Chicago - 2023

19USMC69

Team Owner
Has anyone seen a detailed layout of the entire area NASCAR has arranged for? Unless I’m mistaken the course itself has been identified, but I’d like to see what’s been allocated for pits, hauler space, seating, etc.

On another subject, Chicago’s mayor has been taking grief from a couple of aldermen whose neighborhoods will be impacted. It’s been reported that NASCAR has contracted the entire area for a month.

Better yet, what area do they intend to set aside for fans that camp out ?

The underground Grant Park garage maybe ? :cool:

grant park garage.png

It's going to be an awesome event, and some will bitch here endlessly because of the "quality" of the racing.

It will probably be the first NASCAR event where the majority of the spectators arrive by public transportation. I’m originally from Chicago and can count on one hand how many times I drove to downtown.

If NASCAR had half a brain cell working, you'd think they might consider running at Nashville the week after the Indy Car race, while the track is still set up.

Or is that track just too damn narrow for Cup cars.

It's going to be an awesome event, and some will bitch here endlessly because of the "quality" of the racing.

Well I mean you need a good race for it to be a good race so if the race sucks the race will suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An event like this will draw more than NASCAR fans. The south and west sides of Chicago are hotbeds of drug dealing and shootings. Keeping these dirtbags out will be a challenge. If just a couple of these creeps get in and do their dirty work this could turn out to be a PR disaster for NASCAR. On the other hand, if the race comes off well both NASCAR and Chicago will be well served.

If NASCAR had half a brain cell working, you'd think they might consider running at Nashville the week after the Indy Car race, while the track is still set up.

They already have Nashville Superspeedway & Nashville Fairgrounds possibly getting built.

Well I mean you need a good race for it to be a good race so if the race sucks the race will suck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am first and foremost a product man. If your product sucks, nothing else you do, no matter how good matters to me. I have despised street races since I saw my first one on TV back in the 80's and nothing that has happened in all the years since has given me a reason to modify that opinion. By chance I watched the first Nashville Indy street race with a group of people that normally watch little if any racing, and every single one thought it was a complete joke.

They’re going back to the fairgrounds soon. Plus, the Nashville street course is terrible, and that’s coming from someone who is an adamant defender of street course racing.

It will probably be the first NASCAR event where the majority of the spectators arrive by public transportation. I’m originally from Chicago and can count on one hand how many times I drove to downtown.
I made that mistake one time trying to drive in Downtown Boston, never again.

I've never had an issue with driving in Chicago. I don't enjoy it, but I don't avoid it either, though I try to plan for off-peak hours to avoid the worst of the gridlock. I find Dallas somewhat more difficult, but I don't avoid it either. Anybody going to this race that is coming from the east would be wise to consider parking at the South Bend IN. airport and riding the South Shore Interurban into the Chicago lakefront. Hassle free and very reasonable, probably less than downtown parking will cost you.

I've never had an issue with driving in Chicago. I don't enjoy it, but I don't avoid it either, though I try to plan for off-peak hours to avoid the worst of the gridlock. I find Dallas somewhat more difficult, but I don't avoid it either. Anybody going to this race that is coming from the east would be wise to consider parking at the South Bend IN. airport and riding the South Shore Interurban into the Chicago lakefront. Hassle free and very reasonable, probably less than downtown parking will cost you.

Another option to consider is getting a room in south suburban Chicago and riding the Metra Electric into downtown Chicago.

The South Shore Interurban and the Metra Electric literally pass right through Grant Park where the race will be held.

One day I'm going to find myself in a town with a mass transit system. I hope they have tutorials for hicks and rubes. Rather ironic for a guy who works for a company that builds mass transit control systems and even manages a couple of them.

Now Playing: Banana Republic-Jimmy Buffett
Technically we're the operators on this project, lead company on a consortium that's building the system and will handle day-to-day operations and maintenance. Management is up to HART.

"Things aren't as warm as they seem..."

whew. Over a Chicago Bears game?
WHO? That miserably boring team in a butchered once-historic stadium? That they are vacating soon anyways?

Blackhawks - Haven’t been relevant in years now.

Cubs - Got their World Series, suck again, but everyone can die in peace in now anyways.

White Sox - More like White Sux…not a relevant team.

Bulls - Michael Jordan isn’t walking through that door.

WHO? That miserably boring team in a butchered once-historic stadium? That they are vacating soon anyways?

Cubs - Got their World Series, suck again, but everyone can die in peace in now anyways.

As a native of Chicago I’m now experiencing some low grade PTSD.

You must be a native Chicagoian, I feel like I just listened to a caller on 670 The Score ( our sports talk radio station). Well done ha ha hurts reading this as a White Sox fan. What a disaster of a franchise.

You must be a native Chicagoian, I feel like I just listened to a caller on 670 The Score ( our sports talk radio station). Well done ha ha hurts reading this as a White Sox fan. What a disaster of a franchise.
The Cubs being in last place on a steaming hot day in August still outdraws probably ANY of the last five races at Joliet, even though the event ratio is. 82 to 1. I'm all for optimism, but I also don't believe in delusions.

Back
Top Bottom