Chicago Street Race Pre-Race Thread

The Black Crowes playing the infield (or whatever) in a city where weed is legal actually sounds like a match made in heaven. If only RCR was allowed to put cannabis leaves on the car....

I watched the irace last night. Turn one and two are super wide for restarts and the last ten laps business picked up but overall there wasn't much passing and they were strung out for the most part.

Sales rep was just here a little while ago, and when we were talking, he mentioned being a fan of The Fast and the Furious and said it'd be cool to see NASCAR race in the middle of a city. I mentioned the Chicago race to him and he said he was gonna have to tune in and watch it.

This may not be a good weekend for the deathbedders.

in my line of work I deal with auto mechanics and this week alone, I've probably had about 10-20 customers I didnt even know would be interested in this race ask me if my company is sponsoring the race or doing ticket promotions through franchises like myself. Unfortunately we arnt doing a ticket promo for this one, but to say like I have in the past that there will be no interest in this one is plain wrong. That's my mea culpa, I was wrong for saying no one here cared about this, interest has picked up since about 2 weeks ago I've noticed in local coverage, adds on sports talk radio and in my own little bubble. Now I lived through the Chicagoland Speedway debut and that was its own different animal, I'd say anticipation for that one was incredibly high MONTHS (I'd even say YEARS) before the first race here. The anticipation for the street race is nothing like that was but...... theres something. I think they're gonna have a good weekend at the race, I kind of sort of just mayyyyyybbbbeee regret not going. But Chicagoland Speedway 4 ever.

Sales rep was just here a little while ago, and when we were talking, he mentioned being a fan of The Fast and the Furious and said it'd be cool to see NASCAR race in the middle of a city. I mentioned the Chicago race to him and he said he was gonna have to tune in and watch it.

This may not be a good weekend for the deathbedders.
Doesn't take much effort to say I hate street races. I know whatever, I am going to enjoy it. It's history, and it's young Ben's idea and he is sticking it out there out of the box. It's healthy for the sport IMO.

in my line of work I deal with auto mechanics and this week alone, I've probably had about 10-20 customers I didnt even know would be interested in this race ask me if my company is sponsoring the race or doing ticket promotions through franchises like myself. Unfortunately we arnt doing a ticket promo for this one, but to say like I have in the past that there will be no interest in this one is plain wrong. That's my mea culpa, I was wrong for saying no one here cared about this, interest has picked up since about 2 weeks ago I've noticed in local coverage, adds on sports talk radio and in my own little bubble. Now I lived through the Chicagoland Speedway debut and that was its own different animal, I'd say anticipation for that one was incredibly high MONTHS before the first race here. The anticipation for the street race is nothing like that was but...... theres something. I think they're gonna have a good weekend at the race, I kind of sort of just mayyyyyybbbbeee regret not going. But Chicagoland Speedway 4 ever.

I have no desire to go to Chicago for anything. Not knocking it, just never been and have never had a desire to go - although the Renee Zellweger movie (and the Broadway musical) and Barack Obama are cool, and I'd love to try an authentic Chicago Deep Dish pizza.

But I really wish I could go to this race. Street races are so cool. I loved going to the Baltimore Grand Prix when they had it.

And they've got some absolute kick-ass concerts lined up for this deal too.

Doesn't take much effort to say I hate street races. I know whatever, I am going to enjoy it. It's history, and it's young Ben's idea and he is sticking it out there out of the box. It's healthy for the sport IMO.

NASCAR's "core fans" (whatever the **** that means, because I don't think they're even fans at this point) are gonna hate anything that's new and different. All they want to do is to race at North Wilkesboro and Talladega every week.

eh, there hasn't been much negativity that I have seen about the race. Especially since the Guzman came around lol.
There's a mega ****ton of negativity surrounding this race on social media.

Honestly, a lot of it is because people watch too much Fox News and think you'll die, DIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE, if you step foot in the city - as if St. Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Milwaukee aren't more dangerous.

I hope the smoke clears out before the weekend, when it was bad in NYC a couple weeks ago they cancelled sports events for a few days.

Honestly, a lot of it is because people watch too much Fox News and think you'll die, DIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE, if you step foot in the city - as if St. Louis, Kansas City, Indianapolis, and Milwaukee aren't more dangerous.
I haven't seen it myself, compared to a regular race there is very little trolling in comparison. I think the stupids don't know what to think about it.

I hope the smoke clears out before the weekend, when it was bad in NYC a couple weeks ago they cancelled sports events for a few days.

Supposed to get some rain tomorrow that'll push it out.

We've gone through this wildfire smoke **** a few times this year where I live. Usually clears up after it rains or when winds shift.

