Chicago - 2023

Rain? If its a street race they can bring rain tires no?
That still doesn't mean it would start on time. This past season we had a road course delayed because of rain. I can guarantee they wont put the cars out there and risk looking like a bunch of fools similar to the 1st race at COTA.

question:for street races do they wash the street first to take the oil and fluids off from the traffic before putting the cars on it?

question:for street races do they wash the street first to take the oil and fluids off from the traffic before putting the cars on it?
According to some out-of-state politicians who have likely never been to the town, they'll also have to push the bodies out of the way between stages. Or maybe just use them as 'turtles'.

According to some out-of-state politicians who have likely never been to the town, they'll also have to push the bodies out of the way between stages. Or maybe just use them as 'turtles'.

True enough.

It gets tough here dodging the bullets constantly flying around when one also has to get past the bodies and trash that keep piling up all over town.

And don't forget the drug pushers and hookers on every street corner.

Then again, that just life in the big city . . . . . . . according to those who've never experienced it.

Chicago Street Course.png

After several viewings of the "car on the track" simulation, what really stands out is just how close the track will be to the buildings along the west side of Michigan Avenue.

At about the 0:55 mark of the simulation the car is approaching Turn 7 and must make a hard right turn onto Michigan Avenue.

Similarly at about the 1:08 mark it approaches Turn 10 and again makes a right turn onto Michigan Avenue.

It will be interesting to see what the barriers and catch fences in those corners look like as the buildings are only about 25 feet from the street's curb line.

Looks like in turn 7 they will be going pretty slow. 10 looks a bit treacherous like they could get the idea to cut inside and they are going pretty good in that area. I think there could be plenty of wrecks, the course is pretty tight and technical in spots.

If nothing else it should assure the Chicago fans that the track is still in good shape and it isn't a parking lot.

Looks like in turn 7 they will be going pretty slow. 10 looks a bit treacherous like they could get the idea to cut inside and they are going pretty good in that area. I think there could be plenty of wrecks, the course is pretty tight and technical in spots.
Do you think 7 will be slower than 2 or 12? To my untrained eye, they appear to be similar 90 degree right-handers with similar approaches. Indeed, 7 of the 13 turns are 90 degrees.

Joliet has wanted to keep racing there, not much of a surprise.

Do you think 7 will be slower than 2 or 12? To my untrained eye, they appear to be similar 90 degree right-handers with similar approaches. Indeed, 7 of the 13 turns are 90 degrees.
The only differences I see are the width of the street they are turning on to. Some like Lakeshore Dr are pretty wide and I would think they could be taken pretty fast compared to say Jackson St. that would be more technical. Hard to tell for sure because elevations aren't shown in the 2D print.

View attachment 66949

After several viewings of the "car on the track" simulation, what really stands out is just how close the track will be to the buildings along the west side of Michigan Avenue.

At about the 0:55 mark of the simulation the car is approaching Turn 7 and must make a hard right turn onto Michigan Avenue.

Similarly at about the 1:08 mark it approaches Turn 10 and again makes a right turn onto Michigan Avenue.

It will be interesting to see what the barriers and catch fences in those corners look like as the buildings are only about 25 feet from the street's curb line.

Those wall openings at 7 and 10 seem kinda dangerous.

Those wall openings at 7 and 10 seem kinda dangerous.
Yeah narrower parts of the course in addition to added barriers and padding they are going to have to use are going to make interesting safety challenges. I'm curious how they are going to engineer it.

Chicago Bears running back Khalil Herbert repping a GOAT today at Soldier Field

Streets of Chicago — July 2

You want different? This is different.

NASCAR will journey into entirely new territory on the Independence Day weekend, molding a race course from the streets of downtown Chicago.

Numerous series have raced on street courses, of course, but it’s a new animal for NASCAR and its big stock cars. Some drivers have voiced concern about passing zones on what necessarily will be a tight course, and there also have been questions about accidents in or near turns blocking the course and creating nightmare logjams.

Part of the intrigue.

Much like last year’s Clash at the Coliseum, the Chicago race has its share of doubters. LA resulted in a big hit for NASCAR. A similar result in Chicago could increase the likelihood that NASCAR will consider other major-city visits.

Not much new about it. They’ve been running at Trois-Riveres for years. Des Moines, Long Beach, etc.

I wonder how many Cup drivers would show up to race at N Wilkesboro. I wouldn't think it would be too many in comparison. Personally I am glad they banned them from Chicago so they don't steal any thunder from the Xfinity race.

Some musical entertainment while you peruse the majestic pageantry of the Chicago Street Race

NASCAR is really an all-encompassing experience now. Remember the old days? You'd be lucky if June and Gert did a Jug band performance.

NASCAR is really an all-encompassing experience now. Remember the old days? You'd be lucky if June and Gert did a Jug band performance.
The Jug Band performance is better than some Chainsmokers songs.

What do you consider "old days". They've had some top flight bands and performers for quite a while.

Back
Top Bottom