Im ok with that. It was fun watching AJ mix it up with the guys but he never was a threat to win it like he would at Daytona or Dega. Cream will rise to the top. JMO and I respect yours.
Thanks dude, I respect your opinion, racing background and expertise on here so I wanted to keep it civil. I'm just a fan who watches on his couch or when time allows at the track, you actually lived it so you would know way more about it than I would. I just didnt care for the All Star Race and I probably wont care for this package, I dont know what would change my mind honestly. Guess thats a good question. However I would like to post this, this is what the drivers said sounds like they didnt much care for it but would be okay with some tweaking. https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/0...car-to-make-all-star-package-harder-to-drive/

I've always felt like it would take a lot to get me to quit watching but if this is true I honestly can't see having any interest. What's the point of watching a race where Landon Cassil is as likely to win as Kyle Busch just because it's a crap shoot.

looking at the highlights, The Larson. Logano battle was something you never see and it went on for laps. Stenhouse causing a wreck is nothing out of the ordinary. I didn't see a winner of any stage in a pack myself, I do think some people hallucinate what they want to see. I did see the ability to pass three wide on the straights and more importantly thru the turns if they needed to and that never happens at Charlotte. Let's see Harvick won stage one, KBD won stage 2, Harvick won stage three by a fender, and Harvick won the race.didn't see any difference here. Two of the big three won the race. A.J. out drove his ability, Stenhouse did too, nothing new here either.

Then why did the actual athletes in the sport bother to point out that they weren't hard to drive when asked what they thought of the package?

Kyle Busch's back was sore the other night after he got out of the car because he was tensed up from driving on edge all night. Was he lying?
Every driver I know has back pain and its caused by years of abuse and wrecks. If he said he was tense then he was tense. These things are Caddilacs compared to the cars of yesterday, dont kid yourself.

Thanks dude, I respect your opinion, racing background and expertise on here so I wanted to keep it civil. I'm just a fan who watches on his couch or when time allows at the track, you actually lived it so you would know way more about it than I would. I just didnt care for the All Star Race and I probably wont care for this package, I dont know what would change my mind honestly. Guess thats a good question. However I would like to post this, this is what the drivers said sounds like they didnt much care for it but would be okay with some tweaking. https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/0...car-to-make-all-star-package-harder-to-drive/
Snappy I say what ever the drivers dont like, I'm all for it

looking at the highlights, The Larson. Logano battle was something you never see and it went on for laps. Stenhouse causing a wreck is nothing out of the ordinary. I didn't see a winner of any stage in a pack myself, I do think some people hallucinate what they want to see. I did see the ability to pass three wide on the straights and more importantly thru the turns if they needed to and that never happens at Charlotte. Let's see Harvick won stage one, KBD won stage 2, Harvick won stage three by a fender, and Harvick won the race.didn't see any difference here. Two of the big three won the race. A.J. out drove his ability, Stenhouse did too, nothing new here either.
I really honestly havent had a problem with the racing since 2014 really. That year was so good, I found 15 and 16 and last year exciting. I just dont see the need to change this, I legit have been entertained by every race this year except maybe last week's. and I still watched the whole race on DVR.

I really honestly havent had a problem with the racing since 2014 really. That year was so good, I found 15 and 16 and last year exciting. I just dont see the need to change this, I legit have been entertained by every race this year except maybe last week's. and I still watched the whole race on DVR.

The racing has been fine, people are complaining about the racing like they’ve never followed a season of cup before... reap what you sow.

Every driver I know has back pain and its caused by years of abuse and wrecks. If he said he was tense then he was tense. These things are Caddilacs compared to the cars of yesterday, dont kid yourself.
I'm not kidding myself, every sport in the world is more luxurious than it was 20+ years ago, that's obvious.

I'm simply applying common sense here. If you have the best drivers in the sport going out of their way to say that the package was easy to drive, they were clearly comparing it to what the cars normally feel like during a race - aka not easy to drive.

Snappy I say what ever the drivers dont like, I'm all for it

That is really ignorant in this scenario.

“The cars are too easy to drive and it’s boring” are pretty concerning statements from people competing in the premier stock car series in the world. They aren’t complaining about tires, or decals, or weekend schedules, they are talking about how the cars drive and how the skill involved is going completely out the window.

I'm not kidding myself, every sport in the world is more luxurious than it was 20+ years ago, that's obvious.

I'm simply applying common sense here. If you have the best drivers in the sport going out of their way to say that the package was easy to drive, they were clearly comparing it to what the cars normally feel like during a race - aka not easy to drive.
Slower is easier to drive, easier to drive = better racing.

And the comments are all from the top team drivers who have a vested interest in the status quo. ;) The fans at the race loved it. bingo.

