Change Coming to Bristol Again?

AndyMarquisLive

I love short track racing (Taylor's Version)
Bristol Motor Speedway owner Bruton Smith is considering about $1 million worth of changes to return his Tennessee track to the way it was before a 2007 reconfiguration.

"We are going to take a very hard look at it this week," Smith told The Associated Press on Monday. "We have everything in our computers that shows us what the track used to be and what it is now, and we started working on that last night. I'll have an answer for you next week on if we'll alter the track."

But Smith insisted it was the rain, not fan apathy over the current style of racing at Bristol, that contributed to Sunday's poor crowd.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...6wCkzg?docId=1910b30f31304c85966386d20b558c99

I figured this was coming. But even if they do change it back attendance probably won't improve much.

I don't understand this. Fast cars were being held up by slow cars in the high line all day. Guys are afraid to bump anymore.

saw many empty seats
looked 70% to 80% full but maybe not

I think points racing is part of it. People are watching what Johnson and Stewart have done and know you only have to go for it in ten races. I mean, drivers were even content to settle in the Daytona 500.

BRISTOL, Tenn. – The emails and twitter responses started filtering in halfway through Saturday’s NASCAR Nationwide race at Bristol Motor Speedway.
And the messages just kept coming all day Sunday.
Fair or not, some fans continue to be exasperated by the lack of action on a half-mile concrete stage once notorious for non-stop heavy-metal action.
That frustration was reflected in the lackluster attendance numbers for the weekend.
Crowds in excess of 100,000 regularly attended the Nationwide events at BMS. According to the official NASCAR estimate, just 55,000 turned out for Saturday’s race on a sunny day.
The estimate for Sunday’s Food City 500 Sprint Cup event was 102,000. That’s 18,000 less than last year’s official estimate.
Bruton, we have a problem.
Sellout crowds were once common at the 160,000-seat track, but there have been four straight Sprint Cup races at BMS without a sellout.
The wide-ranging reputation of Bristol was built on chaotic moments that serve as fodder for endless campfire arguments and factory floor discussions.
The wider and smoother version is perfect for drivers, who can select between multiple lanes to make passes without having to worry about getting mired in a wreck.
Of course, sports car racing is popular among drivers for the same reason. Fans rarely turn out for sports car events, which often involve celebrity drivers or wealthy playboys.
The radio and television for BMS events continually promote scenes akin to a high-speed demolition derby.
Increasingly, the statistics are revealing a different story. Saturday’s Nationwide race featured just five lead changes and four caution periods. The tally for Sunday included 13 lead changes among seven drivers along with five cautions.
Judging from the sea of empty seats this weekend, it’s clear that some fans do indeed enjoy watching wrecks instead of clean and creative racing.
For the motorsports purist, the Bristol show remains a treat. Thanks to the progressive banking that was introduced in 2007, drivers now work to set up textbook passes on the inside, middle and outside grooves.
But let’s remember, Bristol once represented the ultimate NASCAR survival test of man and machine.
There are still doses of chaos here, but it’s controlled now.
It’s all a matter of taste.
More than ever, BMS needs a spectacular finish or fist-flying feud that can generate captivating sound bites and highlights.
The harshest critics of the new Bristol are even demanding that track owner Bruton Smith tear up the track and somehow spice up the action.
The advancement in tires and car design are also factors in this complex debate, but it’s clear that all is not well with a Bristol fan base that once was among the most passionate and devoted in all of professional sports.
Even racer Aric Almirola admitted that there was a problem after his 19th place finish.
“There weren’t very many cautions and it probably wasn’t very exciting for the fans,” Almirola said. “It wasn’t very exciting for us either.”

The article fails to point out that economic conditions are as much or more to blame than just the racing. NASCAR fans generally aren't that wealthy. Scraping together $1000-1500 for a race weekend isn't easy for most.

