Cole Custer

jaqua19

Team Owner
I know it's a bit premature for a driver thread, as he's not a cup driver.

However, he inevitably will be, and he will likely be in a top tier ride for SHR. I'm wondering what everyone here sees in his future. Does Custer show the talent of an inevitable cup champion? Or will he ride around on the edge of the playoffs like Dillon?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

He strikes me as an Almirola type in cup, top 15-20 most weeks, maybe a win here and there

I guess I'll be the first one to say that he will probably start off much like Ryan Blaney or Chase Elliott, rattle off a few wins, and after a few years, the wins will come more frequently. An Almirola or Suarez type? That's wild, Almirola has hardly ever won outside of plate races, and Suarez is not doing a whole lot to silence the "bought his ride" critics. Custer is already a peg above them in that he has won seven races in one season in the second-tier series at the same time as Christopher Bell, and he's won at almost every type of race track there is to win at. That speaks to me in terms of driving ability.

I’ve never understood why saying a guy is a top 20 driver is some kind of insult. There are only a few guys that dominate the sport, there’s gotta be mid pack drivers too. There are not gonna be 37 Kyle Busch’s in the field lol. I think Erik Jones, Buescher, Larson, Chase, Byron, Bowman, and Blaney are better prospects then Custer, and they have not torn up the scene yet. Larson and chase have the most wins with 6 a piece. Also keep in mind Almirola has had literally 2 seasons in good equipment, so saying Custer is a guy that will win a few races and probably make the Chase every year isn’t a bad thing.

I’ve never understood why saying a guy is a top 20 driver is some kind of insult. There are only a few guys that dominate the sport, there’s gotta be mid pack drivers too. There are not gonna be 37 Kyle Busch’s in the field lol. I think Erik Jones, Buescher, Larson, Chase, Byron, Bowman, and Blaney are better prospects then Custer, and they have not torn up the scene yet. Larson and chase have the most wins with 6 a piece. Also keep in mind Almirola has had literally 2 seasons in good equipment, so saying Custer is a guy that will win a few races and probably make the Chase every year isn’t a bad thing.

Agreed lol.

Also I'm not sure what to think of Custer yet. Any of the 2019 NXA "big 3" really.

I wonder why everyone keeps pointing to SHR and saying "Top Equipment"?
Tony was a pretty good driver and yes he won a championship in his own car BUT
not a season champion and was lucky Carl made mistakes.
Harvick is the only other good driver at SHR and I wonder how he would have made out without his current CC? By the way, Harvick also has only won one championship.Clint has had 1 decent season and could not win anything other than a few races. Almirola is only slightly better than
he was at RP43 and I think that is because the equipment is also midfield quality.
I think Suarez is better than his equipment is.

Danica has her best ride right now. :D

What I have seen is Custer continuing to improve as he goes on. He is in position to win the Xfinity title. I don't remember a year when the competition has been this good in the Xfinity series. Too bad Bell and Reddick are moving to cup, I would like to see them line em up for another year myself and can give a rat's ass if any of them move up. Doesn't matter who it is these days too much, when they go up to cup, they mostly get buried under all of the obligations and red tape that comes with the job and it becomes one.

I actually see Cole Custer as kind of a Joey Lagano type driver. The guy that actually has to work twice as hard to prove he belongs because everyone thinks that his money and family is the only reason he's around. From what I've seen the guy definitely deserves a shot in a cup ride, a lot of drivers have been moved up with a lot less success. Give him a couple of years in good cup equipment and I see him being a consistent contender.

I don't know what the problem is this year. Maybe everyone is thinking to far ahead
to the cars for next season. Penske, HMS, and SHR are all falling to the wayside.
Toyota (JGR) with only 7 cars on track still have 3 cars racing towards the championship
and the 18 is only in it because he had a great lead starting the playoffs.

I don't know what the problem is this year. Maybe everyone is thinking to far ahead
to the cars for next season. Penske, HMS, and SHR are all falling to the wayside.
Toyota (JGR) with only 7 cars on track still have 3 cars racing towards the championship
and the 18 is only in it because he had a great lead starting the playoffs.

might be because this is a Cole Custer thread.

