CARS Tour (2023)

OK I picked Butterbean to win so I'm 1 for 1. Im going with Willie B in this one.

Is Ralph Shaheen ok? I haven't heard him in a long time and his voice is not what is was

If Byron didn’t bobble between 3 and 4 that could’ve been really interesting on the final lap. Good battle between he and Pollard in the ASA race.

Elliott's car seemed to hate that last set of tires. He was cooking before that final stage break.

Dominion Raceway is one of the best tracks and easily one of the most underrated venues in the country. Always thrilling racing anytime I've gone there.

It's also far and away the nicest facility I've ever been to in short track racing. The real "America's Nicest Short Track."

A series owner’s car …

Post-race, Childers was talking about how much fun it is to work with rules that allow him to be more ‘creative.”
Not a good look.

A series owner’s car …

Post-race, Childers was talking about how much fun it is to work with rules that allow him to be more ‘creative.”
Not a good look.
And the car was disqualified.

The irony is, CARS Tour is usually very relaxed with tech. Which I actually like. Anytime you write a new rule, you’re forcing racers to spend more money.

Good decision by the tour today. Glad to see integrity prevail.

And the car was disqualified.

The irony is, CARS Tour is usually very relaxed with tech. Which I actually like. Anytime you write a new rule, you’re forcing racers to spend more money.

It is a slippery slope once you deviate from a stated rule, and I will agree some common sense is a good thing.

If you want to be lenient I think it depends on intent. If Childers with a KHI car wants to test the limits with an over-sized sway bar I think they should suffer the consequences.

If Jom Bob with his rag tag crew wins with the only sway they had I would consider no dq but maybe confiscating the part and issuing only a awarning.

But that is a messy slippery slope.

Teams that follow the rules only have to spend their money once. If the sanctioning body fails to enforce rules then teams have to keep spending more and more money to keep up with the teams that break the rules.

Agree that new rules force teams to spend more money. That's why I prefer sanctioning bodies that put out a concise rulebook before the season starts, and then sticks to it (unless a major malfunction in found that needs attention). Enforcing existing rules during the season only makes cheaters spend more money.

I'm not against teams interpreting the rules, and bending them a little. I'm like Smokey Yunick, who would scrutinize and take advantage of rule wordings but who despised anybody who would purposely directly break a rule as it was written.

Agree that integrity must prevail.

Teams that follow the rules only have to spend their money once. If the sanctioning body fails to enforce rules then teams have to keep spending more and more money to keep up with the teams that break the rules.

Agree that new rules force teams to spend more money. That's why I prefer sanctioning bodies that put out a concise rulebook before the season starts, and then sticks to it (unless a major malfunction in found that needs attention). Enforcing existing rules during the season only makes cheaters spend more money.

I'm not against teams interpreting the rules, and bending them a little. I'm like Smokey Yunick, who would scrutinize and take advantage of rule wordings but who despised anybody who would purposely directly break a rule as it was written.

Agree that integrity must prevail.

Way too often, tracks will add a rule after something happens that they don't like.

Car comes out for the first time, is perfectly legal, wins by 5 seconds. Other drivers bitch about a part he had that gave him advantage. Following week, there is a new rule written.

This happens all the time.

Way too often, tracks will add a rule after something happens that they don't like.

Car comes out for the first time, is perfectly legal, wins by 5 seconds. Other drivers bitch about a part he had that gave him advantage. Following week, there is a new rule written.

This happens all the time.
Yep, and eventually it hurts the class and then the crowds and then sponsorships...

This killed what we used to call "Street Stocks" on the dirt tracks in my area. Track management caved into the opinions of the racers, who wanted more and more and more... the "Street Stocks" became "Super Street" and then "Limited Late Models"... the name "Limited Late Models" hung on after that, but the cars morphed into full Late Models, while the "Late Models" became "Super Late Models"... all of this within just a few years.

Hardly anybody could keep up with the costs. We gave up when our car that had started out as a street car had to compete against cars with full race tube chassis. The Super Late Model class started losing cars too, and very few could afford to move up into it.

Car counts and crowds thinned. Then noticed fewer sponsorship signs at the tracks, and that it was harder for teams to find sponsorship.

The three dirt tracks within an hour's drive from the Piedmont Triad all closed. Other factors contributed to them closing also, but allowing the inmates to run the asylum (racers dictating the rules) was a significant factor. At this point it would be difficult to rebuild to the level of competition that we enjoyed in the 1990s - early 2000s.

And why I ended up at Caraway supporting the CARS Tour, and why I am easily triggered when rules are taken lightly.

Yep, and eventually it hurts the class and then the crowds and then sponsorships...

This killed what we used to call "Street Stocks" on the dirt tracks in my area. Track management caved into the opinions of the racers, who wanted more and more and more... the "Street Stocks" became "Super Street" and then "Limited Late Models"... the name "Limited Late Models" hung on after that, but the cars morphed into full Late Models, while the "Late Models" became "Super Late Models"... all of this within just a few years.

Hardly anybody could keep up with the costs. We gave up when our car that had started out as a street car had to compete against cars with full race tube chassis. The Super Late Model class started losing cars too, and very few could afford to move up into it.

Car counts and crowds thinned. Then noticed fewer sponsorship signs at the tracks, and that it was harder for teams to find sponsorship.

The three dirt tracks within an hour's drive from the Piedmont Triad all closed. Other factors contributed to them closing also, but allowing the inmates to run the asylum (racers dictating the rules) was a significant factor. At this point it would be difficult to rebuild to the level of competition that we enjoyed in the 1990s - early 2000s.

And why I ended up at Caraway supporting the CARS Tour, and why I am easily triggered when rules are taken lightly.

I'm fine with tech being relaxed, so long as, when they find something, they enforce the rule.

Southern National and Pulaski County used to tear down the top-five every night. The running joke in the pits was that teams would cook breakfast before they left but it was no joke. There were nights I didn't get out of Pulaski County until 3:30am or later.

Some tech directors take themselves too seriously and like to disqualify people.

Looks like the sway bar was the right size but he ran the big spline end bar instead of the small.

I'm fine with tech being relaxed, so long as, when they find something, they enforce the rule.

Southern National and Pulaski County used to tear down the top-five every night. The running joke in the pits was that teams would cook breakfast before they left but it was no joke. There were nights I didn't get out of Pulaski County until 3:30am or later.

Some tech directors take themselves too seriously and like to disqualify people.
We never expected to get out of MBS until at least 2-3 am We basically got protested every weekend we won.

Tears were shed … lips quivered … family histories trotted out. DQ.

How embarrassing.

We never expected to get out of MBS until at least 2-3 am We basically got protested every weekend we won.

We have a few drivers that, anytime they don't win, they protest. But we have rules to limit that - can only protest the car directly in front of you, and whatever you're protesting, that same thing is subject to inspection on your car.

Most of the time, it's someone in ninth place wanting to protest the winner.

We have a few drivers that, anytime they don't win, they protest. But we have rules to limit that - can only protest the car directly in front of you, and whatever you're protesting, that same thing is subject to inspection on your car.

Most of the time, it's someone in ninth place wanting to protest the winner.
Dude we would have teams get the second place car to protest and give them the protest money. It was insane

Kvapil and Huffman disqualified at SoBo. MCarthy declared the winner. Bilstein Shocks takes the blame for miscommunication on the Piston being used in the shock. This was not a Cars Tour race but most of the competitors from that series were in this race at South Boston

Hickory Speedway looks like it did in the 70's lol.
Watching a BGN race there in the mid 80s was an incredibile thing. Some of the best racing I have ever seen.

The stands are so close to you it was insane.

Back
Top Bottom