Cope Explodes

Tire? Remember Menard at homestead a few years ago?

Just from my inexperienced view of the replays, it looked like the tire blew after the primary explosion, not as a cause of if. It looked like the left side of the hood started rising a bit :)14) before the right front tire let go :)15). In the replay, at :24, the left front looks up, although it's tough to tell through the smoke. When they had the car on the hook, it looked like the left front was still intact and inflated, but since it was hanging in the air I could very well be wrong.

Also, as they were towing it, I made a point to look for fluids dripping out. I didn't see anything. Does anyone have a replay to see if they had to put kitty litter down where he came to a stop?

If it was something illegal, he definitely was NOT getting his money's worth. I think we've all seen engines go boom on dragsters, but this is the first time I've seen a stock car just flat-out explode.

... It looked like the left side of the hood started rising a bit :)14) before the right front tire let go :)15).
Huh. I wonder how ': 1 4' and ': 1 5' wound up being interpreted as emojis?

:14
( : 1 4 )
:)14)

Ah. It's the combination of left parenthesis and colon that did it. I thought that only worked with right parens. That explains why ':24' wasn't altered; because it had no parens. around it.

Just from my inexperienced view of the replays, it looked like the tire blew after the primary explosion, not as a cause of if. It looked like the left side of the hood started rising a bit :)14) before the right front tire let go :)15). In the replay, at :24, the left front looks up, although it's tough to tell through the smoke. When they had the car on the hook, it looked like the left front was still intact and inflated, but since it was hanging in the air I could very well be wrong.

Also, as they were towing it, I made a point to look for fluids dripping out. I didn't see anything. Does anyone have a replay to see if they had to put kitty litter down where he came to a stop?

If it was something illegal, he definitely was NOT getting his money's worth. I think we've all seen engines go boom on dragsters, but this is the first time I've seen a stock car just flat-out explode.
Left tire is up after the explosion.Look at the 8 sec mark.Very weird?

Makes one wonder
explosion-620_2197358c.jpg

Rick Allen blamed both tires failing at the same time. What a moron.

It was extremely odd, none the less. I hope we get to find out what caused that.

Rick Allen blamed both tires failing at the same time. What a moron.

It was extremely odd, none the less. I hope we get to find out what caused that.
Yeah LF was still up AFTER the explosion.I'm wondering how much pressure are in those shocks?

That much of an explosion I think would produce a fireball at least?

Yeah, I have no idea...

Then they said the smoke was likely brake dust? That's a lot of damn brake dust.

That is a lot of brake dust, I'd imagine this track produces a lot. The brakes are huge on these cars, I could sort of see a catastrophic brake failure....

I would imagine the thing must of had must of had some kind of ignition problem but maybe the efi did not of shut off? And kept loading it up with fuel and it ignited and she blew up.

I would imagine the thing must of had must of had some kind of ignition problem but maybe the efi did not of shut off? And kept loading it up with fuel and it ignited and she blew up.
Would be a good guess maybe, but , Xfinity and Trucks are still running carbs not EFI.

Blown left front tire and an awesome cloud of brake dust IMO

Yeah LF was still up AFTER the explosion.I'm wondering how much pressure are in those shocks?
I dunno about a shock. Look at the clearance between the splitter and pavement, or the leading edge of the left side skirt. If a shock let go, wouldn't those be much lower? They appear to have the amount of clearance I'd expect from a stationary car with no downforce. Click through the video; the left front hardly seems to recoil at all. I've seen more bounce from a car hitting the curbs.

I dunno about a shock. Look at the clearance between the splitter and pavement, or the leading edge of the left side skirt. If a shock let go, wouldn't those be much lower? They appear to have the amount of clearance I'd expect from a stationary car with no downforce.
Shock doesn't support the car, the spring does. Shocks just dampen the suspension travel.
I think this was fuel related. That was a heck of a blast.

Shock doesn't support the car, the spring does. Shocks just dampen the suspension travel.
I think this was fuel related. That was a heck of a blast.
I'll admit I know little about auto suspensions. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, it just seems to be too forceful for automotive pneumatics alone. Clearly, the right tire is collateral damage; the fender around it is intact. What puzzles me about being fuel related is why the air intake housing appears to be intact. I expect a fuel explosion would push back up through the air intake enough to beat that off its mounts. That, and the apparent complete lack of flame in the explosion. I realize this isn't a high-speed piece of footage, but I can't find a trace of red or orange no matter how many times I click through it.

Back
Top Bottom