Can anybody catch Matt Kenseth for the Cup?

• Thread starter 4xchampncountin
  • Start date

4xchampncountin

Does anybody here believe anyone besides Jeff Gordon or Dale Jr can catch Matt Kenseth at this point in the season? I really don't think it is likely that anyone besides Jeff Gordon can catch him. That being said, there is a lot of racing left and anything can happen. Matt has really not had any bad luck to speak of this year. Nearly a 300 point lead at this point of the season is very substantial, but certainly not insurmountable. One DNF by Matt and the whole field looks different. I am very impressed by Matt's run to this point and if anybody is going to beat Jeff for the championship, I would really like it to be Kenseth.

What do you guys think?

Jr and Jeff are about the only ones that have much of a chance to win the title. However it is going to take Matt having some bad luck along with one of the other two having some good luck. So far the team is having luck at the right time and making the right calls to at least make a decent finish.

He still hasn't finished worse than 22nd...I think he has got this one wrapped up!

Its Kenseth's Cup to loose. Almost a 300 point lead this far into the season, almost unheard of. Even on bad days and this team is racking up top 15 finishes. Nobody will catch them, in my opinion.

Its Very unlikely someone could, but anything can happen!
Case in point, Sterlin last year!

I don't think so. The way Newman's been running I think he could get up to 2nd by the end of the year if he keeps it up, but no matter how Kenseth's car is, he always finds a way to pull out those top 5 or top 10 finishes at the end of the day like past champions.

I really, really doubt that anyone will be able to catch Kenseth. 300 point lead this late in the season? Even if he has a couple DNF's he'll still be leading.

Start engraving Matt Kenseth on the last Winston Cup trophy,it's over for Everyone else.The other drivers are having some bad breaks while that #17 team just keeps rolling along with nothing really bad happening to Them. ;)
Jeff Gordon will win the first Nextel Cup in 2004,U heard it here first,LOL :lol: :D

Starting to look bleak for Dale Jr and Jeff Gordon. Unless Kenseth starts blowing engines, cutting tires right and left or being wrecked, I dont see him losing this one; but with so many races to go, now it's just a race to see who can minimize their points loss. :lol:

I doubt anyone can catch him, but remember how far behind alan kulwiki was in '92. The fat lady isn't singing yet, but she's starting to warm up.

If you remember, Jeff was a lot closer two weeks ago. One DNF is all it takes to throw a big monkey wrench into the works. That being said, I really do think Matt will likly win it. I just don't think you can count the 4 time Champ out just yet. ;)

Originally posted by 4xchampncountin@Aug 4 2003, 07:21 AM
If you remember, Jeff was a lot closer two weeks ago. One DNF is all it takes to throw a big monkey wrench into the works. That being said, I really do think Matt will likly win it. I just don't think you can count the 4 time Champ out just yet. ;)
glad you aren't showin any bias toward Jeff.... ;)

if Jr or Jeff(or anyone for that matter) are going to catch Matt, they are going to have get more consistant and Matt is going to have to have some probs, as it stands now, Matt could hop the fence and land in a pond and somehow still pull out a decent finish... :lol:

I hope someone can and does catch Matt. I mean how boring for the points race to be decided already and the season is just over the half way mark.

If he blows up or cuts a tire a time or two... then it'll be anybody's ballgame.
I think someone will run him down.

Originally posted by DirtyMo1381529@Aug 3 2003, 11:35 PM
I doubt anyone can catch him, but remember how far behind alan kulwiki was in '92. The fat lady isn't singing yet, but she's starting to warm up.
I was thinking the same thing. That being said though, I think this one is about over.

Like I said, unless he cuts tires right and left or blows engines, it's over. But I'm not counting anyone in the top 10 out for the championship.

With 15 races left, Jr would have to avg 19/20 points per race more than kenseth. So he would have to average finishing 4 to 6 places ahead of Kenseth to over take him (neglecting any bonus points for laps led).

It would take a couple weeks of bad luck for kenseth to loose it, but you never know until the final black and white.

Kenseth is going to have to have 3 or 4 really bad finishes. Then Gordon or Earnhardt. Could catch him. Neither one of them can afford any bad luck. So unless that happens I would say Kenseth has it in his back pocket. :D

Originally posted by DeeDee@Aug 4 2003, 07:43 AM
I hope someone can and does catch Matt. I mean how boring for the points race to be decided already and the season is just over the half way mark.
:bleh:...boring my eye!