The problem is people need jobs. I would be there in a sec. if I could afford it. when did good racing become a crash fest....If that's what you want go to the fair and watch a smash and derby

I can't speak for everyone...but for myself, as I have said time and time again, Bristol tickets are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced! It is a day trip to go to Birstol or Martinsville, either one, from where I live, Martinsville is a bit longer trip, but the racing is better and the tickets are less than HALF the cost of Birstol! If tix at Bristol weren't so expensive, I would have season tickets for every race...

The problem is people need jobs. I would be there in a sec. if I could afford it. when did good racing become a crash fest....If that's what you want go to the fair and watch a smash and derby

Whenever I hear "it's the economy!" I look at the other pro sports in the USA.
Football - doing great
Baseball - doing great
NBA - steady
NHL - improving
Golf - doing worse
NASCAR - doing worse.

Golf and NASCAR have something in common. Both need Tiger Woods

Maybe NASCAR has just found the limits.

-38 races
-Massive seating capacities that really test how many want spend the time and money.
-Constant media exposure, everything is big. They would do shows and stories on driver hiccups and farts, if they could.

The BOOM BOOM maxed out carnival rivals the race. So folks get burned out,

There is a solution

1-Spring night race
2 -Trophy queens and heels.

They have the computer data from the old layout? Its like they knew it wouldn't work and saved it.

Whenever I hear "it's the economy!" I look at the other pro sports in the USA.
Football - doing great
Baseball - doing great
NBA - steady
NHL - improving
Golf - doing worse
NASCAR - doing worse.

Golf and NASCAR have something in common. Both need Tiger Woods

Football - doing great Not all teams are doing great. Also, the stadiums are in cities where the vast majority of fans live which saves them money on hotels, gas, camping etc. They also have a larger, wealthier fan base.
Baseball - doing great Not all teams are doing great. Also, the stadiums are in cities where the vast majority of fans live. Bad comparison.
NBA - steady Not all teams are doing great. Also, the 15-20k seat arenas are in cities where the vast majority of fans live. Bad comparison.
NHL - improving Not all teams are improvingt. Also, the 15-20k seats arenas are in cities where the vast majority of fans live. Bad comparison.
Golf - doing worse Tiger's resurgence along with the presence of Rory McElroy will help this.
NASCAR - doing worse But still drawing very large crowds. 100k people driving to the mountains of Tennessee on a day that began with rain is fairly impressive.

I can't speak for everyone...but for myself, as I have said time and time again, Bristol tickets are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced! It is a day trip to go to Birstol or Martinsville, either one, from where I live, Martinsville is a bit longer trip, but the racing is better and the tickets are less than HALF the cost of Birstol! If tix at Bristol weren't so expensive, I would have season tickets for every race...

Michigan slashed ticket prices and the crowds there are usually pretty good. They allow kids for free for Truck and NW races and half off for the Cup race. The family section is $30 for an adult and kids are free. You'll notice that there are sections in turns 3 and 4 that are always completely sold out because of this.

My pet peeve is the hotel prices. They jack them up and require a stay of 3, sometimes 4 nights on top of it.
And let's not forget airline tickets and the hassle of flying.

Football - doing great Not all teams are doing great. Also, the stadiums are in cities where the vast majority of fans live which saves them money on hotels, gas, camping etc. They also have a larger, wealthier fan base.
Baseball - doing great Not all teams are doing great. Also, the stadiums are in cities where the vast majority of fans live. Bad comparison.
NBA - steady Not all teams are doing great. Also, the 15-20k seat arenas are in cities where the vast majority of fans live. Bad comparison.
NHL - improving Not all teams are improvingt. Also, the 15-20k seats arenas are in cities where the vast majority of fans live. Bad comparison.
Golf - doing worse Tiger's resurgence along with the presence of Rory McElroy will help this.
NASCAR - doing worse But still drawing very large crowds. 100k people driving to the mountains of Tennessee on a day that began with rain is fairly impressive.

Amen about the pro stadiums being where most of the team fans live. It's less costly to stay home and drive to the game.

What Football, baseball, NBA or NHL game had 100,000 fans in the seats last week?

TV numbers are what's really important for nascars future.

