Can Controversial Drivers Have a Negative Impact on Their Sponsors?

stop-n-hop

Team Owner
New Member!
For years Nascar fans have had the reputation for being very loyal to the sport’s sponsors. Has there ever been an instance that an unpopular driver negatively impacted their sponsors?

For years Nascar fans have had the reputation for being very loyal to the sport’s sponsors. Has there ever been an instance that an unpopular driver negatively impacted their sponsors?
MWR Racing, Rocket Fuel and trying to fix an outcome of a race cost him his NAPA sponsorship and therefore his entire business.

I mean there was a time M&Ms was about ready to drop Kyle Busch

If the driver runs up front, I'd guess the sponsor wouldn't care, or at least they shouldn't. If Kyle went out and said a bunch of offensive stuff, I wouldn't support him, but I'd still buy M&Ms. Now if Kyle said this and that, then followed it up with "And M&M's agrees with me," then they might dump him.

I think a lot of it has to do with what kind of image a sponsor is trying to project and what their target consumers are. Would a company like Kroger want their driver pissing people off, getting in fight and swearing? Definitely not. Now would a sponsor like Monster be more tolerant of that? Most likely as its more part of the high adrenaline brand they're trying to promote.

As far as having a negative impact I'm not sure, but there has been some cases where driver and sponsor just didn't match and didn't do anything to benefit the sponsor. Kahne in the Bud car? He's a good driver, but not the right guy to represent a beer company in this sport

Harvick is a beer sponsors dream. obviously companies have capitalized using him in his cup career. He fits that marketing so well.

another thought I had about the Suarez/Subway stuff that was mentioned earlier... the first second that news came out that they were dropping their sponsorship... I thought to myself “they were desperate to get out of the Cup series after Carl left”. I feel like Subway was looking for any way out possible lol.

as for the general question, I think each situation is unique. I personally don’t think negative storylines in a race STRONGLY translates to a certain company out there and how they’re operating and serving their customers.

but I’m sure many CEOs and important folks would read my words and do a backflip to tell me I’m wrong. And I could be, just my thoughts being on the outside, as a fan

Last edited:
I don't think so. NASCAR and NASCAR drivers just aren't big enough in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I mean Shell/Pennzoil signs an extension with Logano, and everyone hates Logano, right? And the next thing ya know, oil prices decline to zero dollars per barrel... so yeah!

I mean Shell/Pennzoil signs an extension with Logano, and everyone hates Logano, right? And the next thing ya know, oil prices decline to zero dollars per barrel... so yeah!

Oh please. Say you are being sarcastic. The oil industry doesn't even know who Logano is.

I believe the cancel culture is losing steam, so any negative affects is all in the minds of the board of directors of the companies. I might get PO'd by a driver, but I buy what I like.

as for the general question, I think each situation is unique. I personally don’t think negative storylines in a race STRONGLY translates to a certain company out there and how they’re operating and serving their customers.
As you said, it depends on the situation. It depends on why the driver is considered controversial. Being controversial doesn't always equate with being thought of negatively.

I believe the cancel culture is losing steam, so any negative affects is all in the minds of the board of directors of the companies. I might get PO'd by a driver, but I buy what I like.
Most of the examples cited so far occurred over a few decades, and pre-date any current cultural trends.

Logano may not be that well liked among the hardcore NASCAR crowd, but he's articulate, says the right things, gets solid results on the track and behaves off the track, so he makes a good corporate spokesman. To the outside world, he's great. Sometimes us hardcore fans overestimate our relevance in the big picture.

As you said, it depends on the situation. It depends on why the driver is considered controversial. Being controversial doesn't always equate with being thought of negatively.

In the 1980's Junior Johnson wanted to hire Dale Earnhardt but Budweiser thought he was not the kind of representative they wanted for their brand. Of course the irony is that within a few years Earnhardt became the biggest marketing machine in the history of the sport, and eventually, Budweiser couldn't WAIT to sign a mega bucks deal with DEI...... The other irony is that Bud LOVED Darrell Waltrip, and a couple years later he decided that Bud wasn't the right kind of sponsor for HIM.

In the 1980's Junior Johnson wanted to hire Dale Earnhardt but Budweiser thought he was not the kind of representative they wanted for their brand. Of course the irony is that within a few years Earnhardt became the biggest marketing machine in the history of the sport, and eventually, Budweiser couldn't WAIT to sign a mega bucks deal with DEI...... The other irony is that Bud LOVED Darrell Waltrip, and a couple years later he decided that Bud wasn't the right kind of sponsor for HIM.
I don't think anyone, including harvick, can come even close to the exposure Junior gave Bud driving the 8 car. That was an epic match during an unprecedented time for Nascar.

Even though the proof is out there I’m amazed that someone would choose between a Bud and a Coors, or a Lowe’s and a Home Depot etc. based on who drives for them.

Even though the proof is out there I’m amazed that someone would choose between a Bud and a Coors, or a Lowe’s and a Home Depot etc. based on who drives for them.
NASCAR fans are very brand loyal

Did you read the thread title ?

Yeah, thought that it was a given that if a driver did, he would be dropped, but I went to the higher level thinking skill place. Sorry, I will dummy it down. Lots of good examples here. I'll translate....M&M's, Interstate Batteries still being sold. No impact on sponsors.

MWR Racing, Rocket Fuel and trying to fix an outcome of a race cost him his NAPA sponsorship and therefore his entire business.

My friends @StandOnIt and @Snappy D must have overlooked this. They are very concerned that you read the thread title correctly. Did the DRIVER have a negative impact on sponsors? No evidence to suggest that NAPA lost money, but certainly, and to your point, the controversy had a negative impact on driver(s) in that situation. I, like you, see this as a reciprocal relationship.....IF the driver impacts the sponsor negatively, he will be dropped I would think. In the NAPA situation, I think that it was more about NAPA reacting to the social media blitz....not sure that the controversy impacted them in any meaningful way.

