Congrats to Dale Jr.

ted@economy

in the interest of equal time
Dale to the points lead again . BIG TIME. Congrats to Dale Jr. , Kellie , Steve . This may be the year.

The top 5 have separated themselves a bit from everyone.. 20 point gap between 5th and 6th and only an 18 point gap between 1st and 5th

Austin Dillon is still 10th in points. Pretty damn top 20 consistent thus far.

If he does win it, hope he wins in everyway possible. Non Chase and Old Chase. He is on a good road right now.

The points mean nothing, Ted. As Slice alluded to, it's all about the Homestead Bowl.

I would say it amounts to French kissing your own sister. But then again, I live in Sick Dog County, hence Juniors lead doesn't even amount to that big of a deal around here.

The Homestead Bowl.
Trademark-symbol.png

What it is, and while it is just the March Madness portion of our season, I just hope they remember to say start your engines, rather than saying it is time for the kickoff during the final sudden death elimination 36th round of the tournament. The final epic chapter of the Road to Homestead that actually finishes in Homestead.

Todays tip for today's resonance fan: If your favourite driver is blocking standing up and yelling DEFENSE while holding up actual fencing, while face painted in your drivers colors is appropriate.
One day even air horns will be the norm, I am so excited.

The points standings are an indicator of how good a team is so far this season. Beyond that they're worth little more than bragging rights, but bragging rights are very important to the nascar fan, so...

DALE JR RULES!

The points mean nothing, Ted. As Slice alluded to, it's all about the Homestead Bowl.

The points race is a piece of crap , I agree . Junior's career on the other hand has be resurrected . First by his sister Kellie who dragged him out of bed , put him in a racecar and pushed him till he got to the top .( All the while building a financial and racing empire around him) . Stevie was the magician who finally made it happen . Junior has taken a lot of crap along the way on this forum and others , who painted him as a no talent hack who could never win a race . If he never wins a championship , I think he has finally proven himself as a pretty fair racecar driver .

The points race is a piece of crap , I agree . Junior's career on the other hand has be resurrected . First by his sister Kellie who dragged him out of bed , put him in a racecar and pushed him till he got to the top .( All the while building a financial and racing empire around him) . Stevie was the magician who finally made it happen . Junior has taken a lot of crap along the way on this forum and others , who painted him as a no talent hack who could never win a race . If he never wins a championship , I think he has finally proven himself as a pretty fair racecar driver .

As a reformed Jr. Basher, he has impressed me the past 2 or 3 years. I pull for him with no shame now.

The points standings are an indicator of how good a team is so far this season. Beyond that they're worth little more than bragging rights, but bragging rights are very important to the nascar fan, so...

DALE JR RULES!

I bet bragging rights are important to the Danica supporters too :einstein:
Just sayin ya know

I still remember saying after today's race "oh, Jeff pulled out a 12th place finish out of that chit car. Thats gonna be good for points." BUT NO. NASCAR DOESNT AWARD SKILLED DRIVING OVER THE WHOLE SEASON ANY MORE

I agree with what many are saying that having the points lead in the first 26 races doesn't mean much anymore. But it really hasn't mattered much since the Chase was implemented, especially from 2007 on, when the bonus points to start the Chase started being based on wins instead of points position.

I agree with what many are saying that having the points lead in the first 26 races doesn't mean much anymore. But it really hasn't mattered much since the Chase was implemented, especially from 2007 on, when the bonus points to start the Chase started being based on wins instead of points position.

Agreed . Nascar has been getting farther way from the points system that was instrumental from day one . This year , if there are 16 winners , including guys like Ambrose , Mears , Larson , Dillon aqnd Bayne , it could happen that Jimmie Johnson doesn't even make the chase. I don't blame Nascar for this travesty , I hate that they are trying to appeal to fickle fans who don't know what they want and network executives who know squat about racing . Here's hoping all of our stars get a win.

I have no problems with Dale the person, in fact I'd bet he's a riot to just kick with. I don't hold his driving talent or lack thereof against him either, I place him in the top 20 of what's being offed at the track these days. I just don't buy into all the hype that surrounds him or his family, never did, never will.

