Car dealers

Whizzer

Gig'em
Here's one I've never encountered before. I've been looking for a 2013 - 2014 model year used pickup truck.
I found one advertised online at a dealership 90 minutes from my home and went to investigate.

After the usual tire kicking and test drive, sat down with the salesman and tried to establish a firm price before continuing but he would not give me a firm price, instead, avoiding an answer to the question by asking about my trade and financing. The price had been posted online so I started there and tried to negotiate but the salesman continued shifting the negotiations around trade and financing.
I finally got exasperated and said, "look, the price is online. I am not trading anything and will buy the vehicle outright."

The reply? It went something like this; "with no trade and not using our financing, we automatically add another $1000.00 to the listed price." I was floored but just for the hell-of-it, I asked what the other added expenses were outside of title and tags. The dealer fees were an additional $599.00 documentation fee PLUS, an additional $299.00 for dealer prep of a used vehicle. That put the price at nearly $1800.00, including the $1000.00 for no financing or trade, above advertised listed price.

I thanked the salesman for his time and left. When I got home, I re-read the ad for the truck and as sure as God made little green apples, there at the very bottom of the ad, in fine print, was the wording, "... an additional fee of $1000.00 if dealer financing not used." The fine print continued with; "price does not reflect dealer documentation fee, prep fee, tax, tags and tile fees." All neatly wrapped around phrasing to disguise nearly $800.00 for dealer doc and prep fees.

Has anyone else run into this situation?

Money grab by the dealer to get a trade and to finance. I have not run into that here in Canada...I imagine dealers want to try and suck money from people using bank financing or lottery winnings to buy vehicles. this is a good way to do it. If you have the money outright, take their financing and then pay it off in a month as long as they dont penalize you for that.

I hate the extra fees that dealers add to price after the listed price. Isn't the prep part of the cost of the car? Are they going to start to adding extra fees fees for tires or a battery?

Guy on another forum used to manage a Saturn dealership. He didn't want you to pay cash or bring your own financing as he ''lost'' money. He wanted buyers to finance through him as the banks they dealt with kick back a substantial portion of the loans first year interest to the dealer. Same as they do when a mortgage broker generates a loan to purchase a home.
When I bought my truck I haggled over the price, the documentation fee and also the prep. Got tired of haggling so I wrote a check and passed it over. Told him I'd be back at 4 pm to get my check or my truck. Got up and left.
Three hours later I got the call, ''your truck is ready''.
According to the salesman he'll lose his house, his wife will leave him, his kids will hate him and he'll be forced to live under a overpass. Sucks to be him huh?

Dealers make the biggest share of their money from the financing and extended warranties....... All the ''0'' percent financing on new vehicles is just a smoke and mirror deal also..... (Don't get me wrong... I would never ever buy a new vehicle.... I am not into smelling that new car thing enough to lose several thousand dollars just as soon as I sign the papers).... I work at a farm equipment dealership ....... I've worked with and dealt with salesmen all my life...... I always say....... ''If he's been a salesman for very long..... you can put 'em all in a brown paper bag..... shake it up and pour 'em out..... and they are all identical''........

I'd go to another dealership, he's obviously trying to nickel and dime you.

I have run into the financing thing. If you used their financing (Ford Credit), you got another 1000.00 off the price, The finance manager for some reason told me I only had to have it financed through them for 30 days. After that I could do what I wanted. I did go to US Bank after that for a 1/2 percent less. Didn't cost me anything to switch banks, Finance guy doesn't work there any more...

Sorta like the 19.99 oil change that ends up costing 35 bucks

I always thought they gave you a deal if you paid cash.

Shows you what I know.
Interest = $$$. An outright purchase saves the consumer money, which is bad news for the dealer.

Here's one I've never encountered before. I've been looking for a 2013 - 2014 model year used pickup truck.
I found one advertised online at a dealership 90 minutes from my home and went to investigate.

After the usual tire kicking and test drive, sat down with the salesman and tried to establish a firm price before continuing but he would not give me a firm price, instead, avoiding an answer to the question by asking about my trade and financing. The price had been posted online so I started there and tried to negotiate but the salesman continued shifting the negotiations around trade and financing.
I finally got exasperated and said, "look, the price is online. I am not trading anything and will buy the vehicle outright."

