Cannot Believe It's Tony Stewart's Last Race

One of the best drivers to ever put on a helmet.

Of the past two decades Tony is easily one of the greatest ever to put on a helmet. Just a shame how his career dwindled just like AJ Foyt's tbh.

He was out AJ Foyt of the modern era, just as hard nosed as they came. Gonna miss Smoke terriorzing the field.lol

I wonder if he will ever be back to fill in if to needed. With drivers like Gordon and Martin who seem to retire but come back it may be that the Last Hoorah has lost its zeal. Would like to see them pay a little more tribute to those who have added so much to the sport as drivers like Tony Stewart have.

I wonder if he will ever be back to fill in if to needed. With drivers like Gordon and Martin who seem to retire but come back it may be that the Last Hoorah has lost its zeal. Would like to see them pay a little more tribute to those who have added so much to the sport as drivers like Tony Stewart have.
I believe I have heard him say he will be in a car at Daytona, Just not the 14.

I've heard Tony say that he'd drive for an injured driver like Jeff did, but nothing else. Would love to see him run Daytona, but SHR can't run 5 cars, and Tony rode at the back at Talladega.

Many people knock Tony but he brings color to a sport which has become a corporate gray suit in many respects. The young drivers sound like scripted puppets: after they rattle off their sponsors they recite their lines. Not to knock Jimmy Johnson but he is today's corporate sponsor ideal. Tony is the antihero.

And I still have not seen him whup Joey Logano's ass.

Erik Jones seems like a good personality for NASCAR. Chase will win popularity when Dale retires. Blaney admittedly is a pretty awkward driver with the media I think. Cole Custer is a hard nosed racer if he can make it to Cup.

Been a fan of his since his Thursday Night Thunder days. Hard to believe this will be his last Cup race. But for me, his Cup career ended when he shattered his leg in the sprint car accident.

Gordon and Martin were completely different. Martin came back on his own almost immediately. If it hadn't been for Jr.'s problems, or if Jr. had stepped out during Fox's coverage and Jeff was still in the booth, Jeff would have never stepped back into a Cup car.

Also, Tony's still going to be driving dirt cars. I won't be surprised if Gordon shows up for the Rolex one day.

Tony is one of the first great drivers for whom I have seen his entire career. I've probably watched 47 of his 49 wins live, in person or on tv. Makes me feel old.

Don't feel old, feel lucky and privileged 29-4. There are certain iconic figures we were very fortunate to have in sport. People like Olgaq Korbut, Torvill and Dean, Michael Phelps and the like.

"Always a Racer" on the entry list so it's a special scheme. Charter system does not allow a fifth car. Article is from questionable source from April. I highly doubt it.

I've probably watched 47 of his 49 wins live, in person or on tv. Makes me feel old.

I've seen ever win in Cup and X and I think all but one in trucks when he drove Andy Petree's truck to a win. Not sure if that makes me old or pathetic for watching that many races.

<----I'm gonna miss seeing this guy on the track. He's a great example of having one leg in the past (drive every damn thing) and one in the present (ie his recent Championship). I wonder how much we'll see of him in the coming years. Will he quietly run every small town short track he likes or will we see him on top of a pit box on Sundays? He will definitely be missed, especially when someone needs to sound off about something.

I have never been Tony's biggest fan but for sure have enjoyed his participation in all motorsports immensely...... especially the Cup series. He added so much to the sport..... not just Cup but open wheel that he deserves to be recognized as one of the greatest contributors to the Sport in general...... He's had his moments both good and bad but without him...... we would have missed a whole lot..... without him..... more than likely both Eldora and Haas racing would be defunct...... Eldora would look like North Wilkeboro and Haas would be a memory......

Thank you Tony for doing the best you could and hanging there like a hair in a biscuit through all your trials and tribulations as of late.... Lord knows you've been tested a lot ..........

SHR is starting a new Xfinity team. We may see Tony do a shake down of those cars along with Harvick.

It's likely no coincidence that three of the half dozen hot heads left in Nascar (Harvick , Bowyer , and Kurt ) all work for Tony .
Very true, but may also be because they are all arguably some of the best in the sport (bowyer being the exception ;))

I thought it was a balanced tribute to Stewart. I was amused with the author's comment:
"I could write a farewell to Stewart piece filled with nothing but praise of his generosity, and it would be 100 percent true. Or I could write a farewell to Stewart piece filled with nothing but vitriol about what a jerk he has been, and it would be 100 percent true."

Going to miss him. He hasn't been the same since the accidents where he got hurt and the incident with that kid. Those have taken a physical toll and I'm sure a mental toll on him and he's basically been done since all those things happened. It was great seeing him pull of that win this year and seeing the Tony of old come back for 1 race.

His victory at Dover a few years back thst I got to see in person was one of my favorite memories, I completely lost my voice yelling that day.

Very true, but may also be because they are all arguably some of the best in the sport (bowyer being the exception ;))

I don't think Bowyer is the exception and I doubt that Tony would have hand picked him to drive his car if he didn't like his driving skill.

Valid point! Probably didn't hurt that he had sponsorship - see DP.
I doubt that was a big consideration . Clint is a good ol boy and a born racer . People don't like him because of the racing orders at MWR , and the tussle with Jeff Gordon .

He set out to be like his childhood hero, AJ Foyt...he accomplished that, in a world that was a lot more competitive, and expected a lot more of a polished driver.

No driver has ever been bigger than NASCAR, but as far as on-track performance and off-track personality...he's the continuation of Dale Sr, imo. Bull on the track, grizzly bear in his opinions, teddy bear in the heart.

No one will ever re-create the career Tony has. It can't happen in today's world.

Back
Top Bottom