There are two posters here in favor of proposed power reduction. You and spotter.

Most fans are not at all interested in removing power and creating quasi-pack racing. All the drivers hate it. Posting a comment with a passive-aggressive wink emoji doesn’t change facts. The vast majority of fans and almost all die hard fans are against these changes.

I saw cars that could not pass unassisted by another car, I saw good cars drop like a rock after getting out of line and not receiving any "help". That, to me, is not a racing.

That is really ignorant in this scenario.

“The cars are too easy to drive and it’s boring” are pretty concerning statements from people competing in the premier stock car series in the world. They aren’t complaining about tires, or decals, or weekend schedules, they are talking about how the cars drive and how the skill involved is going completely out the window.

I dont GAS if a driver thinks its boring and easy to drive. His opinion is irrelavant to me. The fans, now thats what I care about.

There are two posters here in favor of proposed power reduction. You and spotter.

Most fans are not at all interested in removing power and creating quasi-pack racing. All the drivers hate it. Posting a comment with a passive-aggressive wink emoji doesn’t change facts. The vast majority of fans and almost all die hard fans are against these changes.
uh huh :booya:
CONCORD, N.C. — After an unusually entertaining Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race Saturday night, many fans left Charlotte Motor Speedway bubbling with excitement.

A new competition package produced tight racing and daring driving. Even though the usual suspect — Kevin Harvick — won the race, there was an interesting mix of competition throughout the evening and an air of uncertainty about what might happen from one lap to the next.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...e-aero-package-future-points-races/627174002/

I saw cars that could not pass unassisted by another car, I saw good cars drop like a rock after getting out of line and not receiving any "help". That, to me, is not a racing.
I saw cars pass unassisted. I saw cars lose spots due to handling which doesnt play a role in plate racing except maybe the July race at Daytona but they dont fall far.

I can tolerate it 4 times a year. 2 at Daytona and 2 at Talladega. Anything else is a hard no from me.

uh huh :booya:
CONCORD, N.C. — After an unusually entertaining Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race Saturday night, many fans left Charlotte Motor Speedway bubbling with excitement.

A new competition package produced tight racing and daring driving. Even though the usual suspect — Kevin Harvick — won the race, there was an interesting mix of competition throughout the evening and an air of uncertainty about what might happen from one lap to the next.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...e-aero-package-future-points-races/627174002/

Refer back to my “shiny things” comment on page like, one.

Go on reddit and look at their Brett Griffin thread. Those same people lamenting right now were jumping for joy during and immediately after the all star race, and then reality caught up. Posting an article from 5/20 is irrelevant. Google ‘All Star Package’ now and try and find a recent article shedding a positive light-you won’t.

These cars havent really been difficult to drive since the 90's.
What a ridiculous thing to say. Count the number of guys spinning out on their own while trying to keep up to competitive speed. Take a look (and listen) to in-car cameras, with guys apexing at 45-60 mph below entry speeds, and fighting like hell to get back to full throttle before the guy ahead... or the guy coming from behind. Look at how many cars slip up the hill out of the bottom groove... and get passed because of it. Dumbing down that skill-based racing with high drag and high downforce and anemic motors will be a farce to those who understand what it takes to race at the front. And those who don't understand and don't care anyway... they won't be entertained for long by the relentless droning sound of WFO packs.

All racing cars are easy to drive slowly a couple tenths off the pace. Driving at competitive speed, and doing that while going head-to-head against the other fast guys... has never been easy and certainly isn't easy in 2018.

lol. The night of the race it was polling Positive at over 80%

Yeah. So one nights results, should convince you to completely revamp the series.

Again, these same ****wads that blew up Jeff Gluck’s twitter in support of the race are now back pedaling en masse.

yep the fans loved it, many tracks want it, the Xfinity Indy race was the best one of the weekend two years in a row .

What a ridiculous thing to say. Count the number of guys spinning out on their own while trying to keep up to competitive speed. Take a look (and listen) to in-car cameras, with guys apexing at 45-60 mph below entry speeds, and fighting like hell to get back to full throttle before the guy ahead... or the guy coming from behind. Look at how many cars slip up the hill out of the bottom groove... and get passed because of it. Dumbing down that skill-based racing with high drag and high downforce and anemic motors will be a farce to those who understand what it takes to race at the front. And those who don't understand and don't care anyway... they won't be entertained for long by the relentless droning sound of WFO packs.

All racing cars are easy to drive slowly a couple tenths off the pace. Driving at competitive speed, and doing that while going head-to-head against the other fast guys... has never been easy and certainly isn't easy in 2018.
Comparatively they are certainly easier to drive then cars that were built in the 90's and prior, its not even debateable.

Back
Top Bottom