Originally posted by Gollum@Aug 4 2003, 07:11 PM
Kenseth is going to have to have 3 or 4 really bad finishes. Then Gordon or Earnhardt. Could catch him. Neither one of them can afford any bad luck. So unless that happens I would say Kenseth has it in his back pocket. :D
Hopefully he can sneak in a few more wins. After Charlotte, I actually felt like he had a good chance to win it (2003 championship) this year, but was worried he was just points racing. But after his interview at Pocono last week and the way he ran at the Brickyard...I felt better knowing he is still trying to win races.

Originally posted by 17_Fan+Aug 4 2003, 09:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (17_Fan @ Aug 4 2003, 09:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DeeDee@Aug 4 2003, 07:43 AM
I hope someone can and does catch Matt.&nbsp; I mean how boring for the points race to be decided already and the season is just over the half way mark.
:bleh:...boring my eye! [/b][/quote]
Now be honest 17_Fan, if you weren't a fan of Matt's wouldn't you find it boring to to watch the rest of the season knowing he has this thing all wrapped up?

Originally posted by DeeDee+Aug 4 2003, 08:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DeeDee @ Aug 4 2003, 08:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -17_Fan@Aug 4 2003, 09:14 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--DeeDee
@Aug 4 2003, 07:43 AM
I hope someone can and does catch Matt.  I mean how boring for the points race to be decided already and the season is just over the half way mark.

:bleh:...boring my eye!
Now be honest 17_Fan, if you weren't a fan of Matt's wouldn't you find it boring to to watch the rest of the season knowing he has this thing all wrapped up? [/b][/quote]
Heck no!!! ;)

Originally posted by 17_Fan+Aug 4 2003, 10:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (17_Fan @ Aug 4 2003, 10:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--DeeDee@Aug 4 2003, 08:24 PM
Okay I almost believe ya... :rolleyes:
Ya don't have to believe me...just agree with me. :p [/b][/quote]
UMMM, NO! ;)

Originally posted by DeeDee+Aug 4 2003, 08:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DeeDee @ Aug 4 2003, 08:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -17_Fan@Aug 4 2003, 10:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--DeeDee
@Aug 4 2003, 08:24 PM
Okay I almost believe ya... :rolleyes:

Ya don't have to believe me...just agree with me. :p
UMMM, NO! ;) [/b][/quote]
please? :waver:

I am outta here. have a good night...
And BTW, still NO ^_^ :p :lol:

Its not just about him not having bad days its when he has a worse then usual day others in front of him have worse days. I have seen him have a terrible car and run in 23-18th position and towards the end of the race people ahead of him have problems and get involved in things and he ends up in 14-8th.

I think this season has sucked only high point was the darlington race, especially with all the races won by gas and pit strategy. Oh well enjoy it matt , hopefully nascar will bring on the new point system next year.

This is Matt's to lose. Can that happen, sure. Will it, hard to say. The only ones with a realistic chance to catch him are Jeff and Jr. Jeff is going to need to step it up and Jr. will need to be consistant. Can this happen, yes. Will It? I hope so. I'm a Jeff fan. But...Matt would make a good champion.

Well, I am new at this, all I wanted to do was chat about todays race, however I do no think that anyone will catch Matt. I've been following his career a long time and he deserves it. But if anyone does I hope that it is Jeff. :cheers:

Well, I am new at this, all I wanted to do was chat about todays race, however I do no think that anyone will catch Matt. I've been following his career a long time and he deserves it. But if anyone does I hope that it is Jeff.

Well it looks like Jeff just suffered from some of the bad luck Matt needs to make this a close pts race....

Looks like the ball just got passed to Jr....

Matt looks like he is going to run away with the cup at this rate.

Judging from today, Kenseth has avoided basically everything that could go wrong, last week at the Brickyard with the yellow flag, and this week with a fender rub. To have a 258 point lead this late in the season, Kenseth is putting all the pressure on the competition, now that he has this lead.... he doesnt really need to worry about points, all he just needs to do is race for the win.

IF Jr were able to keep gaining on Matt (needs about 19 a race) he could catch him. He'll need several more days like today though to make that realistice (almost 30 pt gain).

I think I just being optimistic about closing in.....

Back
Top Bottom