That’s also what some of the sport’s “superstar” spotters have helped lead everyone to believe.

I don't like F-1 or Indy car racing on the street, and it has nothing to do with Fox sports or Fox News...but I will keep an open mind and give this race a chance. I have lived a few miles from the Long Beach Grand Prix for over 30 years and I have only attended one race... and I can get my tickets for free. Street racing just doesn't excite me much.

^ fixed

Society could discover a cure for cancer and there would be people on social media bitching about it

Social media is a cancer to society.

Just today, I seen that people want James Cameron's Titanic purged because some rich dudes decided to play Dumb Ways To Die.

Idiocy. The narrative will exist for this to be considered a failure. Passing will be near impossible. Set up, practice, and qualifying will be more crucial than ever. This is a two day show. If a fan only watches Sunday for the race, they will only see 50% of the storyline, and I guarantee disappointment. That is on the "fan" not the organizers or NASCAR. The social media leeches need to educate themselves, but if they did that, they wouldn't be social media leeches now would they.

I'm gonna defrost some Italian beef and gravy. Sautee a bunch of green peppers. Hunt down some decent Italian rolls and get my Chicago on for race day.
Hell yes! What time do you want me over? What kind of beer do people from Chicago drink?

Unlike Nashville, the X and Cup races will start at the same time of day, with similar track temperatures. The X race may be a better predictor of Cup action than it was last week.

Goodyear Fast Facts — Chicago Street Course​

NASCAR Cup Series – Race No. 18 – 100 laps / 220 miles
Chicago street course (2.2-mile road course) – Chicago, Ill.

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Road Course Radials

Set limits: 2 sets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 6 sets for the race (5 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)

Tire Codes: Left-front & Right-rear — D-5212; Right-front & Left-rear – D-5213

Tire Circumference: 2,275 mm (89.57 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front — 22 psi; Right Front — 20 psi; Left Rear — 17 psi; Right Rear — 17 psi

Storyline – Taking it to the streets: Going to a new race course is difficult, but not being able to test on that surface adds another level. That is what faces NASCAR and Goodyear this weekend on the Chicago street course. Goodyear had to rely on surface characterizations, as well as its history of designing tires to determine what would work. After getting the course layout, Goodyear sent an engineer to Chicago to measure the coefficient of friction at multiple locations. The tire maker then took that information, along with the estimated top speeds in each of the corners based on modeling done by the teams, and compared it to its database of other tracks NASCAR has raced on. All that confirmed that Goodyear’s standing road course set-up would work well on this course.

“This is an exciting week for NASCAR, with this event on the streets of Chicago,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “We had to take somewhat of a non-traditional tact in coming up with our tire set-up because we obviously couldn’t test on the course. We relied on some surface characterizations we gathered on the streets on different parts of the course. We also worked with teams that had done some extensive modeling of the complete circuit. After assessing all of that – the street surfaces and the expected speeds – we determined that the road course set-up that teams are very familiar with would be able to handle the demands of the circuit and be the best option.

Notes – Chicago aligned with other NASCAR Cup road courses: Being on 18-inch bead diameter tires, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the Xfinity Series on the Chicago street course this weekend . . . this tire set-up has been run by Cup teams at COTA and Sonoma already this season . . . these two tire codes have identical constructions and compounds, but they carry different codes because they are mounted directionally based on the corner of the car to keep the tread splice ‘closed’ under braking into the corners or acceleration off the corners . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars do not run inner liners in any of their tires.

Wet Weather Tires – Goodyear brings white-lettered “wets” to Chicago: Goodyear will bring its 18-inch wet weather radials to the Chicago street course for use by teams in the NASCAR Cup Series, should NASCAR decide that conditions warrant . . . the tread pattern on this tire is based on Goodyear’s Eagle Supercar 3 consumer tire . . . NASCAR Cup teams last ran a wet weather tire in competition at the All-Star race at North Wilkesboro in May, and the last time on a road course at Watkins Glen in August 2022 . . . in addition to the obvious difference of a tread pattern versus Goodyear’s dry weather “slick” tires, the “Goodyear” and “Eagle” lettering on the sidewalls of the wet weather tires is white, not the standard yellow.

— Goodyear Racing —

I’m a bit surprised there hasn’t been any SVG hype at all in this thread. The NASCAR Cup car platform is as unique as anything in the world, but Supercars is probably as close as it gets to it. Given that and his vast street experience he could be the best-positioned one-off driver in many years.

Will have to adapt to driving/shifting from the other side of the ****pit and I think he’s also a right foot braker, unlike pretty much every Cup driver.

Back
Top Bottom