The reply? It went something like this; "with no trade and not using our financing, we automatically add another $1000.00 to the listed price." I was floored but just for the hell-of-it, I asked what the other added expenses were outside of title and tags. The dealer fees were an additional $599.00 documentation fee PLUS, an additional $299.00 for dealer prep of a used vehicle. That put the price at nearly $1800.00, including the $1000.00 for no financing or trade, above advertised listed price.

I thanked the salesman for his time and left. When I got home, I re-read the ad for the truck and as sure as God made little green apples, there at the very bottom of the ad, in fine print, was the wording, "... an additional fee of $1000.00 if dealer financing not used." The fine print continued with; "price does not reflect dealer documentation fee, prep fee, tax, tags and tile fees." All neatly wrapped around phrasing to disguise nearly $800.00 for dealer doc and prep fees.

Yeah, I'm sure they'll cover the doc fee if it means you signing on for 60 mos 3.9%... but who wants that?

Nobody wants your stinkin money!!

Maybe I will change strategies sign for the loan, then flip the loan after the deal is completed. Even if it only saved me a small amount, or only broke even, sticking one up a aharks §¢¥€>] § would be worth the endeavor.

I already hate a few over the idiotic radio commercials they do, one bad enough to never buy anything he has.

Maybe I will change strategies sign for the loan, then flip the loan after the deal is completed. Even if it only saved me a small amount, or only broke even, sticking one up a aharks §¢¥€>] § would be worth the endeavor.

I already hate a few over the idiotic radio commercials they do, one bad enough to never buy anything he has.
Would at least help your credit score :lol2:

Paying cash gives you the upper hand. When you reach the impasse and salesman says that's the best they can do, then you stand up, say thanks and when heading for the door their tune changes,,,fast.

If I am looking at a vehicle from a new or used car dealership I figure out what I am willing to pay for the vehicle and give the salesperson the number with the caveat being that my price includes every other fee or charge except for sales tax. Usually I go in with a number on the low side but not ridiculously low and we normally end up settling for a few hundred bucks higher than my first offer.

Yup, when i bought my CPO hyundai, I sat with the salesman for a good 3 hours haggling on price. My credit union wouldn't approve me for a used car loan, but the dealership did....from my credit union. They also threw the offer of the "extended" factory warranty (100K miles) for some ridiculous cost (like $1200) in trade for 0.75% off the loan rate. The dealer manager even came out asking what was taking so long, till he saw me hammering down on the calculator with a notepad in front of me and the salesman going through all the documentation he had (I made him pull maintenance records and the CPO inspection sheet in addition to the carfax). One of the records showed the engine computer replaced at 35,000 which sold me on the extended warranty (BTDT with my truck), the warranty was only $200ish more than the non-warranty interest accruement at the 3 year point.

Long story short, it took an end total of 4.5 hours, but I got a CPO 2 year old car for window price, even with the extra warranty, TTL, and other BS fees. The manager even admitted that more than likely he was losing money on the sale because I came in prepared for a numerical fight. Part of that "supposedly" was the salesman cutting his commission in half since it was my first time buying a car, "just to be nice". I'm not sure if thats true or not.

Now don't you feel guilty that with your deal he lost his job, then his house, his wife and kids left him and he's living under a overpass now?
btw, I don't.:)

I am scanning for deals within 500 miles, of course it will be better if I find something close. But if worthwhile I would drive all day to save $1500 or more.My wife thinks I am crazy to go that far.

The only downside imo is any return issues, and them knowing I have already invested a lot into getting that truck by making the drive.

First thing I did when I got my truck home was scape the vinyl dealer sticker off the tailgate. I had to go back a few weeks later as a relay for the a/c fan went bad. They replaced it I waited and when I walked out <BAM> I see a new sticker on the tailgate.
Just so happened one of the owners kids was nearby so I went over and asked how was this deal going to work.
He said ''Huh?''
""Do I get paid a flat monthly fee for having your advertisement on my truck or is it per mile?"
Again ''Huh?''
Didn't take long to explain to him that this ''homie don't play that''.

Not exactly the same, but a few years ago we were in the market for Chevy Equinox (big mistake), I found what I wanted at a local dealership online (with price). I researched my Nissan Titan that I was trading in, it was 6 years old and had right at 100k miles on it, KBB estimated it was worth about 11k. We get to the dealership, find the car, we do the test drive and everything. We sit down to talk pricing, and the price is about $4k more that what it said online. When I noted that, he said…”Oh, our pricing online is only if you can qualify for every rebate that’s available for that car”. Which, of course we didn’t.

