Chicago RACE thread

I hate that I missed Alex Bowman winning! I kept saying he had it in him, did I not? Anyway, cool stuff to see!

Ole washed up Jimmie got a top-five. The whole Hendrick squad was in the mix. I think they've made it, guys and gals.

I have never for one second thought his job was in jeopardy. Rick wanted him, and Rick put him on the payroll for a year waiting for the 88 ride to open up. His performance last year was the second best on the team and he went deeper in the playoffs than his 7 time champion teammate did. He struggled a little bit at the start of this season, but has rebounded VERY strong. If the HMS cars had been anywhere CLOSE to as good as they were today, he would probably have 2-3 wins by now. He is also clearly the type of driver that Rick likes to put in his cars, and there is the bonus that he doesn't command a mega salary. There is also the fact that there is no obvious replacement available or waiting in the wings. I think sometimes some people try a little TOO HARD to be the smartest person in the room, and dream up scenarios without actually examining the whole picture. I am proud to say that I was on his bandwagon early, and I never doubted he could win at this level.

I have never for one second thought his job was in jeopardy. Rick wanted him, and Rick put him on the payroll for a year waiting for the 88 ride to open up. His performance last year was the second best on the team and he went deeper in the playoffs than his 7 time champion teammate did. He struggled a little bit at the start of this season, but has rebounded VERY strong. If the HMS cars had been anywhere CLOSE to as good as they were today, he would probably have 2-3 wins by now. He is also clearly the type of driver that Rick likes to put in his cars, and there is the bonus that he doesn't command a mega salary. There is also the fact that there is no obvious replacement available or waiting in the wings. I think sometimes some people try a little TOO HARD to be the smartest person in the room, and dream up scenarios without actually examining the whole picture. I am proud to say that I was on his bandwagon early, and I never doubted he could win at this level.

Hendrick has a good group of drivers, the whole Chevy camp has to be better. I hope JHN gets the 48 eventually.

That's awesome. Good thing it was Larson that Bowman was racing for the win and not Kyle, Joey, or Brad.
Or Harvick, Jimmie, Truex, Kurt (if his car was good enough)

Larson is very overrated.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reading through this thread, do people really forget that, after just 2 winless years, that JJ has been the best at executing race (against the stars of today mind you) for the majority of his careers? I know they're jokes...but man, what does an 83 win 7x champion need to do to make people think he's still a better driver than Eliot? Lololol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

We had a power outage with 70 to go. My only way to follow the rave was twitter on my phone. I was almost screaming the last few laps. I want to watch the last 15-20 laps.

So dishonest. There's a reason you deceptively tried to talk down Twitter... :rolleyes:

Over 800,000 followers of Chase and less than 50,000 followers for Deegan. Kyle Busch has over 900,000. Some of the people leering at Hallie's Instagram should probably be on a Police List.

But, social media is probably not a great gauge to measure interest for an aging NASCAR demographic who are less likely to use social media to signal their fandom in supporting one NASCAR personality over another.

You should've at least been honest with us when you dismissed the Twitter numbers. Having dealt with others like you, that was the first thing I looked at -- Your guilty conscience was too obvious. :D

As for "star" -- that is a term of art. Deegan is on a very low NASCAR rung, so "known personality" is probably more accurate. There's little doubt that Deegan will bring more attention to NASCAR, it could be a great situation where everybody wins.
Oops you beat me to this

Didn't get to take it in with his team before the interview.

This frontstretch interview thing don't work.
This. The front stretch interviews come off as forced and scripted. He showed real emotion in VL when he got out of the car. But some on here griping about emotion...what did you want to the kid to do, a cartwheel on the front stretch? He was holding back tears as well as giving it a bit to those who didn’t think he would win a race. I thought he came off as likeable and genuine, I’ll be cheering for him to win more that’s for sure.

"So, I think even Chad (Knaus) said something about me not winning a race. So, Chad Knaus, there we went and did it. Everybody can stop giving me crap. We finally did it!”"
-Bowman

HMS behind-the-scenes revealed -- what else is going on over there?

If Jr. didn’t get his bell rung, he’d probably still be in the car.
This. I have no doubt he'd still be racing. I Think he would have raced longer than his dad..... ( I know under the circumstances) its a shame I think this rules package was meant for him.

Biggest NASCAR Star right now....... Hailie Deegan or Dale Earnhardt Jr. Discuss........ ( Hailie Deegan is not the biggest star in the sport. Totally disagree.)
lindabanner-1.jpg

uncontrolled tire B.S.

WOW. I'm going to be in agreement with Denny on something. Pigs will fly! The rule as written and practiced is pure stupid in only a way NASCAR can seem to accomplish. Either Make the crews have every tire under physical control at ALL times, Make the rule that tires merely remain in the pit box or go back to two tire carriers. I like black and white rules, not ones subject to "interpretation", and any one of those three options would be be FAR better than what we have now. It's really hard for me to fathom that "adults" sat around and came up with the current rule.

anything that leads to more "race control" I am strongly against. Race control has about killed F-1 and IndyCar with their questionable calls. This was another one. The freakin tire was just sitting there. Just becuse his hand wasn't on it they called it. Took a driver out of the race for B.S. On one hand they want close competition, but screw a driver who was a threat to win the race for nothing. I'm a long ways from a Denny fan, but they got screwed by the monkeys watching cameras who get paid to find something to justify their existences.

Larson and Logano battled deep in stage 3 for the privilege of going after the race leader

Only to be topped by Larson with a used up car running down and passing Bowman,

Who then cooly responded by finding a way past Larson on his way to his first Cup Win.

That was just good racing -- I thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

Stoked for Alex Bowman. I knew he'd be breaking thru soon.

This. The front stretch interviews come off as forced and scripted. He showed real emotion in VL when he got out of the car. But some on here griping about emotion...what did you want to the kid to do, a cartwheel on the front stretch? He was holding back tears as well as giving it a bit to those who didn’t think he would win a race. I thought he came off as likeable and genuine, I’ll be cheering for him to win more that’s for sure.
A lot of fans were complaining when AD ran and tried to slide through the grass also. They show emotion they get beat up and if they don't show emotion they still get beat up...because of some of the expectations some fans have I think it can be harder to win some of the fans approval then it is to win a race.;):)

some so called fans are professional critics IMO. It wouldn't have made any difference how he celebrated his win. The herd has a problem with anything out of their norm. Only the second different Camaro to win in a year and a half. Elliott has 2

A lot of fans were complaining when AD ran and tried to slide through the grass also. They show emotion they get beat up and if they don't show emotion they still get beat up...because of some of the expectations some fans have I think it can be harder to win some of the fans approval then it is to win a race.;):)
I wasn’t one of them, I thought the AD slide was corny but different. I dunno this whole emotion thing is humorous to me, I’m happy the kid won and he came off as likable IMO. I guess that’s not enough for some folks in these parts.

Back
Top Bottom