College Basketball 2022-23

Isn’t this something crazy like 10 of the last 11 defending champs that didn’t make it out of the first weekend? This thing is hard with a target in your backs.

Penn State is in Eli Manning mode.

Roll Tide, finally! Hope these boys win this for Eli here.

Isn’t this something crazy like 10 of the last 11 defending champs that didn’t make it out of the first weekend? This thing is hard with a target in your backs.

someone in the studio was explaining it well, the length of the game just 2 20 minutes halfs you have to come out and be good right from the get go, the longer the game goes on as a favorite if you're behind you really start feeling the pressure to perform and the crowd may start to lean with the underdog.

North Texas (29-7)/Wisconsin (20-14) & UAB (28-9)/Utah Valley (28-8) for the NIT Championship in Las Vegas next week on ESPN2.
I like the NIT too, I was watching Cincinnati vs Utah Valley last night and thinking the NIT gets crapped on but it’s a good tournament.

I like the NIT too, I was watching Cincinnati vs Utah Valley last night and thinking the NIT gets crapped on but it’s a good tournament.

I agree. The NIT is a fun tournament. Need to make sure teams like UNC are participating next time.

There was also the CBI Finals at the Ocean Center in Daytona last night before the NIT. I believe Eastern Kentucky won the CBI over Charlotte 49ers.

Great game with Gonzaga betting UCLA last night they swapped the lead at least twice in the last minute.

San Deigo State currently on a 12-0 run against #1 Alabama

call me crazy but I like the tournament better when the chalk advances. I cant get excited for an Elite 8 of Creighton, SDSU, and FAU which quite frankly if it were best of 3 those teams wouldnt be advancing. I want to see the best of the best compete...... the UCLA's, Duke's, Kentucky's, UNC's, Kansas, Duke, Indiana..... programs like that. The parity in the sport isnt for me, I appreciate an upset or few but too many this tournament for my taste. I dont know if the committee really got it wrong this year with the seeding or what. I will say its been wide open this year, the NIL and extra Covid year I think have muddled things. I hope I dont sound like a death bedder for basketball but I like the teams win that are supposed to win, I guess thats why I prefer the NBA I guess... give the me the best of the best at the most pressure packed time.

call me crazy but I like the tournament better when the chalk advances. I cant get excited for an Elite 8 of Creighton, SDSU, and FAU which quite frankly if it were best of 3 those teams wouldnt be advancing. I want to see the best of the best compete...... the UCLA's, Duke's, Kentucky's, UNC's, Kansas, Duke, Indiana..... programs like that. The parity in the sport isnt for me, I appreciate an upset or few but too many this tournament for my taste. I dont know if the committee really got it wrong this year with the seeding or what. I will say its been wide open this year, the NIL and extra Covid year I think have muddled things. I hope I dont sound like a death bedder for basketball but I like the teams win that are supposed to win, I guess thats why I prefer the NBA I guess... give the me the best of the best at the most pressure packed time.
Exact opposite, it means college basketball as a whole is improving a sport is not fun when it's dominated by the same schools and no one else ever has a chance. Dominance is overrated.

Exact opposite, it means college basketball as a whole is improving a sport is not fun when it's dominated by the same schools and no one else ever has a chance. Dominance is overrated.
Imo, Dominance builds greatness, it’s hard to climb the mountain and even harder stay on top. I appreciate and envy that journey. I’ll take a dynasty any day over a flash in the pan or a Johnny Come Lately

A go-ahead alley-oop in OT of a Sweet 16 game is just crazy. I think this tied a single-game tournament assist record too.

This. Once my team is out and my bracket is officially busted, I root for chaos.

Imo, Dominance builds greatness, it’s hard to climb the mountain and even harder stay on top. I appreciate and envy that journey. I’ll take a dynasty any day over a flash in the pan or a Johnny Come Lately
The problem with this is that the best team throughout the season very rarely wins the tournament. March is a huge crapshoot

The problem with this is that the best team throughout the season very rarely wins the tournament. March is a huge crapshoot
Oh agreed. It’s a huge crapshoot, that’s why teams like the 06-07 Gators are special...Even to make the Final Four in back to back years is hard.

Programs like that forget the point of college athletics. They are pro training grounds. "Greatness" is just misallocated school funding.

Programs like that forget the point of college athletics. They are pro training grounds. "Greatness" is just misallocated school funding.
I agree that college athletics lost the plot a long time ago but the biggest athletic departments pay for themselves and then some with all of the TV revenue and big money donors. It’s usually the mid-majors and low majors without all of that who depend on per-credit hour student athletic fees to an extent.