When Custer first hit the truck series, he was winning races there at a young age. I realize Xfinity is tougher, but I expected him to be a more consistent winner there.

He does have 7 wins this year, but 1 win each of the last 2 years. He's either finally coming into his own or a "career" year. I guess I unfairly compare him to Bell.

When Custer first hit the truck series, he was winning races there at a young age. I realize Xfinity is tougher, but I expected him to be a more consistent winner there.

2 wins in truck over 3 years
9 wins in Bush over 4 years (7 this year)

I don't truly know if Custer is worth a darn or not, but I DO know that not EVERY driver comes out of the box setting the world on fire. Sometimes it takes awhile for the light to go on and it all begins to make sense. Maybe that is what has happened to Custer. Also keep in mind that success or the lack of success in the Xfinity series is about as accurate of a predictor of Cup performance as using a magic eight ball.

Bumping this for obvious reasons. Cole's in the 41 next year.

I hate to see Daniel lose his ride but I think Custer deserves the ride if only because he has the sponsor money.
I would like to see Daniel at RCR in Xfinity so he gets a good chance to prove himself and work up to another shot at cup. He may end up like Algier and be happy to stay in that series.

Really bumped for Suarez but stoked to see Custer come up. I ****** love this dude's attitude, reminds me of a young Kevin.

HAAS Automation & whatever other deals they can piece together is my guess.
So basically Haas will be paying out of his own pocket and yet he was complaining that Suarez didn't have enough sponsorship money. Sounds hypocritical to me.

So basically Haas will be paying out of his own pocket and yet he was complaining that Suarez didn't have enough sponsorship money. Sounds hypocritical to me.

Suarez and his sponsors (Carlos Slim probably) said they would pay more down the line & I'm guessing Gene said no.

I don't think they have announced Custer's sponsors yet, the decision to make the move to cup was today.

Sounds like an excuse more than anything.

He wanted Custer to replace Suarez.

I don't mind Matt, but he's been far from a champion this year if you ask me. I hope Friesen gets him.

Following up on this.. I wonder what Cole anticipates, truly. Thought it was interesting that he said in Xfinity you are competing against 10-15 cars, and in cup it's 25-30. Does he naively assume it's simply a more competitive series?

There probably are 15-20 really competitive cup cars. But what Cole may not be prepared for is not just the increase in competition, but talent. Same with Bell. They are dominating the Xfinity series. In cup, not only is there more competition, but there's a lot of drivers ever bit as talented with more experience. And there quite a bit of drivers even more talented, with A LOT more experience running on tracks longer than he's been racing.

We'll see how he adjusts.

Every driver must adapt to the changes in competition but also race lengths
which means they must also increase the time they can focus. I think it is odd that Bell has shown at times he isn't as focused at the beginning of some races. Of course with the car advantage he knows he can make up spots easily. Not going to be the case in cup. Starts and restarts along with pit road are your best chances of gaining spots.

Every driver must adapt to the changes in competition but also race lengths
which means they must also increase the time they can focus. I think it is odd that Bell has shown at times he isn't as focused at the beginning of some races. Of course with the car advantage he knows he can make up spots easily. Not going to be the case in cup. Starts and restarts along with pit road are your best chances of gaining spots.
I agree. I was shocked yesterday, Bell wasn't a factor at all.

Tyler and Custer outdrove him yesterday. Cole had the most impressive drive imo. Reddick was out to a cruise but Custer made him work for it.

I thought Jayski shut down?

ESPN shut it down but some of the people working for Jayski (I think the original creator as well) decided to bring it back.

Ryan Newman is ahead of him in points despite missing three races.

Yikes.

Cole Custer and Austin Dillon are my two least favorite drivers in cup. Both hold rides simply because of family and have not produced results to back up that opportunity.

Tyler Reddick is the real deal though.

I'm reserving judgment on Cole since these are early days for him. It has been a baptism of fire, I'll say that much.

Back
Top Bottom