Chicago - 2023

The Cubs being in last place on a steaming hot day in August still outdraws probably ANY of the last five races at Joliet, even though the event ratio is. 82 to 1. I'm all for optimism, but I also don't believe in delusions.
eh. if the race does great, great. If it fails.....then onto the next thing, I'm sure they'll find somewhere else to go. Sometimes Delusional Fun is the best fun. I do feel as a dedicated ticket holder of Chicagoland, the track got hosed and bamboozled, Covid was used an excuse to get the race moved to this pie in the sky idea. Saying that, I dont want to take away the excitement others are feeling for this street course and god bless em. I just wont be going to it, not my cup of tea for stock cars and you couldnt pay me all the money in the world to drive down into the city on July 4th weekend, thats a high stress situation there. I do think its going to be a hell of a spectacle seeing these machines race on Lakeshore drive, like thats something you only see in a video game right? Points for that right there, and I do think its great NASCAR is thinking out of the box with this one. Commendable, but if Lori gets voted out in office, I dont see this lasting long with the hurt feelings (pockets?) of city politicians, seems she pulled one over them, judging from reading from the local papers. Also the logistics of closing an actual major street or two in the heart of downtown for weeks at a time, I cant comprehend. I would bet anyone though that this wont be on the schedule in 5 years but you know what, lets try to enjoy it I guess while its here. I'll have the snarky comments saved for if it does end up a failure.

eh. if the race does great, great. If it fails.....then onto the next thing, I'm sure they'll find somewhere else to go. Sometimes Delusional Fun is the best fun. I do feel as a dedicated ticket holder of Chicagoland, the track got hosed and bamboozled, Covid was used an excuse to get the race moved to this pie in the sky idea. Saying that, I dont want to take away the excitement others are feeling for this street course and god bless em. I just wont be going to it, not my cup of tea for stock cars and you couldnt pay me all the money in the world to drive down into the city on July 4th weekend, thats a high stress situation there. I do think its going to be a hell of a spectacle seeing these machines race on Lakeshore drive, like thats something you only see in a video game right? Points for that right there, and I do think its great NASCAR is thinking out of the box with this one. Commendable, but if Lori gets voted out in office, I dont see this lasting long with the hurt feelings (pockets?) of city politicians, seems she pulled one over them, judging from reading from the local papers. Also the logistics of closing an actual major street or two in the heart of downtown for weeks at a time, I cant comprehend. I would bet anyone though that this wont be on the schedule in 5 years but you know what, lets try to enjoy it I guess while its here. I'll have the snarky comments saved for if it does end up a failure.

I would just say there are a good 100 places that NASCAR could expend energy thinking outside the box before they get to this one. As long as we're talking about the Cubs, NASCAR would be better served not swinging out of their shoes trying to hit home runs when they they SHOULD be trying to score that runner standing on second base. Build on the good parts of the product you have, don't try to reinvent the product. I have the exact same feelings about these arena races. It might be mildly (VERY MILDLY) entertaining but it's not what NASCAR is. What good is it to hype people on a product that doesn't represent who you are and what you do the other 35 weeks of the season?

I would just say there are a good 100 places that NASCAR could expend energy thinking outside the box before they get to this one. As long as we're talking about the Cubs, NASCAR would be better served not swinging out of their shoes trying to hit home runs when they they SHOULD be trying to score that runner standing on second base. Build on the good parts of the product you have, don't try to reinvent the product. I have the exact same feelings about these arena races. It might be mildly (VERY MILDLY) entertaining but it's not what NASCAR is. What good is it to hype people on a product that doesn't represent who you are and what you do the other 35 weeks of the season?
Some people need to stay on the porch it sounds like.

I see a real opportunity for NASCAR to become the best and biggest sporting attraction in Chicago.

The Cup race at Chicagoland Speedway was among the biggest sporting attractions in Chicago until, in a relatively short period of time, it wasn't.

The best that NASCAR can hope for is that the Grant Park race is able to repeat that short-term success.

dibs.jpg

Definitely nuting worth stealing there lol
I don't know about that. The two end chairs look like metal, and I can always use another large storage container with a lid.

Thanks, all. I plan to remain lacking in hands-on experience regarding this practice.

This is definitely a PIttsburgh ritual. It works great on their city streets but don't think it's going to work in the pits when you try to save 3 spots for your buddies.
GTFOH
It used to work in the grandstands for general admission races. We’d bring a roll of duct tape and mark off our seats, then hit the sovereign haulers, vendors, etc.

It used to work in the grandstands for general admission races. We’d bring a roll of duct tape and mark off our seats, then hit the sovereign haulers, vendors, etc.
My mom would always take a blanket to the GA seats. We saved our own spot. Not 5 extra. Of course, the same fans sat in the same area every single week. I sure miss those good times.

Okay, stupid questions. This race is scheduled to start at 4:30 local time. How tall are the buildings around this layout, especially those on the west side of it? Is there going to be enough natural light to run this, will existing street lighting be sufficient, or will NASCAR have to bring in supplemental lighting? And how will this affect pushrod length?

Okay, stupid questions. This race is scheduled to start at 4:30 local time. How tall are the buildings around this layout, especially those on the west side of it? Is there going to be enough natural light to run this, will existing street lighting be sufficient, or will NASCAR have to bring in supplemental lighting? And how will this affect pushrod length?
It's a big city and they have bright lights

Michigan Avenue looking south

Chilsen-Michigan-Ave-Streetwall-03-1.jpg

I don't really understand how that works it's part of the city with businesses and stuff. You just going to completely close off that part of city and require people to buy a ticket to enter?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Don't understand the late afternoon start time.

If the race starts on time they'll be OK but if there's any type of delay (i.e. rain) they'll be hard pressed to get it in before it gets dark.

That being said, being a life-long Chicagoan I figure on attending, if for no other reason than to take in the circus-like atmosphere.

Don't understand the late afternoon start time.

If the race starts on time they'll be OK but if there's any type of delay (i.e. rain) they'll be hard pressed to get it in before it gets dark.

That being said, being a life-long Chicagoan I figure on attending, if for no other reason than to take in the circus-like atmosphere.
Rain? If its a street race they can bring rain tires no?

Back
Top Bottom