My friends @StandOnIt and @Snappy D must have overlooked this. They are very concerned that you read the thread title correctly. Did the DRIVER have a negative impact on sponsors? No evidence to suggest that NAPA lost money, but certainly, and to your point, the controversy had a negative impact on driver(s) in that situation. I, like you, see this as a reciprocal relationship.....IF the driver impacts the sponsor negatively, he will be dropped I would think. In the NAPA situation, I think that it was more about NAPA reacting to the social media blitz....not sure that the controversy impacted them in any meaningful way.
So this wasnt negative? You're full of such BS sometimes, my computer screen gets foggy. I am very excited to see how you spin this while insulting my intelligence level.

Last 2 races of 2011 does not equal "loss of sponsorship"... They're still kissing the ring.
the title of the thread isnt "Driver Actions causes loss of sponsorship." It is:
Having to have your owner bail your @ss out at the last minute after a temper tantrum on track constitutes having a negative impact on a sponsorship to me.

Yeah, thought that it was a given that if a driver did, he would be dropped, but I went to the higher level thinking skill place. Sorry, I will dummy it down. Lots of good examples here. I'll translate....M&M's, Interstate Batteries still being sold. No impact on sponsors.
ha ha a shot at intelligence level. Let me return serve...Car Owner having to have meetings with sponsors after driver tantrum on track causes said driver to get parked during race is probably a negative impact on sponsorship. No where in my statement or previous statements did I say Kyle Busch was dropped, I didnt imply that, didnt think that nor was I taking a shot at Toyota. The Kyle Busch incident did happen, I dont live in a Toyota World where its all sunshine, unicorns and rainbows where you reside. You were looking to pick a fight in my view in this instance or have some type of PTSD from having to defend Toyota constantly on here, where in this instance it wasnt needed. I myself have said I am a Kyle Busch fan, look forward to watching Kyle Busch in person when I go to races, like Kyle Busch and actually have two or three of his shirts. I dont wave a Toyota flag 24/7 like yourself and stick my head up my @ss when it comes to Toyota discussion, I can only speak for myself in this instance when I was merely saying what actually happened on and off track. Like do you actually get paid from Toyota to come on here and be a massively annoying cheer leader for them or are you under the age of like 15 and just happen to not grow out of fandom yet? I havent figured it out. In fact thats a rhetorical question I dont care to know, now if I may how about you "Lets Go Places" and put me on ignore because frankly I have no use in previous, current or future interactions with you.

the title of the thread isnt "Driver Actions causes loss of sponsorship." It is:
Having to have your owner bail your @ss out at the last minute after a temper tantrum on track constitutes having a negative impact on a sponsorship to me.
Yeah.... For the last 9 years Mars has kept sponsorship of a Champion.
Guess it wasn't so bad as to "drop sponsorship " for Kyle as you said. It was 2 races, and Interstate Batteries stepped up. Apparently, not too negative...

So this wasnt negative? You're full of such BS sometimes, my computer screen gets foggy. I am very excited to see how you spin this while insulting my intelligence level.
Preacher Joe was doing flip flops :biggrin:

Guess it wasn't so bad as to "drop sponsorship " for Kyle as you said. It was 2 races, and Interstate Batteries stepped up. Apparently, not too negative...

Well I tell ya what, if you can find another story where a sponsor dropped a jackass like a hot potato, and it scared him so much he started his own Xfinity team flop let me know will ya.

Well I tell ya what, if you can find another story where a sponsor dropped a jackass like a hot potato, and it scared him so much he started his own Xfinity team flop let me know will ya.
What does that even mean?

you do know that Joe Gibbs had to have meetings with the Mars people in between Texas and I think it was Phoenix to save the sponsorship after the Busch/Hornaday incident right? This is widely known, you know this actually happened. I didnt make this up this seriously actually happened in real life. I didnt say anything about Kyle Busch not being a champion, Mars leaving Kyle Busch or Interstate. Just iam trying to get you to understand Joe had to have emergency meetings with the Mars folks to keep the sponsorship, which brings me back to original question of this thread:

I mean there was a time M&Ms was about ready to drop Kyle Busch
Your words. Maybe the interpretation was clouded.
Where did the info come from about the meetings Coach had? If you could share a link, I would like to read up on it as I can't seem to find anything about them.

Your words. Maybe the interpretation was clouded.
Where did the info come from about the meetings Coach had? If you could share a link, I would like to read up on it as I can't seem to find anything about them.
I understand you are having a problem grasping the concept and have to have everything spoon fed. But it ain't working in my case. Ain't nobody making this stuff up except your denial. :idunno: I don't know about yourself, but I and most of the racing world would agree that this action had a negative impact on their sponsor when they are "wrangling" over dropping KDB or not.

Although M&M's parent company, Mars Inc., has a contract with JGR, company officials wrangled with JGR all week over whether they wanted Busch to represent the brand anymore.

^^^Thanks. I knew you were a Stand Up Guy, and I could count on you to clarify it for me.
You'll be my go to guy in the future.^^^

I understand you are having a problem grasping the concept and have to have everything spoon fed. But it ain't working in my case. Ain't nobody making this stuff up except your denial. :idunno: I don't know about yourself, but I and most of the racing world would agree that this action had a negative impact on their sponsor when they are "wrangling" over dropping KDB or not.

Although M&M's parent company, Mars Inc., has a contract with JGR, company officials wrangled with JGR all week over whether they wanted Busch to represent the brand anymore.

Looks like you're going to be Google soon

Back
Top Bottom