Chase Elliott on his way

Mispeedway15

Team Owner
I know we’ve hyped people like Logano and Larson, but I think he’s on his way to be an all-time great. At 24 years old he’s basically a lock for 3-5 wins a year, and with Hendrick behind him the guy is on his way to being a regular championship force within this sport

The talent is there. Hendrick and Chevrolet need to get their act together and give the kid what he needs to run with the elites.

Going forward, the 9 team is Chevy’s best bet for a championship.

The talent is there. Hendrick and Chevrolet need to get their act together and give the kid what he needs to run with the elites.

Going forward, the 9 team is Chevy’s best bet for a championship.
Their only bet it would seem.

Reactions: Pat
With how touchy the cars are in today’s NASCAR it wouldn’t surprise me if he won 50+ races in his career or never surpasses 20. He has the talent where in years passed the driver could wheel an ill car to a win but now if the setup isn’t just right their doomed.

Let's pump the brakes on the whole "legendary status" thing. That hype is not a good thing. I realistically see a career in the Jr or Jeff Burton level, but who knows with the new car coming in a couple years. Right now I think he'll stay in the 2-4 wins a year category until HMS/Chevy steps up their game.

Let's pump the brakes on the whole "legendary status" thing. That hype is not a good thing. I realistically see a career in the Jr or Jeff Burton level, but who knows with the new car coming in a couple years. Right now I think he'll stay in the 2-4 wins a year category until HMS/Chevy steps up their game.
What? A jr or Jeff Burton career isn't 2-4 wins per year.

2-4 per year is elite. Chase will have a superior career lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

With how touchy the cars are in today’s NASCAR it wouldn’t surprise me if he won 50+ races in his career or never surpasses 20. He has the talent where in years passed the driver could wheel an ill car to a win but now if the setup isn’t just right their doomed.
My heart breaks reading that last sentence.

What? A jr or Jeff Burton career isn't 2-4 wins per year.

2-4 per year is elite. Chase will have a superior career lol

I meant ending up with a win total in the 20s. Jeff had a run there at Roush where he was winning 3-4 a year and a title "contender."

The gerbil Burton had 4 top 5 finishes for the year in 22 freaking years. Zero...goose egg championships.. Jr also had 4 top 5 finishes for the year in 19 years with another goose egg when it comes to championships. Why is anybody comparing those records to what Chase Elliott can or can not do? BTW Elliott already has two overall top 5's in 6 years. with one 6th and is currently 4th in the points.

Reactions: Pat
The gerbil Burton had 4 top 5 finishes for the year in 22 freaking years. Zero...goose egg championships.. Jr also had 4 top 5 finishes for the year in 19 years with another goose egg when it comes to championships. Why is anybody comparing those records to what Chase Elliott can or can not do? BTW Elliott already has two overall top 5's in 6 years. with one 6th and is currently 4th in the points.
I'll show myself out. *hangs head*

(I'm trying reverse psychology mojo here)

I'll show myself out. *hangs head*

(I'm trying reverse psychology mojo here)
It's working..any chance and you gave me one to point out how dismal both of the gerbils driving records are after I had to listen to them giving road course driving tips all day. I can take only so much of that B.S. Both of their Ego's are out the window IMO. Throw in clueless Rick and the crew chief that can't count and it's a mess.

If we're being honest he should be sitting easily over double digit wins already even with the struggling Chevy, but circumstance had other plans over the last few years. If he was in a Gibbs car or a Ford he'd be the hottest thing in the series, I truly belive that.

Yeah but that’s because the engineering improvements, not due to any of the actual aero/mechanical rules. Let’s be honest, computer technology more than anything is allowing these guys to knock it out of the park.

Chase looks good and had a solid resume. His future is still ambiguous and some of you might want to dial down the expectations just a touch. It's a lot more fun to be surprised by exceeded expectations than disappointed by expectations that were set too high.
But if you want to declare him the next 7 time champ, have at it! :biggrin:

Yep, you only have to look at the performance difference with Chase and Bowman last year and earlier this year. When Chase had ill handling cars at some races he was at the back of the pack until they got the car better and then he would work is way forward, and when Chase and Bowman both had good cars they were usually leading each other around at the front of the pack. But, now Chase seems to have good cars that he can get good results with and Bowman has had shi-t for performance. I definitely think the car set up is very touchy in todays cars. I have watched Chase and Bowman make mistakes themselves but when they both have good cars and they don't make mistakes they have a darn good chance of winning on any track on the circuit.

Last edited:
Yep, you only have to look at the performance difference with Chase and Bowman last year and earlier this year. When Chase had ill handling cars at some races he was at the back of the pack until they got the car better and then he would work is way forward, and when Chase and Bowman both had good cars they were usually leading each other around at the front of the pack. But, now Chase seems to have good cars that he can get good results with and Bowman has had shi-t for performance. I definitely think the car set up is very touchy in todays cars.

Yeah 2018 is where it really showed first. 26 out of 36 races were won by 5 guys. 22-2-78-18-4 absolutely killed the rest of the sport

As a Chase fan I get nervous predicting the future, but that's more on how my former drivers career arc went. 2006 from Kasey Kahne gave meem really high expectations that were never close to being met.

I meant ending up with a win total in the 20s. Jeff had a run there at Roush where he was winning 3-4 a year and a title "contender."
I'm shocked that you are saying that as an Eliot fan. I DO think he's overrated, and is a step below guys like Hamlin, Brad, Joey (Denny staying on him with a slower car showcased the small talent gap there), but even I think it's a bit crazy to think Chase will win less than 35 races. Chase is young, he has at least a 40 win career ahead of him, imo.

