Can we have good NASCAR racing and have the cars look more stock?

Both the GT350/500 and the Camaro ZL1 come out of the factory with wings.

Fine with me.

An oval sportscar series is not ideal..

Transam cars with a spoiler would be neat but yeah. It doesn't need to look like IMSA.

The cars today are a lot more stock looking than the ones from the 90’s and 00’s. Most of the 00’s cars were hideous IMO, be it the anteaters from the first part of the decade or the COT bricks from the last part of the decade. No need for these cars to look more stock than they currently do.

What part of the 90's were they not more stock appearing?

I like badass race cars. I'll never understand why people want the starting grid to look like a Kroger parking lot. That makes zero sense to me.

Because that is what THIS PARTICULAR type of racing is supposed to be. There are plenty of series where that is NOT the case.

iu

Those are supposed to be this. Personally I could give a hoot. I believe race cars are race cars. If some want to make them look like show room cars, great have at it. But for some that have bad memories, almost 30 years ago they didn't look very show room.
iu

iu

Those are supposed to be this. Personally I could give a hoot. I believe race cars are race cars. If some want to make them look like show room cars, great have at it. But for some that have bad memories, almost 30 years ago they didn't look very show room.
iu

Not wanting to get into a deep discussion on this, but personally there wasn't one time up until say 2002 or 3 where I couldn't tell what manufacturer a car was in nothing but primer. I don't think I'm the exception.

I will also add that while those cars certainly could look MORE stock, I believe the hood, roof and rear decklid were all stock pieces and I believe the windshield was of stock dimensions. Each car also had its own set of templates and there were distinct differences in the cars. To me, there were three events that sent us down the road to hell as far as what the cars looked like. The first is what had to be done to make the 1986 Buicks and Oldsmobiles work with the Monte Carlo SSs and Thunderbirds. The second was 1993 when the Pontiac Grand Prix got a nose that bore no resemblance to the street car, and the final event was what was done to make the Taurus legal. After that, it seems ANYTHING goes. Regarding the two T-birds shown above, go back and look at AK's Underbird of 1992. The car is similar, but MUCH more stock looking.

He said teams are spending 20 thousand on shocks and when he raced they all ran 20 dollar a piece monro matic shocks
Other than aero...this is one the biggest cost drivers. Get rid of the adjustable shocks and no more bump stops...

What part of the 90's were they not more stock appearing?
The 90’s cars were more stock looking than the 00’s cars for sure, but I think the Gen-6 car is more stock looking than either. That goes just for Cup cars by the way, the current Xfinity cars are a mess.

iu

iu
Interestingly....the stock T-Bird had a lower drag coefficient....

Back
Top Bottom