Can Larson dethrone Chase as the MPD?

wi_racefan

Team Owner
Sure sounds like Kyle is gaining a lot of traction with doing the double and he definitely seems like more of a man of the people.

The guys on the Teardown were discussing it this week.

Wasnt it just a best fan club award prior to Mr Hendrick (aka the Felon) buying off the delegates that actually make the votes that get counted.

Well yeah I can see why the driver or team would care, but as a fan? I never cared if Jeff Gordon won the MPD award, but I guess thats just me.
Plenty of herd following band wagoners, cult member personalities that it's important to besides the typical fanatics lol. I'm with you, I don't care, it has never been my criteria that drivers I like to pull for be the most popular or politically correct.

FWIW Bill Elliott would’ve won this in 2001 if he had he not withdrawn his name from consideration. He also beat Dale Jr for the award in 2002.

As a Chase fan, I kind of hope he DOES lose the MPD. Just like with Dale Jr, it's used far more as a dig against him than anything positive, and I'm quite sure HE doesn't give a crap.

As a Chase fan, I kind of hope he DOES lose the MPD. Just like with Dale Jr, it's used far more as a dig against him than anything positive, and I'm quite sure HE doesn't give a crap.

I'm quite sure he gives a crap, being MPD makes him a lot of money.

No.

Elliott has this locked down for life.

Does anyone actually believe Bill Elliott was more popular than Dale Earnhardt or Jeff Gordon?

I think Kyle Larson is wildly popular though because of the dirt track following.
Right. The Elliott cult is a strong one.

I've never understood why fans care about this award. I mean whats significant about it?
They only care because it's Chase Elliott and it keeps them up at night trying to figure just why he's the darn most popular driver with such a bland PeRsOnAlITy.

I'll go to bat for Chase any day of the week but even I don't give a damn if he's the MPD. I understand why is, and have explained it numerous time on here, and it has nothing to do with "personality". If that truly mattered, it'd be Bubba Wallace every year. Yet he's not accepted for other reasons we won't get into. It just shows how full of **** the entire personality argument is. It doesn't matter to them at all despite how much people want to say it does.

They only care because it's Chase Elliott and it keeps them up at night trying to figure just why he's the darn most popular driver with such a bland PeRsOnAlITy.

I'll go to bat for Chase any day of the week but even I don't give a damn if he's the MPD. I understand why is, and have explained it numerous time on here, and it has nothing to do with "personality". If that truly mattered, it'd be Bubba Wallace every year. Yet he's not accepted for other reasons we won't get into. It just shows how full of **** the entire personality argument is. It doesn't matter to them at all despite how much people want to say it does.
I don't think I have ever heard anybody say it is Chase's personality as the reason he is popular. I've heard many times that it is because of his dad though. Dollar Bill did have a personality that people liked. He was outgoing which is the opposite of Chase.

I don't think I have ever heard anybody say it is Chase's personality as the reason he is popular. I've heard many times that it is because of his dad though. Dollar Bill did have a personality that people liked. He was outgoing which is the opposite of Chase.
That's my point. Everyone wonders why he's the MPD despite being so bland. He's popular for other reasons that I've mentioned before. The outgoing funny guys don't win the award because despite what people say, personality doesn't matter as much as they want to make people believe it does.

That's my point. Everyone wonders why he's the MPD despite being so bland. He's popular for other reasons that I've mentioned before. The outgoing funny guys don't win the award because despite what people say, personality doesn't matter as much as they want to make people believe it does.
Oh it would if Chase didn't have a famous well liked Daddy.

Wasnt it just a best fan club award prior to Mr Hendrick (aka the Felon) buying off the delegates that actually make the votes that get counted.
I mean MPD it's been obvious for the last 30 years who's gonna win the award on race day.

Larson has definitely taken over the number 1 spot at HMS and is the leader of the pack. Mr. H definitely has a lot of faith in Larson to purchase and sponsor an Indy car and put Larson in it. IMO.

Larson has definitely taken over the number 1 spot at HMS and is the leader of the pack. Mr. H definitely has a lot of faith in Larson to purchase and sponsor an Indy car and put Larson in it. IMO.
I'm a big fan of Larson, nothing wrong with Elliott either. I like Larson more because he races a lot and I mean aaa lot. lol.

I'm a big fan of Larson, nothing wrong with Elliott either. I like Larson more because he races a lot and I mean aaa lot. lol.
This is to take nothing away from Elliott or Byron because they are both very good racers and great guys and they both give 100% when they are in a race car. But as far as having your heart 100% into racing I would have to say Larson and Bowman would be listed more in that category. They both love racing enough that they both invested their money in dirt track teams, and both spend about every weekend at a racetrack somewhere as an owner or a driver. Larson even owns part of a racing series. Now obviously Bowman had to back off of driving dirt cars due to his accident. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't be in one every weekend if he wasn't committed to HMS.

I've never understood why fans care about this award. I mean whats significant about it?
It’s basically been three drivers that have always the last four decades (Bill Elliott, Dale Jr, and Chase Elliott), with the exception of Dale Sr. winning it posthumously in 2001 and DW winning it a couple times when he drove for HMS. Its the most anticlimactic award in the sport.

This is to take nothing away from Elliott or Byron because they are both very good racers and great guys and they both give 100% when they are in a race car. But as far as having your heart 100% into racing I would have to say Larson and Bowman would be listed more in that category. They both love racing enough that they both invested their money in dirt track teams, and both spend about every weekend at a racetrack somewhere as an owner or a driver. Larson even owns part of a racing series. Now obviously Bowman had to back off of driving dirt cars due to his accident. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't be in one every weekend if he wasn't committed to HMS.
Chase raced at Hickory last night 🤷🏻‍♂️

Larson is better with the fans than Elliott from what I have seen. It's not like Elliott is standoffish, he's just not a people person. Larson is quiet, but he also understands the fans want to see him and he obliges them. I'm not saying that as a Larson fan. I've had a chance to see most of these drivers at Bristol and at the local tracks. Larson will stand and sign for the fans and pose for pictures an hour before he races at a dirt track, then does the same thing after the race. Elliott doesn't do that. It's not a knock on him. It's just the way he is. You'd think the MPD would be like a Bowyer and always yucking it up with the fans. That's not his style.

It’s basically been three drivers that have always the last four decades (Bill Elliott, Dale Jr, and Chase Elliott), with the exception of Dale Sr. winning it posthumously in 2001 and DW winning it a couple times when he drove for HMS. Its the most anticlimactic award in the sport.
*have always WON the last four decades. Left that word out.

Back
Top Bottom