It's working..any chance and you gave me one to point out how dismal both of the gerbils driving records are after I had to listen to them giving road course driving tips all day. I can take only so much of that B.S. Both of their Ego's are out the window IMO. Throw in clueless Rick and the crew chief that can't count and it's a mess.
This is up there for one of your greatest post.

I had to read this twice. Everything you said here is hilarious accurate

If we're being honest he should be sitting easily over double digit wins already even with the struggling Chevy, but circumstance had other plans over the last few years. If he was in a Gibbs car or a Ford he'd be the hottest thing in the series, I truly belive that.
I think the notion that Chase is better behind the wheel than Busch, Harvick, Hamlin, Keselowski, and Joey right NOW is absolutely ridiculous.

I'm shocked that you are saying that as an Eliot fan. I DO think he's overrated, and is a step below guys like Hamlin, Brad, Joey (Denny staying on him with a slower car showcased the small talent gap there), but even I think it's a bit crazy to think Chase will win less than 35 races. Chase is young, he has at least a 40 win career ahead of him, imo.

That's fair. I guess I'm just trying to be conservative. I hesitate to say that anyone is a guaranteed future Champion given the way the playoffs are set up now. If they hit on the next car and it truly puts more driver back into the equation, look out. If we were in the old points system, then I'd say Chase would be like his dad or a Terry/Bobby Labonte type and get his wins but win a title on consistency. There, I've typed a lot and said nothing.

Re-looking at the math, yeah, I was way low. If he stays in another 10 years at 3 wins a year that'll put him at 38. So saying 35-50 wins for the career isn't absurd.

As you said he is young and that is the one thing that will change at some time and it is hard to know if or how that change will effect him. He is young and hungry now but eventually he will grow up and probably want to get married and have kids and no one knows how soon that will be and if it will effect him or not. I have seen so many different crew guys and race car drivers change dramatically when they get married and even more when they have kids...it can change their whole out look on what they were doing before. I'm not even going to try to guess how many wins he will get...I'm just going to enjoy his racing adventure while it's here. But, I hope he is still racing even if it is in a wheel chair when he is 100 and still racking up wins.:beerbang:

You do realize Denny was hammering that car into every corner trying to close the gap while Chase was trying to be smooth and gap maintain right? Chase even said so in his presser. There was no gap in talent. Well actually there was, Chase smoking everyone all day made it obvious.

As per usual when Chase Nation comes together, there's tons of opinions about what coulda shoulda woulda... if only his car wasn't such a slug.

"If they can get the Chevys running better consistently..."

"Can you imagine if Hendrick was at 2007 level of strength?"

"Hendrick and Chevrolet need to get their act together."

"... until HMS/Chevy steps up their game."

"If he was in a Gibbs car or a Ford..."

Fact Check: Chase Elliott drives the overall fastest car in NASCAR, a ranking the Hendrick #9 Chevy has held virtually all year. Since 2020 speed data was first published early in the year, and right up through the 20th race at Loudon (latest data I've seen), the overall speed ranking for the #9 team leads the entire field. Chase Elliott's car ain't no slug.

As a long term cup series average, the fastest car on a given race day wins that race 40% of the time. Chase Elliott probably regrets not converting more of his opportunities, but there are many factors other than having the fastest car.

Meanwhile, Harvick is tearing it up this year. In 2014 through 2019 (Harvick's SHR years), he had the fastest car or 2nd fastest car every single year - an incredible streak - but he often struggled to convert the fastest car to the winning car. But in 2020, his overall speed ranks 5th fastest and he seems to win almost every week.

Whenever Austin Dillion is having decent finishes, there isn't anything wrong with the Chevys IMO. Hendrick finished the race with 3 cars in the top 8

Whenever Austin Dillion is having decent finishes, there isn't anything wrong with the Chevys IMO. Hendrick finished the race with 3 cars in the top 8
It could just be the way the different crew chiefs set them up.

To be fair as well Chevy is more divided than the other manufacturers. Gibbs is basically Toyota, Penske and Stewart-Haas mirror each other typically. Yet CGR, Hendrick and RCR seem to do their own thing more.

As you said he is young and that is the one thing that will change at some time and it is hard to know if or how that change will effect him. He is young and hungry now but eventually he will grow up and probably want to get married and have kids and no one knows how soon that will be and if it will effect him or not. I have seen so many different crew guys and race car drivers change dramatically when they get married and even more when they have kids...it can change their whole out look on what they were doing before. I'm not even going to try to guess how many wins he will get...I'm just going to enjoy his racing adventure while it's here. But, I hope he is still racing even if it is in a wheel chair when he is 100 and still racking up wins.:beerbang:
Chad. Can't get wins with his cars now.

I think the notion that Chase is better behind the wheel than Busch, Harvick, Hamlin, Keselowski, and Joey right NOW is absolutely ridiculous.

All of those guys have VASTLY more experience than Chase does, and honestly, they drive for teams that are better than HMS is right now. When the car is good, he can run with any of them. when it's not, he almost always gets more out of it than any of his teammates. Is he better than the guys mentioned above? Was Jeff Gordon more talented than Dale Earnhardt 1995-98? Probably not, but he was close enough to take a better car than Earnhardt's and whip his ass with it.

Back
Top Bottom