Agreed . Nascar has been getting farther way from the points system that was instrumental from day one . This year , if there are 16 winners , including guys like Ambrose , Mears , Larson , Dillon aqnd Bayne , it could happen that Jimmie Johnson doesn't even make the chase. I don't blame Nascar for this travesty , I hate that they are trying to appeal to fickle fans who don't know what they want and network executives who know squat about racing . Here's hoping all of our stars get a win.
Even though we've had 6 different winners in the first 6 races, and plenty of big names still yet to win (i.e. Johnson, Kenseth, Gordon, Stewart), I still don't see us getting to 16 winners by the time the Chase starts. I'm willing to bet there will be at least a couple winless drivers that get in on points.

I still remember saying after today's race "oh, Jeff pulled out a 12th place finish out of that chit car. Thats gonna be good for points." BUT NO. NASCAR DOESNT AWARD SKILLED DRIVING OVER THE WHOLE SEASON ANY MORE

It was Kurts day, everyone else wasted tires and fuel.

Jr does have a history of taking the points by storm in the first half of the season and then blowing it all away in the last half.

It was Kurts day, everyone else wasted tires and fuel.
What does that have anything to do with my post? :confused:

Jr does have a history of taking the points by storm in the first half of the season and then blowing it all away in the last half.

What does that have anything to do with my post? :confused:

I quoted the wrong post, meant to quote post #19
I havent had enough coffee yet:rolleyes:

I was agreeing with you that points dont matter much

I agree with this.. they may not mean much when the fall comes but right now it gives the best indication of who is running well and will only show more as we go. If I could afford it I would be willing to make a sizeable bet that the champion will come from the top 10 in points from the regular season.

Even though we've had 6 different winners in the first 6 races, and plenty of big names still yet to win (i.e. Johnson, Kenseth, Gordon, Stewart), I still don't see us getting to 16 winners by the time the Chase starts. I'm willing to bet there will be at least a couple winless drivers that get in on points.

I'm thinkin if Jimmie leads the points and doesn't make the chase , there are going to be big time changes .

Ah, the 'pointless point system' of NASCAR. Doesn't mean a whole helluva lot to the winners in this series these days but it will to those non winners. Like what was mentioned earlier, I don't think we'll see 16 different winners in the first 26 races either. Anyone know when the last time was that there were 16 or more winners in the first 26 races of a Cup season? I'm guessing it's a rarity. The points will become meaningful to those winless drivers come Richmond but as far as who is leading at any point during the season, what's it matter? My guys currently leading the points but it don't mean jack.

I don't know, his old man was pretty good.

Indeed.

Dale Jr is the polar opposite of his dad and I think that is a good thing. At the same time, I don't think Jr has near the mental toughness of his dad, but considering different generations and different times. It makes a difference because you have to remember when he was younger. He would do some laps in his car and go into the trailer and be done with it, but now he work ethic improved, fitness, and he improved his consistency, in which the speed was always there, but he just lacked that consistency.

His dad is a damn legend and I'd say the face of NASCAR after Richard Petty. It would be difficult to repeat that type of success because times changed, drivers change, technology advanced, etc. So, I have no problem with him not emulating his father. Last names make a difference. See those names at the bottom, Dale has lived up to his last name much more than the offspring of those who have those last names... Not bad, at least I would say... (Graham, Bruno, Marco, Nicholas, Foyt IV)

Rahal
Senna
Andretti
Prost
Foyt..

I'm thinkin if Jimmie leads the points and doesn't make the chase , there are going to be big time changes .
Doesnt the regular season points leader get in?

His dad is a damn legend and I'd say the face of NASCAR after Richard Petty.
The face of NASCAR is Jimmie Johnson.

NASCAR is doing all it can in it's power to move away from the Petty/Dale era.

^ I mean I know that, but I'm saying Dale Sr WAS the face for sometime.

People wanted Jr to be equal or better than his dad, that is dammed difficult to pull off.

Doesnt the regular season points leader get in?

The face of NASCAR is Jimmie Johnson.

Get in line Jimmah.

If the nascar commercial kicking off the season and the Daytona500 is any indicator, the face of nascar is Danica, Dale Jr, and Johnson in that order.

Its funny how the media is like "where's Jimmie Johnson? Whats wrong with the 48? Bla Bla Bla"... when he's been leading laps, finishing top 5 or 10 every week and been in contention to win at least 2-3 race already and is sitting 5th in points only 18 points back from the leader. :rolleyes:

Its funny how the media is like "where's Jimmie Johnson? Whats wrong with the 48? Bla Bla Bla"... when he's been leading laps, finishing top 5 or 10 every week and been in contention to win at least 2-3 race already and is sitting 5th in points only 18 points back from the leader. :rolleyes:

Still...we should enjoy it while we can , right.

Back
Top Bottom