Chase Elliott

• Thread starter Restrictor Plate King!
  • Start date
Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – When Jeff Gordon told car owner Rick Hendrick “it’s time,’’ then came the next question.
What to do with the No. 24?

While NASCAR does not retire car numbers, Hendrick wondered if he should run the number. No driver other than Gordon has won a NASCAR Sprint Cup race with the No. 24 and Gordon’s 92 victories rank third all time. If ever a number deserved to be retired, this seemed to be good time.

Hendrick asked Gordon what he wanted to do with the number. As a four-time champion Gordon earned the right to have a say.

“I thought it would be appropriate if he wanted to to sit it out a year or whatever NASCAR would let us do,’’ Hendrick said. “HIs comment was, ‘We have a lot of fans, we have a lot of sponsors involved with that number and they want to see it go on.’ He said, ‘I’d rather see it go on.’’

from here

I'm hoping that Chase driving the #24 won't put too much pressure on him. I am not a fan of retiring numbers, but I am a bit leery of a rookie taking over such an iconic number, especially with all the hype currently surrounding him. This could easily be disastrous, but I think Chase has the talent and the team to make this a non-issue.

I'm hoping that Chase driving the #24 won't put too much pressure on him. I am not a fan of retiring numbers, but I am a bit leery of a rookie taking over such an iconic number, especially with all the hype currently surrounding him. This could easily be disastrous, but I think Chase has the talent and the team to make this a non-issue.

That crossed my mind earlier today... He also has his dad who has been there, done that. Chase Elliott is one of the most hyped drivers of all time. I feel like we are going to have to remind himself what he's driving and at what age.

That crossed my mind earlier today... He also has his dad who has been there, done that. Chase Elliott is one of the most hyped drivers of all time. I feel like we are going to have to remind himself what he's driving and at what age.
I think that will make the difference right there. Chase has a good head on his shoulders and you can see that by the way he races - I guess if someone had to take over the 24 after Gordon then who better than Chase Elliot.

I think that will make the difference right there. Chase has a good head on his shoulders and you can see that by the way he races - I guess if someone had to take over the 24 after Gordon then who better than Chase Elliot.
Exactly. The cars may change, the tracks may change, the rules may change, but one thing that always remains constant and is most valuable in this sport is experience. Chase is one fortunate S.O.B. to have Bill as his father, and that will be the main reason he will be successful. Chase will not be my favorite driver (I'm forever loyal to my "guy"), but I have a TON of respect for the Elliott family and wish him a ton of success. I would hate to see him fail in the #24.

As a Chase Elliott fan I am stunned and thrilled. Be damed the number this kid will get it done unlike Danica. He is the real deal. Danica, I hate you. Still holding out for the 94.

I am the biggest Chase Elliott fan on this board. I just got the news. Just wow. Chase will kick Danicas ass to hell and the some. He is the real deal and desrves this. I am stunned. This kid is really good. I have now a reason to watch racing for 2015-16,

I am the biggest Chase Elliott fan on this board. I just got the news. Just wow. Chase will kick Danicas ass to hell and the some. He is the real deal and desrves this. I am stunned. This kid is really good. I have now a reason to watch racing for 2015-16,

You're the biggest Chase Elliott fan here and you JUST got the news? Huh.. ;) :D

Yeah, kinda wondering that same thing. Also, I don't get the Danica tie-in.

Most people build someone up by putting someone else down.

Like Chase or not, how can he improve on the reputation of the 24? Maybe by being a 5 time?

Kid is the real deal on and off the track. pretty excited about his future.

This young man is the proof that if a child's parents stay involved, and I said "PARENT'S", in his activities and provide clear direction, teaching humility and respect to all. Chase has got a hell of a career in front of him with this type attitude and respect for others.

What ever number he uses he will make it his own. The 9 and 24 have a couple of impressive histories and I also associate those numbers with Coors and DuPont. I expect the 9 or 24 to have different sponsors so it will probably look different and represent a different car/driver to me.

He is. I interviewed him before the Snowflake 100 (2013). He had already set a new track record in qualifying for the Derby and won at Nashville a few weeks prior completing the Super Late Model grand slam (wins in the Snowball Derby, Winchester 400, All-American and World Crown). I mentioned that and he had absolutely no ego, even when I mentioned that he was going down as one of the greatest drivers in short track racing. He had absolutely no ego at all.

He really doesn't have any choice does he?
King Rick will tell him what to say and when to eat. Part of the paycheck.

The color reminds me of .......................

412417813.jpg

Gustafson, too? :D

Yeah, guess Gust knows what he's doing after all.:lol2: Seriously ,to put a rookie in the car and to be as fast as they are consistently is impressive, to say the least. Not taking anything away from Chase as he's doing fantastic job as well.

Last edited:
So far it looks like I made a good choice for a replacement after Jeff announced his retirement.

Back
Top Bottom