He also offered 7k for my truck and claimed it was too old for them to really do anything with. This was a top of the line Titan with 4 doors, leather seats, tv, sunroof, sliding glass, bedliner and bedcover.

There was no negotiation on the price at all, the only way the dealer budged was to try and give me an additional $500 for my truck, but increase the price of the new car by the same amount. I guess he thought id fall for that. We walked out, went down the road to a GMC dealership and got the car we wanted for the right price and got 11k out of my truck.

I’ve never seen anything like that before

Anyone that gets screwed when buying a NEW car deserves it. NEW cars are absolutely the worst investment EVER. Find a used one with 30K miles. Pay 1/2 of new. Drive 5 years then sell outright, rinse & repeat. You should have known. Don't make me come back there. Don't take any wooden nickles. Dry between your toes...:confused::D:D:D:D:D:bounce:

Anyone that gets screwed when buying a NEW car deserves it. NEW cars are absolutely the worst investment EVER. Find a used one with 30K miles. Pay 1/2 of new. Drive 5 years then sell outright, rinse & repeat. You should have known. Don't make me come back there. Don't take any wooden nickles. Dry between your toes...:confused::D:D:D:D:D:bounce:
except with current interest rates and economy state, getting upside down is much too easy.

except with current interest rates and economy state, getting upside down is much too easy.
Buying a new car equates right up there with the myth that a home mortgage loan is a good idea because you can deduct the interest from your taxes..... why would you give the bank a dollar just so can save 20 cents on your taxes????????

Dumb...... Dumb...... Dumb.........

I think we are in agreement? NO. NEW. CARS/TRUCKS! Watch fellow church goers. You know...the ones that trade every 1.5 years. Buy. Their. Car. Drive it 3 years and buy another from them. Always have fairly low mile fairly new cars that way. Of course i drive a 1999 i bought newish...was 3 months old. THAT wasn't smart. Could have bought new at 1.9 % instead of used at 10%. I be smarter now...NO NEW CARS!

Brother is a sales manager at a local Toyota dealer,they make very little off new car sales.The big money are extended warranties and financing of cars.The worst thing you can tell them is how much a month you can afford.Make sure there's not a clause in the financial agreement where if you pay it off early or refinance it,there's a penalty for doing so.

Not exactly the same, but a few years ago we were in the market for Chevy Equinox (big mistake), I found what I wanted at a local dealership online (with price). I researched my Nissan Titan that I was trading in, it was 6 years old and had right at 100k miles on it, KBB estimated it was worth about 11k. We get to the dealership, find the car, we do the test drive and everything. We sit down to talk pricing, and the price is about $4k more that what it said online. When I noted that, he said…”Oh, our pricing online is only if you can qualify for every rebate that’s available for that car”. Which, of course we didn’t.

He also offered 7k for my truck and claimed it was too old for them to really do anything with. This was a top of the line Titan with 4 doors, leather seats, tv, sunroof, sliding glass, bedliner and bedcover.

There was no negotiation on the price at all, the only way the dealer budged was to try and give me an additional $500 for my truck, but increase the price of the new car by the same amount. I guess he thought id fall for that. We walked out, went down the road to a GMC dealership and got the car we wanted for the right price and got 11k out of my truck.

I’ve never seen anything like that before
I dont get this , every freaking dealer thinks they are the only game in town, I know that lot of people give in and let them rape them without lube, but all it takes is just getting up and walking away and finding a dealer that will work with you. To many people let the emotions of getting that new car take over .

God I hate dealerships.

Shows you what I know.
Yeah, at one point, cash was king, but now, not so much, paying cash wont get you the best deal like it use to in most cases, for the reasons already stated.

Just bought a car last week and found a great way to get to the lowest price they'll let go for quickly. Of course, it still comes down whether they want to move the car, but in my case it had been on their lot for over a month.

I came in with my son who is 9 months old and basically laid the ground work for buying it. After the test drive, I said I'll buy the car if we can get to numbers before my son starts to cry because of nap time. Wam-bam, they had me in and out of there faster than I've ever bought a car. I didn't even counter offer because it was basically right at what I was going to start at. The financing thing was like a formality and I was out of that office in less than 5 minutes. They didn't even try to sell me on any of the nonsense.