Many ball stadiums are subsidized by their local governments, not trying to get political just noting a different business model or dynamics.

Many ball stadiums are subsidized by their local governments, not trying to get political just noting a different business model or dynamics.

Most ball stadiums operate like this: The government subsidizes the stadium, the taxpayers eat the loss and suffer the tax increases and the owner profits.

The NFL would not be profitable if the owners built and maintained the stadiums.

So true. Cities have the money to pay the way. Rural areas where tracks are usually built don't.
I think that NASCAR, with 38 races, coming close to the attendance of Football with their 300 plus games was an abberation that wont be repeated until nascar has a west and east division and twice the races.

TV numbers are what's really important for nascars future.

Absolutely correct...and all else being more or less equal, TV ratings should INCREASE during an economic downturn.At least marginally.

So has anyone seen the TV ratings for the race yet? It may be too soon, I have no idea how that works.

Love or hate Danica, but Miss Thang is a good Thang for NASCAR exposure/business.

So I advocate Danica exposing a lot. Has nothing to do with being a Sicko, or craving, or dreaming, or other male thoughts.....(dreaming)

I just want what is best for Brian, Helton, Bruten, and oh yes the shareholders. After all it is business first, and only then the servant or actual racing product itself.

Football games are not cheaper than NASCAR races... not even close. It costs more for ONE really really bad Ravens ticket than it does for my total cost for Richmond. It actually amazes me how many people can afford to take their families to these games while complaining about their suffering.

If Bruton Smith wants to fix something about Bristol he needs to start with Hotels. I had 3 tickets for Bristol and did'nt go....why you ask? Last year my girlfreind and I Had to pay over $600 to stay 2 nights in a hotel two hours away from the track, thats More than we paid for our tickets which where for Nationwide and Cup. This year we had called the same hotel for reservations and was told this year we Had to pay for 3 nights minimum. We discused for a moment and said bull****.....our seats sat empty this weekend and will not be renewed for next year.

My 8yr old son and I are going to Richmond next month for the NW and Cup races. Here is a cost estimate:

Tickets - $250
Hotel (2 nights Embassy Suites) - $350
Gas - $225
Food - $200
Merch- $100

Total - $1125

I am not wealthy by any means so this trip is a big deal. But it's sad that it costs this much to have decent seats and stay in a decent hotel to attend a race weekend. Obviously there are ways to cut costs but this is how I do out of town races.

Football games are not cheaper than NASCAR races... not even close. It costs more for ONE really really bad Ravens ticket than it does for my total cost for Richmond. It actually amazes me how many people can afford to take their families to these games while complaining about their suffering.

Ticket prices aren't the issue here.

My 8yr old son and I are going to Richmond next month for the NW and Cup races. Here is a cost estimate:

Tickets - $250
Hotel (2 nights Embassy Suites) - $350
Gas - $225
Food - $200
Merch- $100

Total - $1125

I am not wealthy by any means so this trip is a big deal. But it's sad that it costs this much to have decent seats and stay in a decent hotel to attend a race weekend. Obviously there are ways to cut costs but this is how I do out of town races.

I could've saved you a ton of money on that race if you hadn't booked that hotel.

I could've saved you a ton of money on that race if you hadn't booked that hotel.

The hotel is one of our favorite things about traveling to races. We always stay at an Embassy Suites. Great complementary breakfast, nice 2 room suites and a pool. Also I'll have enough bonus points for a free weekend stay for Chicagoland in the fall. :)

The hotel is one of our favorite things about traveling to races. We always stay at an Embassy Suites. Great complementary breakfast, nice 2 room suites and a pool. Also I'll have enough bonus points for a free weekend stay for Chicagoland in the fall. :)

$200 for food? :eek:

Are you eating at Red Lobster?

Where are your seats?

Commonwealth Tower, Section N, Row 6, Seat 14.

If you want to save a little money, let me know. I'm probably going to bring a couple cases of good beer.

As good as that sounds, I don't drink when I have my kid with me. But I will get your contact info and sat hello.:)

Back
Top Bottom