Condos

We discovered the Venice area when my parents built a house and retired here in 1965. Never had any idea we would end up where we are. I would get frustrated when we came to visit with the traffic, jammed restaurants, etc., and said there were three things I would never do:
1 - retire in Florida
2- live in an over 55 community
3- live in a manufactured home.

NEVER SAY NEVER!!!!!!
And the irony is, we like it here, find plenty to keep us occupied, and get involved in community activities and the community proper. It is small by comparison but we own our property, a reasonably sized lot compared to most places and the entire community consists of 364 dwellings and by next month, residents will have dwindled to about 35% full time residents.
I do miss the seasons in northwest New Jersey. The open fields, dairy cattle and smell of the farms. Those are things that are subtle but surprising how they mean so much.
If we're still considered "snowbirds", I can live with that. :)

As I explained, a snowbird, defined by us, isn't just a visitor but "retirees" that live here year round also. @Whizzer is a snowbird but one of the rare good ones. I stand by my statement.

That's interesting as everyone I have know who is a native Floridian defines a snowbird as someone who spend 1/2 the year up north, i.e., the warmer months up north and then travels down to FLA when the weather turns cool. Yes, they cause greater traffic issues and all the other fun stuff you've thrown out but they ain't at fault for it. They were invited down by the good people that run the state in Tallahassee.

That's interesting as everyone I have know who is a native Floridian defines a snowbird as someone who spend 1/2 the year up north, i.e., the warmer months up north and then travels down to FLA when the weather turns cool. Yes, they cause greater traffic issues and all the other fun stuff you've thrown out but they ain't at fault for it. They were invited down by the good people that run the state in Tallahassee.

I wish we had shut the gate around 1975. :booya::cool:

I like Naples a lot.

Thinking about towing my Century down there. For the fishin’ ...

I promise not to butt into lines and complain about everything. Also a generous tipper.

Oh, and cash. Will bring that ... keep Florida green, so to speak.

I like Naples a lot.

I promise not to butt into lines and complain about everything. Also a generous tipper.

Damn tootin, the kind of snowbirds we like. Just regular folks. :booya:

Reactions: sdj
Only if you live on top of one of the smokies. And not a Northener a snowbird. That's defined as someone escaping the cold weather to wear flip flops and shorts and try to appear as cool.

Nope I didn't make that up. Snowbirds are casual visitors, frequent visitors and the ones that retire, move here and try to tell us what's wrong with the way we do things. Set us straight so to speak.

Yeah, I'm aware of snowbirds. Didn't get called that because I was in FL during August and September.
I got the impression that the guy who called me a "Northerner" was a northern transplant himself, but one who had been down there long enough to consider himself a FL native now. Anyway, thought it was a hoot.

I like Naples a lot.

Come on Down to Myrte Beach, its closer and cheaper and you can still catch your limit.

We have snowbirds here in Arizona, they flee before the first 100 degree day and are not seen again until the temps fall below 90 or so.

Back
Top Bottom