Yeah, at one point, cash was king, but now, not so much, paying cash wont get you the best deal like it use to in most cases, for the reasons already stated.
Yup.

Cash = High Price = Dealer makes pennies
Credit = Low Price + interest & fees = Dealer makes $$$$$$$

I work at a farm equipment dealership ....... I've worked with and dealt with salesmen all my life...... I always say....... ''If he's been a salesman for very long..... you can put 'em all in a brown paper bag..... shake it up and pour 'em out..... and they are all identical''........

I have sold farm equipment, managed sales and been all over the world over the last 43 years and I have heard this from just about every Ag equipment parts and or service guy in the business. It is a shame to because there are some salesmen that are very good at what they do and have a loyal following of good customers that they take care of. I am sorry you have not experienced good sales people in your career and am quite surprised the dealerships you are associated with have made it in business with all of the salesmen being the same, because it has been my experience that Ag Equipment salesmen definitely are not all the same. There are good ones and order takers, I go for the good ones that know how to sell and close a deal where all parties are happy.

Cash still is king. No dealer is going to walk away from a cash deal if it's reasonable.

I think it depends on the situation. I bought a new Nissan Frontier last year, got $4,000 off and 0% financing on it. With the rebate, the 2-3 year old models they had on the lot with 20-40k on the odometer were almost as much as the new one I purchased, not to mention I would have had to pay interest on one of those and not gotten as good of a warranty. Plus, the residual value on mine will be better a few years down the road since it's a few years newer and will have fewer miles on it vs. if I had purchased used.

I think it depends on the situation. I bought a new Nissan Frontier last year, got $4,000 off and 0% financing on it. With the rebate, the 2-3 year old models they had on the lot with 20-40k on the odometer were almost as much as the new one I purchased, not to mention I would have had to pay interest on one of those and not gotten as good of a warranty. Plus, the residual value on mine will be better a few years down the road since it's a few years newer and will have fewer miles on it vs. if I had purchased used.
You did very well.

As a first time buyer, I did a lot of research on my car before I purchased it.
- There were NO dealer fees with the dealership
- USAA gave me a max of $15,000 dollars to spend with a solid %6.75 interest rate on the car, considering my age and my credit rating of 700, it was a no brainer. If you are in the military or retired use USAA or Navy Federal to your advantage!
- Didn't need to place any money down, I still placed $1000 dollars down
- The dealer specialized in rebuilt cars, but the Dart was the ONLY car with a new title
- Decided on a 4-door, my insurance is only $160 a month and the payment is only $160 a month. Thats $320 a month... For a first time buyer that is CHEAP.
- Simple, all the creature comforts I need
- Only 18K on the odometer at $9895 dollars

I did okay, but I just did not have the cash up front at that time. I needed another car though that is reliable for everyday use, so I had to pull the trigger and finance. "Cash is still king" though. I've been happy with the purchase, I just have my doubts of t'charged engines. Replacing the turbo or wastegate solienoid is pretty simple, I mean if I get that nasty P0299 code. I had fun buying the car, but the process is damn stressful.

I like smaller dealers as well, it seems like the pressure is not as substantial as it would be with a larger dealership, at least IMHO. The owner helped me and he was such a nice guy, he said if I ever needed anything, to give him a call. Thats the type of service I like.

http://www.turbotoysautosales.com/2013-Dodge-Dart/Used-Car/Tampa-FL/6545249/SoldDetails.aspx

Last edited:
My loan payment alone is $300/month, but my car was also twice that of yours. I've heard nothing good of the Dart, so maybe you'll be good to make it to 50K or so then sell it and get something better.

Depending on how my inheritance goes, I might keep the Hyundai or I might sell it and get that $300/mo back.

You know you don't even have to insure your car down here if you don't want. Not even third party. Pretty unbelievable in 2017

My loan payment alone is $300/month, but my car was also twice that of yours. I've heard nothing good of the Dart, so maybe you'll be good to make it to 50K or so then sell it and get something better.

Depending on how my inheritance goes, I might keep the Hyundai or I might sell it and get that $300/mo back.

Its been pretty good, but I do have my doubts.

I know people that have had the car for well over 50K+ w/o any type of major issues. I message my cars well and I'm certain I will be fine down the road, I might actually have some videos/pictures posted of possible upgrades down the road. Its been a fun little car, so far at least.

Back
Top Bottom