I get what you mean and I think TV ratings will probably suffer for it, but it’s been good to see fresh blood deep into the tourney personally. It sure feels like the game is changing the last few years but there’s still little to no NIL regulation, the COVID waiver year still has a couple of seasons before it lapses, more lax transfer rules, a lot of accomplished veteran coaches have retired just recently. With a few seasons I could see blue bloods reclaiming their status in March so I don’t take this period of parity for granted. I think just this past week they already approved new legislation to limit second-time undergrad transfers.

Fair enough. I’m not going to get in a debate about the hypocrisy of college athletics/college programs vs the pros, enjoy what you’d like. I just prefer the future pros and big time programs duking it out in March.

I get what you mean and I think TV ratings will probably suffer for it, but it’s been good to see fresh blood deep into the tourney personally. It sure feels like the game is changing the last few years but there’s still little to no NIL regulation, the COVID waiver year still has a couple of seasons before it lapses, more lax transfer rules, a lot of accomplished veteran coaches have retired just recently. With a few seasons I could see blue bloods reclaiming their status in March so I don’t take this period of parity for granted. I think just this past week they already approved new legislation to limit second-time undergrad transfers.
Sure agreed. I think it’s pretty cool San Diego St made it this far, gosh they’ve been so good for so long. I also am rooting for Gonzaga and Mark Few to get one finally. The other Cinderella’s…. Eh…good for them. I’m just astounded that some of the bigger programs have not figured out the transfer portal yet…it’s like free agency for college athletics and some of these coaches are clueless using it, you could literally reload every year without waiting for recruits to develop. I think Miami this year is a great example of this and Kansas St too.

Sure agreed. I think it’s pretty cool San Diego St made it this far, gosh they’ve been so good for so long. I also am rooting for Gonzaga and Mark Few to get one finally. The other Cinderella’s…. Eh…good for them. I’m just astounded that some of the bigger programs have not figured out the transfer portal yet…it’s like free agency for college athletics and some of these coaches are clueless using it, you could literally reload every year without waiting for recruits to develop. I think Miami this year is a great example of this and Kansas St too.
Gonzaga started as a Cinderella too, so who know who might be able to parlay this into long-term success. If not, then it’s a cool run that people will remember and that’s fine too. This stuff is just cyclical mostly so I don’t worry about it too much. I think guys like Scheyer will be fine in the long run. Some of the older coaches like Boeheim and Jay Wright didn’t seem to want to have to keep up with the portal and NIL and the younger guys can, and that’s a transition period at those schools too. Boeheim openly complained about that stuff his last few years, some of those guys are just stuck in their ways and don’t have the energy for it. It’s just another aspect of recruiting that makes you have to be on the trail all the time.

Florida Atlantic is 35-3. People who know basketball know they are legit. It's not their fault that the ncaa selection committee doesn't watch that much basketball.

This has been an amazing tournament. Kansas State just played 3 all time great games in a row.

Florida Atlantic is 35-3. People who know basketball know they are legit. It's not their fault that the ncaa selection committee doesn't watch that much basketball.

This has been an amazing tournament. Kansas State just played 3 all time great games in a row.
The committee clearly just phoned it in this year. Just awful seedlings all across the board

35-3 playing in conference USA. You think they’d hit that mark playing in the Big 10 or Big 12?

35-3 playing in conference USA. You think they’d hit that mark playing in the Big 10 or Big 12?
No, didn't say they would. That would easily give them the overall number one seed. I said they were underseeded and anyone who watched them play this year knew that. I'm guessing you didn't watch them much.

No, didn't say they would. That would easily give them the overall number one seed. I said they were underseeded and anyone who watched them play this year knew that. I'm guessing you didn't watch them much.
I didn’t full disclosure, probably should have made that known but I have a feeling that was apparent. Didn’t watch any C-USA games, mainly Big 10, ACC and some SEC. Caught some late night PAC12 and non conference UConn.

Love this matchup between the 24 vs 45, good racing

I just can’t believe FAU’s whole season and especially this Final Four run. That was such a futile program before Dusty May got there, one of the worst programs in the country. Even now they have by far the smallest high school-esque gym in C-USA.

SDSU would be a great champ after being one of the programs robbed most by COVID cancelling the 2020 tournament.

Back
Top Bottom